PDA

View Full Version : 1st trip to the Gorge

gonefishing
05-12-2009, 09:57 PM
This will be my first trip of several for the year, and hopefully many more in the coming years. I am heading in on the 17th of May and hanging around for a full week of fishing. I have been reading alot on the forum, but have a a quick question. Do I need a forest service permit if I launch at Buckboard Marina.

I can't wait to dip the line on this trip. Does fishing get better by mid June. I am spending this week getting familiar with the lake. I will come back in June or July for another week! Sense it is on 6 hrs from my home, I may throw in a couple of weekends also.

My daily schedule is to fish for Macks daybreak till 9am, then kokes to 2 PM and bows in the evening. ? is this a reasonable strategy for this time of the year?

Looking forward to hearing coments from you gorge pro's.

Thanks gone fishing

SmokeOnTheWater
05-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Your arriving just after one of the heaviest fishing weekends of the year. It's Derby weekend at The Villa. These fish will see everything under the sun thrown their way this weekend.

Don't stick to your plans especially if you're not getting bit. My experience is that the macks tend to be shallow, 40' or less, at daybreak and tend to move deeper as the day progresses to rest. Try the kokes from daybreak till about 10 am. Don't forget to drag a lure near the surface for rainbows and the occasional shallow cruising koke. The bass won't be too active with reported water temps in the 40's. Try jigging for macks during the middle of the day especially if you have good electronics. Stay right off the bottom when you find them.

If you get tired of fishing, take a sightseeing trip all the way to the dam. The great weather we are about to receive this weekend and all next week should make the trip spectacular. The afternoon sun on the red cliffs around Sheep Creek will make memorable photos. Don't forget your camera!

The Utah side requires the following; "Vehicles must display a Recreation Fee Pass outside of the campground if using other recreational facilities (e.g. boat ramps, picnic areas, day use areas). Passes can be purchased from visitor centers, campground managers, and local businesses. The holder of a Golden Passport is not required to purchase a Recreation Fee Pass if the passport is displayed on the vehicle dash." Maybe someone from the Wyoming side can answer for the Buckboard area?

Have a GREAT TRIP and most of all Catch some Fish!

gonefishing
05-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the feed back. I was wondering how the derby might effect the fishing. Hopefull the kokes will pick up and get less shy by mid week, Nice weather is coming as I have been checking the report. I am really just sizing things up and will have my wife along. Next trip will be with a couple of guys and we will get after the fish more seriously. Appreciate your insights!

Good fishing to you!

jacksonlaker
05-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Smoke, great advice...I fished the Gorge on a one day trip on Sunday. You can read my report on the BFT Wyoming board. We found macs and rainbows shallow, less than 40 feet, and later in the day the channel had a lot of fish..85 feet. We couldn't get any bigger fish to bite and the Kokanee bite was slow. I like your advice about if your are not getting bit try something or somewhere else. Flaming Gorge is a HUGE lake which takes years to learn. Dont be afraid to try different techniques. We caught our biggest fish trolling a gold Mepps spinner off the downrigger 50 feet behind the ball in 25 foot of water...and most of the fish were macs !! As for the permit, I think you need one to launch at Buckboard. You can get a day pass or a season one if you plan on several trips.

sickday
05-13-2009, 09:39 PM
I have done the best trolling for rainbows and kokes early in the morning till about 8-9. Around then the wind, hopefully, calms down some and the mack fishing is good.

BROWNBAGGER
05-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Excellent advice smoke, I have learned the same from the experts....kokes in the morning, mac's in the afternoon. And I mean early (sun up) for the kokes. Yes, you have to show a rec pass anywhere on the gorge; either side.

gonefishing
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Thank you everyone for all your advice. I will hit the Kokes early. I have a full week to fish, and so shall it be.

GoneFishing