PDA

View Full Version : jigging

sweetpea
05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
does anyone do any jigging at merwin? i would like to try it out but don't know the techniques or lures. any help would be appreciated.

sweetpea
05-30-2009, 10:21 PM
hmmmmm.... thouht i might get some more tips on how to jig . most people troll and i dont see many boats doing anything but troll. well it seems to work very well. i was just thinking of changing some things up. anyone fishing yale? i hear its where a lot of people are going.

MackPrince
05-31-2009, 12:33 AM
SweetPea. I've noticed two fellows who strictly jig at Merwin. Today they were targeting fish as shallow as 12 ft.
I'd try a small gibbs/silver herring style jig or a 1/6 oz. krocodile.

SilverBullets
05-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Around these parts the pink and white Gibbs Minnow is the lure of choice. Different technics will produce. You can anchor up over an area in around 40-60' of water, and jig a foot off the bottom. Another method is to target suspended fish out in open water. Figure out how many pulls it takes to get down to where you see em on the finder. If you see them jumping on the surface in the morning, cast out with a 1/4 oz. Gibbs and count to 10, then lift rod, lower and reel in a couple feet...repeat until fish on! If no takers, cast out and count to 15 or 20 next time before reeling in. Remember the count down when you find what depth their biting at. There are many other jigs out there. Some people use lures like the Swedish Pimple, Kastmaster, Crippled Herring, Laser Minnow by P-Line Tackle, and the Buzz Bomb. Another option is to get some 1/2 oz. banana weights and make your own. Take a knife and run it along the weight to shine up the lead, then paint one half of it red, orange, or pink. Then top coat so the shiny half doesn't dull. Throw a split ring and a hook on it and your good to go. I've read reports that this homemade jig will outproduce the store bought jigs some days. Some people only apply scent, other's corn or maggots. The hits will occur as the jig is falling. Try lifting your rod different heights until you find what kind of technique they prefer. Be ready to set the hook, they hit hard!

Kokonuts
05-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Hello Bullets & Sweet Pea......Another thing I have done with the Banana Weights is put them in a heavy bench mounted vise and flatten them out a little. It gives them a different shape plus the vise jaws leave a diamond shape pattern on each side. they also look great with the silver flake nail polish that I get from my wife(Note: Be very careful with that one) the nail polish comes in many different colors!

I made up some but havnt had time to use em yet! I had a thought that I might have made up too much stuff this winter but then I realized I was wrong!!

laugh hyst...Kokonuts

sweetpea
05-31-2009, 08:15 PM
thanks for the tips you guys. i'll have to try it out soon.

Kokehead
06-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Buzz Bombs. Thats what got me started koke fishing years ago.

jzell
06-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Back to your question....

I haven't noticed anyone jigging at Merwin, but maybe because I haven't looked close enough or asked it I saw someone who appeared to be.

jz

Kokonuts
06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Jzell.....Have you been fishing at Merwin lately? if so what are you using?

jzell
06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Not jigs.

The usual early season selections...mainly hoochies and beaded spinners.

jz

clear lake resort
03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I Live On A Lake Thats Glaciar Feed From The Beautiful Mt Rainer.it Is Around 25miles From Mt Rainer And We Are Located In The Foot Hills Of Some Of The Most Beautiful Unique And Pristine Forests In The Country.the Name Clear Lake Is Rather Fitting Since Its Glaciar Fed Its Extremly Clear And Pristine.i Got Carried Away Sorry Anyway Back To Kokanee Fishing My Uncle Discovered A Formula That Can Catch You As Many Fish As You Want To In A Day.its All About Finding The Schools And The Depths They Are At We Anchor At Our Secret Spots Feed Them With Corn Feed And They Secret Ingriedient Is ?????????? I Cant Tell You I Will Say When We Throw It Down It Resembels Schools Of Other Kokanee We Use A Fly Rod With A Secret Hook With A Secret Bait If My Uncle Knew I Gave Up Any Of This Info I Would Be Slaugtered

MackPrince
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
101whocares101
Hmm a secret lure with secret hooks. I have a few of those too but can't seem to figure them out as the instructions were left off the package because they were a secret too.
laugh hyst

Kokonuts
03-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Sounds like you are feeding them & then fishing.

Years ago I was off work and would go up to a nearby lake to fish off the bank for trout. One day I noticed a group of old timers who were catching a lot so I got a little closer to where they were fishing but didn't get a bite.

The next time I went up to their spot early in the morning as they were setting up. Thats when I saw them punch holes in several cans of Creamed Corn and toss them out in the water. It wasnt long before they were catching trout like crazy!

......laugh hyst....Kokonuts

skookum9
03-24-2010, 01:58 AM
I do hope no one is using corn to chum for fish. Not only is it illegal but it also kills too many fish. I hope the fishing public is better educated than this by now.