PDA

View Full Version : I've been fishing Kokanee for over 50 years

Flyguy55
05-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi
I'm Dick Roberts
I just found this forum .
I spend summers on the San Juan River . My place is 10 mi below Navajo Lake.
I bought a 2.5 hp Johnson from my uncle when I was 14 and have fished for
" Silvers " ever since. Those days I fished American Lake near Tacoma WA.
The last 40 + years mostly at Navajo. Some years I catch lots of Kokanee around 4 lbs.
I never did like using Christmas Trees and used Pink ladies with a dodger for awhile.
About 30 yrs ago I bought a couple manual downriggers . With the riggers I found I could use just a small spoon or spinner and very light tackle and catch just as many and have a lot more fun.
I still fish that way with out attractors .
I did buy some small dogers and hooches to try this year .
Any other NM kokanee fisherman on the forum ?

Kokanee Killer
05-27-2009, 11:44 AM
welcome fly guy 55thumbsup

Kokaholic
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to reading about your upcoming trips.

Bduck
05-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Welcome Flyguy55 thumbsup How many lakes you have in NM with the silver creatures?

Fallriverguy
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Welcome Flyguy55. I am very interested in your experience fishing without attractors. I have been playing around a little with that and have luck. I catch kokanee on a jig with out attractors so I figure why not trolling.

Flyguy55
05-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Bduck ,There are two lakes that are well known and restocked with Kokanee . Navajo is a deep canyon reservoir that is well over 300 ft deep even at low water levels. the longest arm goes 36 mi .
Heron Reservoir near Chama has good kokanee and also has Mackinaw trout . There may be Kokanee in a couple others .

Fallriver guy , If I have someone with me I usually fish 2 downriggers and a lead core line in the middle. I've always done best with long set backs , around 75 to 100 ft. I have about 30 yards of mono at the end of my leaded line.
I use homemade spinners and beads simular to weddingrings and Shoepeg corn.
Watching the other boats around , I usually do as good and often better then the regular trollers using heavy tackle and christmas trees.

I'm interested in trying Jigging . I have been fishing out of mt 26 ft Searay twin engine Cuddy , I don't often mark fish on fishiinder. I think the boat scares them away , the reason for the long setbacks .
How do you know where to jig ?

SuperD
05-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Navajo has been on my lakes bucket list for a few years now. I hope to get the chance some time. Welcome!

SilverBullets
05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Welcome to KFF Flyguy55! Looking forward to your posts and reports.thumbsup