PDA

View Full Version : eleven mile 5/14/09

niteskies
05-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi, this is my first post to this forum. I thought I would start off with an update on the kokanee fishing at eleven mile.

After hearing from a friend that he caught several kokanee at eleven mile on Saturday 5/9/09, I took a vacation day on Thursday 5/14/09 and my son and I decided to give it a go.

Here is the report on our Thursday outing. It took us a couple of hours to find the kokanee and after we found them it wasn't long before the wind blew us off the lake, but we did we came home with four. We hooked a few more but they came unbottoned before we got them in the boat. The largest was 16", all of them were caught between deer island and the buoy line down at the dam end, they were down at the 20' depth. We were trolling with Sep dodgers - watermellon and the other a pink/silver pattern with wedding ring spinners tipped with shoepeg corn.

All of the fish were healthy and no sign of gill lice.

I hope this is the beginning of a rebound in kokanee fishing at eleven mile!!!

regards,
niteskies

jjlantz
05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, that's nice to both hear and see, good job. I was bummed about 11 mile's koke population crashing just as I was getting in to fishing for them. Here's to hoping that 11 mile recovers fully and returns to what I've heard that it has been.

silverkoke
05-19-2009, 05:24 PM
good to hear the kokes are on the rebound , id love to get after them at the mile , but i dont have a boat

bobco
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
great to hear a good report.I have some friends that got into them throught the ice this winter and they were all clean also, hope we are on the upswing..

Kokanee Killer
05-19-2009, 10:10 PM
man great catch, you guys are killin me,i will be koke fishing in 17 short days, but whos countin loltongue2

Fishon18
05-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Eleven Mile, haven't fished there since 1996 while stationed at Fort Carson, but remember enough to know we caught some quality kokanee there. Brings back some faded memories thumbsup Thanks for sharing......

Scott

Troutski
05-20-2009, 04:55 AM
I haven't fished there in quite a few moons, I was also stationed at Fort Carson and spent plenty of time on that body of water.
Just out of curiosity did the Pike ever take hold? This might tell you how long it has been since I was there (left winter of '74). Great about the Kokes though, that lice can be very difficult to eradicate in a body of water that size.
Welcome to the site...this place will make you drool all over your self.

Chuck

bobco
05-20-2009, 07:29 AM
pike at 11 mile and spinney have taken hold very well and well fed by the CDOW.

niteskies
05-20-2009, 10:20 AM
The Pike population at eleven mile and spinney is so robust that CDOW actually recommends that angler keep all pike that are caught. As I understand it CDOW wants Spinney as a trophy trout lake and never wanted Pike in Spinney. Years ago the Pike traveled up river into Spinney and have really taken hold. To offset the impact of Pike feeding on the small fry trout they were stocking with, they are now stocking with larger trout in the fall.

niteskies

Troutski
05-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Funny how nature finds away....we have a lake here that was void of life for the longest time. Each time the ODFW stocked the lake the fish would not spawn due to the fact that there is no rivers or creeks feeding this body of water; it is spring fed. Well the mighty Koke found a way and we now have a great Koke fishery where once there was not a fish to be found.
One more tip bit of this lake is most; and I mean most people don't even know there are fish in the lake...This lake gets very little pressure...and then only a few actually catch fish.
Colorado has some great fishery's that's for sure. Thanks for the update, sure brings back some memories...

Chuck

Kokekook
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the 11 mi. koke report. Anyone had any success lately? I'm going up tomorrow for the weekend and will be trolling for a few. Will let you know of any success.
Kokekook

Kokekook
08-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Got skunked at 11 mile this weekend. I've been using the same gear and fished the same stretch that niteskies reported success with to no avail. Fishfinder marked fish everywhere but I couldn't talk any out of the lake and into my boat. We caught some nice rainbows but how can you be satisfied with trout once you've caught some feisty kokes on light tackle. What a thrill. Found it hard to gauge my speed due to the wind. Guess I'll have to spring for the GPS. Any suggestions at 11 mile would be appreciated.
Kokekook

kochanut
08-29-2009, 08:46 AM
good to hear the kokes are on the rebound , id love to get after them at the mile , but i dont have a boat

get a float tube, a decent fish finder, and jig off the island.