PDA

View Full Version : Lake Pardee - 5-16-09 Kokanee hors d'oeuvres

HiTechKoke
05-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Fished the PK Derby on Sat with my younger daughter... It was a great day fishing and catching but the fish were just a wee bit small, 9-10 inch class. We had steady action except for one lull period and most of the time one or two rods were busy.

Pardee's natural spawning population seems to have caused a large influx of fish this year as the lake has not been planted now for several years after it was determined there were more natural than planted fish through a tagging program. There were a few bigger fish exceptions in the 13 to 14 inch class and all you needed was one of those and a 10 inch fish to place. Our bigger fish were all 10 inches so that's what we turned in. In the end a great derby and fun to be out with friends and Kokanee nuts.

Lures that worked the most were mainly pinks but overall these things worked great:

RMT Pink / White Assassin Spinner
RMT UV Pink Splatter Spinner
RMT UV Pink Splatter Squid Spinner
Red Hoochie Mama
UV Purple Splatter Hoochie

Dodgers were a mix of RMT Pink Hyperplaid, RMT Purple Funky Frog, Seps 3/0 and more importantly the kids custom painted and taped sling blades fresh from the manufacturer (our spare bedroom) pictured below. Kids custom tackle is a big thrill when it catches fish. Scents were all over the place, Garlic, Carp Spit, Kokanee special etc etc.

Now for a few pics as proof I am not bragging about these Pardee Monsters!!!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_QhsKMU8Rwio/ShBxoIv0VPI/AAAAAAAAALA/DH7clmFvSvw/s800/img_1733_std.jpg

and to get some perspective on these giants... here's how you can put nine kokanee on one plate all filleted... I thought I beter add a Pro-cure bottle for perspective. The family will be dining on Kokanee fingers tonight!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_QhsKMU8Rwio/ShBxoFAwt_I/AAAAAAAAALE/osfCSrODO5E/s800/img_1741_std.jpg

And the custom sling blades to give the kids credit for their creations!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QhsKMU8Rwio/ShBxoTzO8mI/AAAAAAAAALI/F5w3s73DveI/s800/IMG_1752.JPG

Fallriverguy
05-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Small but still tasty. Those kids custom dodgers look good. Maybe the limit needs to raised at Pardee to account for the natural spawning.

Bduck
05-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Great catch HT. I sure miss Pardee.Thats one of my favorite watering holes. Tell your kids fantastic job on the dodgers. Keep it up. thumbsup

DC18FT
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
As stated..."small but still tasty"thumbsup. With the holiday weekend approaching, I am thinking of hitting the quiet Pardee waters for some of those "fish sticks".

Bryon

HiTechKoke
05-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Small but still tasty. Those kids custom dodgers look good. Maybe the limit needs to raised at Pardee to account for the natural spawning.

Yep they could use it. Oregon has always been much more progressive in their management on overpopulation by raising / changing limits. There are several lakes that could use a higher limit but the state is so broke that won't happen.

Kevin

SuperD
05-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Those kokes look like Flaming Gorge kokes compared to Bucks Lake kokes. laugh hyst

HiTechKoke
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Well we tried to hold them out as far as we could! Funny thing though is we watched some friends catch a fish about 5 inched... the size of the sling blade so we all poked a bit of fun at them on the water.

cptdarel
05-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Well we tried to hold them out as far as we could!

Kevin..........I have a lens that can fix that.:rolleyes:

Old School
05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Kevin,

Very nice report and pics. I plan on hitting Pardee come July.

I hope last year wasn't an anomally, because it turned out to be an awsome season.

Last year was insane by mid July. Early limits every time with a 14 inch minimum. I finished my season off in early August last year with a double on one hoochie. I swear...1, 15+incher...and 1, 5 incher.
Problem was I already had 4 in the box and the two put me over the limit.

See ya out there soon.
Old School

HiTechKoke
05-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Tks Old School.... IMO the Kokes will be a bit off of last year due to the big influx of these 10 inchers...the late season KP derby, Sep 5th, will be my next attempt at Pardee, it is a week or two earlier this year so they shouldn't be in full spawn phase just yet but I enjoyed learning how to jig for them last year, even if it was a day after the weigh in!