PDA

View Full Version : Does any one target Land Locked Chinook..?

Troutski
05-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I know this forum is dedicated to Koke's but in my state they have over the past 10 years has been aggressively stocking the rivers above impounds with adult Chinook Salmon and these fish find there way back to their accent spawning grounds and low and behold we are now reaping the benefits of this work. These beauties are reaching the 25" range and on light tackle (my Koke gear) are quite the hand full. They seem to target similar pray as the Koke's do with some modifications to my lures and baits; I have been climbing the curve to doing very well. Just wondering if any other states are doing the same stocking. On a second note they are very good on the BBQ...

Chuck

Full_Monte
05-30-2009, 09:39 PM
California has a number of lakes with landlocked king salmon. I've caught some up to about 18 inches while fishing for kokanee. I'm sure others have caught bigger ones...I hear stories about 6 pound kings.

MackPrince
05-31-2009, 12:28 AM
I think WA has stocked some salmon in Riffe Lake.

Fishon18
05-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Just to add to Full Monte's report. California does have several lakes with those king salmon and each lake seems to have various approaches to catching them. I live near Don Pedro and the baitfish there is the threadfin shad. I will rig up a frozen shad/anchovie and bend it to slow roll for excellent results. There is a good bite going there right now. thumbsup

Scott

HiTechKoke
05-31-2009, 07:36 PM
California definitely has a planting program and here are the numbers from last year from the various lakes they plant:

http://www.kokaneepower.org/articles/41.pdf

I'm not sure what they are going to plant this year as I believe they were short of having fish. I like to fish for them in Shasta. Done Pedro kicked out several 5lbr's yesterday at the derby. Rolling bait seems to work the best but I like to use the UV White Hoochie with a sling blade too.

Kevin

DC18FT
06-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Though the kings don't taste as good as the kokes, I enjoy chasing them at my local Folsom Lake. I have found that a faster trolling speed 3-4mph triggers the Kings to bite. At these speeds we are trolling spoons smeared with Pro-Cure with no dodgers....good luck...

Bryon