PDA

View Full Version : Merwin Up Date -- 5-29-09--

Kokonuts
05-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Ive been fishing at Merwin with Chuck83 the last few days & I dont know if it is Chuck & his skills or that the fish are just finally hitting hard, but we've been having a BLAST!

We've had limits most days and went 13 for 3 of us yesterday when we came in early in the afternoon! So far Chuck is in the lead with the most fish but I came in with a 16" beauty for the largest! Most are about 14' & fat!

OK......Heres the hot tip, (Sorry Chuck) we've been using the PROTROLL Apex with the E chip in the solid orange & Orange & Green Colors, Silver Flashers, 1 oz. lead, 30 pulls or about 60ft. of line. The South side from the Hidaeway Marina to about 11/2 -2 miles torward the dam has been very good.

I'll let Chuck decide if he wants to give out the info on his "Magic Sauce" that he puts on the white corn. But I think its really good!

I hope to see more of you out there at the lake!

thumbsup...Kokonuts

SilverBullets
05-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Great report Kokonuts, thanks for sharing! Good to hear your spanking em allready. Have you had time to try out any of your creations yet?

Kokonuts
05-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Havnt tried them too much yet! But so far I like adding the spin & glows to flashers. I use the Blades then put the large size S&G far enough back with some beads to reach the middle of the blade, they really add to the flash! I think they will work even better when the fish start going deeper.
Speaking of flashers, I found the "Inline Spintroll"made by Delta Tackle Co. in Canada at Fishermans Marine. Its a good looking troll with 6 blades made of plastic so its very lite. The blades are dimond shape & are connected to the wire at each end, lot of flash! I will try it out this weekend.
Go to:www.deltatacklecompany.com

tooexcited...Kokonuts

chuck83
06-05-2009, 12:30 AM
We better keep the corn a secret for now. Has anybody an apex without the Echip?

SilverBullets
06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
We better keep the corn a secret for now. Has anybody an apex without the Echip?

I use the Hot Spot Apex and the Pro-Troll "e" chip version, and haven't seen a whole lot of difference. Some days they might prefer one over the other because of a slight difference in action, but most of the time the catch rate is very close to the same.

*Rip'n Lip*
06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted to see if any of you are having the same problem as me. I was out to Merwin 2 weeks ago and had 20 fish in just a few short hours.......That being said, i was at Merwin last Sunday the 7th and I caught 3 squafish and 1 kokanee that was only like 8". We were out on the water at 5 A.M. and the fishing was HORRIBLE......are you all having the same bad luck? i threw the entire tackle box at them. All of the go to gear......Thoughts? was it the storms we recently had? HELP...... i want to take some friends up that have never been kokanee fishing this weekend but i dont want to waste their time....... .

sweetpea
06-10-2009, 11:20 PM
hey rip n lips.. try trolling in deeper water and getting your gear deeper. seems like the kokanee are a little deeper.earlier i was catching closer to the shore now more towards the middle of lake. also if you get a hit throw in neutral for a sec. seems like a second hit sometimes happens. might be just slowing the troll a bit. also i have been trolling slow. .5 to 1 mph.

*Rip'n Lip*
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I have downriggers and we were fishing anywhere from 30 to 60 feet. There were at least 20 other boats out there and no one was catching fish. Not sure if it was just a bad day or the fishing died off......has anyone been since last sunday?

SilverBullets
06-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted to see if any of you are having the same problem as me. I was out to Merwin 2 weeks ago and had 20 fish in just a few short hours.......That being said, i was at Merwin last Sunday the 7th and I caught 3 squafish and 1 kokanee that was only like 8". We were out on the water at 5 A.M. and the fishing was HORRIBLE......are you all having the same bad luck? i threw the entire tackle box at them. All of the go to gear......Thoughts? was it the storms we recently had? HELP...... i want to take some friends up that have never been kokanee fishing this weekend but i dont want to waste their time....... .

Fishing is generally better before a storm when the barometric pressure drops. There are always those days when either the planets are out of whack, wer'e holding our mouth wrong, or we just picked the wrong fishing hat that morning. As far as moon phases go, I've had some of my best days koke fishing during a full moon...go figure. About all you can do is change things up. If your long lining, try ball trolls and a short set-back for making tighter turns and like sweetpea mentioned change up your speed to entice a strike. Where I fish when trolling isn't producing, we change up tactics and give jigging a try.

Kokonuts
06-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Merwin has been very tuff the last several days from all the reports I've read and my own fishing last Fri. & Sun.

I've been using everything I can think of & spent hours on the Lake but the fish just arent hitting like they did a couple of weeks ago.

I did notice that their was fewer boats on the water Fri. & Sun. I guess more people are fishing the Big River now that the season is open.

Maybe next week will be better, we'll see. thumbsup

Kokonuts

jzell
06-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the world of Merwin. Always periods through the summer that no matter what you try or where you go.....tuff fishing.

jz

Kokonuts
06-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Well at least I know it wasnt just me! When this kind of thing happens I always wonder if its something I am doing wrong. crymeariver

jzell-- When are you going back up to Merwin?

I am planning on going back up Thur afternoon & fish Fri Sat Sun., Plenty of room in the boat if anyone would like to go send me a PM! thumbsup Kokonuts

jzell
06-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Sometime in July we'll be back.

Estuary Sturgeon in Astoria this weekend followed by a coastal springer trip the following. Also need to put some shad in the freezer before too long.

Then in July will be making a couple of coastal (near shore) Coho trips.

Kokanee ain't the only species,

jz