PDA

View Full Version : What type of rods and reels do you use?

chuck83
05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I am looking at buying two new rods one for jigging and one for trolling. Just wanted a little advice from you guys.

CurlysLures
05-12-2009, 10:48 PM
For trolling you MUST get a Red Jared Johnson Lamiglass with the TICA reel we used them last weekend and they are phenomenal. Awesome rods and at a great price in comparison to others.

Neptune
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I use 8' UL Diawa Spinmatic rods with Pflueger President UL spinning reels. They load up great on the downrigger and have great sensitivity and they are durable.

Where I fish for Kokes there are BIG Bull Trout and I've had to battle an 8lb Bull I caught on one last year on 4lb test and after about 20 minutes got it to the boat, took its picture and let it go. Plenty of rod and reel for Kokes.

SuperD
05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
For trolling rods, look for ultra lights in the 2 lbs - 10 lbs rating. For jigging, I'd recommend a slightly stiffer action like a light or medium light, maybe 6 lbs to 12 lbs rating. Reels for both should be bait caster or level wind, the smaller the better.

SilverBullets
05-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I use a Vance's Spiral wrap ultra light rod with a Daiwa Accudepth AD17LC line counter reel for trolling loaded with 10lb maxima...8lb maxima leader. For jigging I use a bit stiffer rod, but good sensitivity on the tip. It's got a spinning reel loaded with thin braid (to detect bites better, and no stretch for quick hook sets) with a 10' section of fluorocarbon leader. Spinning reels are an asset for casting and jigging when their up near the surface.

SuperD
05-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I prefer the line counter for jigging as I usually have graphed the fish I'm jigging to. Knowing what depth I'm at is helpful if for no other reason to add confidence that my presentation is where the fish are.

S.S. Fireball
05-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Shakespere agility rods for the downrigger, and i prefer the shimano cardiff 200 reel to the abu garcia. 8 # maxima line. Never tried jigging so I'm looking for info there as well.

It's like asking what flavor ice cream, everyone has a preference, no two are the same.

SuperD
05-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Shakespere agility rods for the downrigger, and i prefer the shimano cardiff 200 reel to the abu garcia. 8 # maxima line. Never tried jigging so I'm looking for info there as well.

It's like asking what flavor ice cream, everyone has a preference, no two are the same.

I like your choice of set up a lot. Too bad the Cardiff doesn't have a clicker.

Old School
05-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Shakespere agility rods for the downrigger

If your on a budget these cant be beat. 29.99 at fishermans wearhouse. comes in multiple sizes, but I like the 7 ft, 2 piece, ultra light. 2-8 lb line.
One negative- slightly long handle butt for DR.

I also have a diawa that was the same price at FW. Looks like virtually the same blank, but has a shorter butt for better DR fit. Also 7 feet.

I use mostly spinning rods and shimano reels. That just me.

Old School

Fallriverguy
05-14-2009, 04:51 PM
For a jigging rod I really really like the Berkely Tactix TXS601L (1123007). The jigging rod is paired with an Okuma Epixor reel. I have a slew of trolling rods, but for the money, the Daiwa Spinmatic is hard to beat. My trolling reels are Shimono Cardiffs.

HoweAboutMontana
05-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Another nice rod for the value minded is the Daiwa Heartland series Kokanee downrigger rod. They make a couple different lengths and actions. They go around $50 retail.thumbsup

Pair it up with an accudepth 17 or 27 series and I think you have a great combination of quality and price. Nice looking tooworthy12

Petty4life
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
i run 4 lamiglas double J red rods with tica caiman gold reels with 12lb strenthumbsup

skyhammer
05-15-2009, 07:08 PM
I am rather new to Koke fishing, so I have been using what I already have.
I just had my left knee replaced and my right ankle fused, so it will be another month before I get to wet a line.
I just had a 5wt, 7.5' Rainshadow blank made for a bait caster, have to wait and see how it works.
Other than that I have a 7.5' HMG Fenwick 4-10lb spinning and a Dawia 7.5', Procaster, spinning, 6-12lb slow action and a 7' Fenwick Gold Wing, 8-15lb, I thought I would try for with jigs.
For reels I have several Shimano 250GTTE's, but they are for Steelhead, so I bought a Revo STX to try out.
For spinning reels I have several Shimano Sustain 2500's.
As for line, pretty much anything but Maxima. I know it is very popular, but I will only use it for leaders.
I am mainly a Salmon/Steelhead fisherman and Maxima is very popular, but I would rather use DR cable instead, but that is just me.