PDA

View Full Version : First time at FG

Dorado
05-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone:

I have fished the Gorge from the shore, but have never taken my boat down there. I live in Pinedale, and was thinking of heading down sometime in the next few weeks to target kokanee. I have downriggers.

I was hoping for some hints as to where the best place to launch and fish coming from the north, and the general areas to target, lures, how deep etc. Any tips?

Thanks!!

Kokaholic
05-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Welcome aboard Dorado, I would recommend coming down from pinedale to rock springs and then over and drop in at either green river and down to either buckboard, holmes or anvil. You can also go downa nd drop in at firehole to. I would go green river side.

I am just a little partial to Rocky mountain tackle and radical glow products.. So I would start with a hyper p[lad dodger, watermelon dodger, bahama mama dodger with a squid in pink, chartruse or combos there of. run these down between 15-30 feet and you should find yourself right in the thick of things. trout in both lakers and rainbows are plentiful and the ever fiesty kokes are there for the taking.

Good luck to you. Hopefully some others will jump in and share some ideas with you. Good Luck!

Propnut69
05-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Welcome aboard great to see another Wyomingite here. I like kokaholic am a lil partial to the RMT stuff also.kokaholic has listed some very good color combos using the squids and the dodgers. If you don't have a good map of the gorge ,then buy one its worth it weight in gold for useful info. The east shore straight away from buckboard is a good place to start. Stay off the shoreline about 80-100 ft. Set your lures about 100 ft off the weight and about ten feet down ,and you should get into some kokes. The big bend area is also a good place to fish. Farther on down the lake,around bringars ranch house is a good place also. Same set up as before,100 ft behind the weight,10-15ft down. A good fish finder is almost a must when trying to find where the kokanee are. Hope this helps a little. and good luck..

Dorado
05-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys,

Where can you get a good map, does anyone in RS or GR sell the fishin' maps?

Also, do you ever jig once you locate the schools?

Propnut69
05-29-2009, 12:07 AM
I believe that both Ace hardware and wind river sporting goods here in green River sell the gorge map. I think the store at buckboard has the map also. As for jigging for kokes.I know that people will jig for them,but as for me i like to be moving when I'm on the water.

SuperD
05-29-2009, 12:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken, won't he be in the middle of the Buckboard tournament in a couple weeks? I'd steer him clear of that area if it is the same time frame. Even if it is closely after, they will have been pounded pretty hard. Even with sacrificing a little size, I might suggest farther south just to get to some water that hasn't been beat to death. Maybe Anvil or Pipeline.

Pro~Fishing~Sea
05-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Dorado,

The derby is the 13th and 14th of June it is from the Pipeline north.....Keep in mind there are alot of water and many places to fish for Kokes so I wouldn't let the derby change your plans....Our lake is not like California lakes where the lakes our smaller and have fewer places to fish for kokes and a derby can effect the bite in the past years I fished the two derby at Flaming Gorge I have fished during and after them and caught plenty of fish......With all that being said think dodgers and squids short leaders 9"-11" and they have wanted a slower troll 1.2-1.5..Think pink and orange and you'll be in all kinds of kokes....kokaholic nailed the depths 15'-30'.......I was up fishing the last couple days and my buddy and I knocked around 20 fish for about 4 hours of fishing in the mornings up to
4.3 pounds most fish are in the 3 pound range...

Propnut69
05-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Cory,its good to see you on the board. I gave a holler out to you and your buddy last Wednesday,but didn't get no answer.

Petty4life
05-29-2009, 04:46 PM
thanks for the post/report cory. with guys like you making reports we will all be better anglers. LOL hope to see you on the water soonthumbsup

SuperD
05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Dorado, I guess the advantage of going during the zoo is you'll be able to mark all the clogged trolling lanes as places you should fish the "second" time you go to Flaming Gorge. laugh hystlaugh hyst

Pro~Fishing~Sea
05-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Propnut,

Sorry about that I was somewhere in Wyoming and don't get the best cell service...They should put a tower on a deer for better roaming....next time leave a message so I can call you back...I'm headed back to the lake in the morning for some weekend fishing...Just got a call from halojm 32 kokes to the boat today it sound like the fish have turned on.....

Bduck
05-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Welcome aboard Dorado. thumbsup These guys live the Gorge. They won't steer you wrong. The RMT sets is an excellent choice. I'm loaded with it as well. I'll be heading up to the Gorge in the early am. My next post will be either late tomorrow or Sunday morning. From what I've been reading and hearing from some local sources here, the bite is turning on. Can't wait to get there. I just made the decision late last night at work that I am going to head up there.