PDA

View Full Version : After all this learning I've done, my wife is teaching me how to Koke fish!

Full_Monte
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I'll post the details of our latest Kokanee adventure in the California section, but I thought the rest of you guys would get a kick out of this. Two days ago, my wife got ahead of me in landing Kokanee. She started showing me "how she did it". As near as I could tell, these pointers could be useful to those of us who think we have learned something:

1. Troll your sling-blade dodger upside down.
2. When the fish-finder shows fish at 40 feet, set your depth at 80 feet. Don't bother telling your husband you are doing this. He doesn't mind running the ball into the bottom of the lake.
3. When using a downrigger, don't tighten your line so that your pole has a good bend in it. Winding it up tight just makes for pesky line releases unrelated to a fish being on the hook.
4. Check the condition of your corn occasionally. Bring your weight in, and release your release clip from the line by hand. Land the kokanee that is on the line, that has been worn out from being dragged behind the boat and will be grateful for being removed from the hook by now. This allows you to check your bait and land fish at the same time, reducing labor by at least half.
5. When your husband reads fish on the finder, find out the depth and immediately move your downrigger ball down or up the water column, no matter how shallow or how deep. Downriggers get lonely for attention and need this kind of a workout.
6. Most importantly, don't listen to any helpful hints provided by your husband. After all, who is catching more fish? nananananananananananana

SuperD
05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
My buddy's wife fishes much the same. I've seen her pick a lure out of the tackle box that no self respecting fish would ever bite and she hooks up regularly. When she has a topline rod out over the OB motor, she uses a 25 - 30' set back and still catches fish. The lure is practically in the prop wash for pete sake. F_M, whatever you do, just don't break and start trying it her way. Be strong man!

BlackTalon
05-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I just wish I could get my wife out on the water with me. Appreciate that while she may be (insert appropriate word here, maybe annoying, or irritating) that at least she is out there spending time with you.

Evan

SuperD
05-16-2009, 03:07 PM
If you do get your wife out on the water, a tip for all guys is to not get caught in the habit of just having them drive all the time. They will begin to think that is the only reason you brought them.

SilverBullets
05-16-2009, 04:01 PM
That's some good stuff right there Monte!laugh hyst I guess thinking outside the box and doing things completely opposite is something the fish don't see too often. You better be careful...sounds like she got bit by the kokanee bug!thumbsup You'll know when your really in trouble when she starts making up her own secret corn scents!laugh hyst

Kokanee Slow
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I feel your pain!crymeariver

MackPrince
05-17-2009, 02:13 AM
My wife tends to be good luck when she agrees to come, although last year my four year-old had a stronger iron bladder. The nice thing about her enjoying being on the water is today we went down to the Columbia River for dinner and as we watched the boats cruising she remembered the three of us in my 14ft. boat last summer (and a new baby boy now makes 4). She actually mentioned in front of friends that we need a bigger boat but used the "someday" disclaimer.

I'm going to focus on the "we need a bigger boat" part and see if I can get lady luck back on the water more often in the next year or so. fencing

Full_Monte
05-17-2009, 08:49 AM
she remembered the three of us in my 14ft. boat last summer (and a new baby boy now makes 4). She actually mentioned in front of friends that we need a bigger boat but used the "someday" disclaimer.

I'm going to focus on the "we need a bigger boat" part and see if I can get lady luck back on the water more often in the next year or so. fencing

Ah...the famous quote pops into my head again. "Every man who owns a boat owns one that's three feet too short". I used to be able to fish three people in my 15 ft. boat, but with koke gear, I find that two people is plenty. One advantage of the smaller boat is that I can use the same motor for trolling and fast traveling. In three days of fishing on the last trip, I burned 10 gallons of gas. Maybe you should plan ahead and get a patio boat capable of handling 8 or so. laugh hyst

HiTechKoke
05-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I got a good laugh at this post and as always there are no absolutes with Kokanee fishing and mixing it up when the bite is slow is the key a lot of times to getting them on the bite. If she is catching more fish let her keep on experimenting but knowing how deep she is might be critical after reading your Melones post. tongue2 Well if you lose gear it's just another way to re-stock and you might as well add a few more things in on the order to justify shipping or gas costs... :-)

Kevin

Bduck
05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I just wish I could get my wife out on the water with me. Appreciate that while she may be (insert appropriate word here, maybe annoying, or irritating) that at least she is out there spending time with you.

Evan I'm with you BlackTalon. I would love to get my wife on the water other than a joy ride.

dunnigan jim
05-17-2009, 10:29 PM
FM Took the wife to BERRYESSA today . I think these women have been talking on their own fishing forum laugh hyst. She had to pick out the pretty pink sling blades with pretty pink spinners or houchies. So as the great husband i am i set her up first. Had her set ups in the water while i set up mine . Doubles before i could get mine set up. 14 1/2 -16 kokes. Took me 40min before i got my first hook up . She had 3 in the boat by then. OH ya she told me that she wasn't going if she had to drive the boat so i used the kicker with the elect. bow w/remote to steer the boat . Needles to say it was a great day fishing and learning her style of catching fish and useing the net.worthy12worthy12 Glad you 2 had a good time at melones also.

Full_Monte
05-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Maybe Kokanee have a woman's taste in colors so women are better at picking them out than men. What man would naturally select pink?

Propnut69
05-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Maybe Kokanee have a woman's taste in colors so women are better at picking them out than men. What man would naturally select pink?

Pink is a very popular color for kokes here on the gorge. I have a wide variety of pretty pink stuff that produces fish.