PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Kokanee year round ?

Flyguy55
05-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi
Does anyone fish Kokanee year round ? On Navajo Lake NM where I fish I seldom see anyone fishing Kokanee before June , and only snaggers after mid Sept .
I've caught Koks in early May with the down riggers at 10 feet and long setbacks , and I've had the lake to myself. I've not done as well in Sept fishing the same way. I have marked large schools of something down deep over 100 ft.
I asked the F & G biologist one time where they go all winter , and they had no information.
Of course the spawning fish die . What happens to the other year classes ?
I'm very interested in learning techniques of Jigging .

Dick

SuperD
05-27-2009, 06:57 PM
It kind of depends where you live. There are guys on this board and others that ice fish with great success for Kokes during the winter months. If you live in a region where other species come into season, guys typically give the kokes a rest while they fish for other types of fish as to not hammer the under class of kokes before they have a chance to grow.

Digi-Troller
05-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Ice fishing for kokes is great. I've had most of my success right under the ice, where the sonar doesnt always pick them up. Sitting in an ice tent with the light blocked out, you can see down sometimes close to 20 ft... that is the kokanee sonar of choice for me. Its hard on my back though! You have to be patient koke fishing though because the schools move in and out on you. One minute youre getting them as fast as you can get a jig down, the next hour youre staring into barren water! lol But, it is fun, especially at Flaming Gorge.

Kokanee Slow
05-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Welcome aboard Flyguy55! You might want to use the search feature on the various boards here (for info. on a wide variety of subjects). You can also hook up to Ifish and search also for info. on your topics of choice. Happy fishing!