PDA

View Full Version : Rods and reels

chuck83
05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I was wondering what rods everyone uses. Looking to buy a rod to troll with and a rod to jig with. What size of reels are you guys using?

jzell
05-12-2009, 11:48 PM
The new Lami "Downrigger" rod is a sweet stick for trolling with or without a DR. The jiggers will chime in with their 2 cent about that type of schick.

I like the Diawa Accudepth 27LC for a matching reel. Ya gotsta have a line counter. Counting pulls is old school.

jz

chuck83
05-12-2009, 11:57 PM
You sealed my decison that is what I was leaning toward. I am going to Lamiglas in the morning. The reels are not a bad price either. You can buy a whole set up for the price of one Rouge kokanee rod.

Troutski
05-13-2009, 02:26 AM
I use a 3 wt fly rod blank custom built with 13 guides along with a Depth Master Gold line counter reel, fantastic combo to say the least. You can jig or troll with it, the nice thing about the line counter reel is targeting the fish on the sonar and dropping the presentation right on top of them with out all the back counting I use to do with a spinning reel.

Chuck

FishHunter
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I use a couple of different reels with counters and none of them are accurate. After I load them up with line, I check the counter at different distances to see how the counter is working. I measure at 30 ft, 50 ft, 70 ft and 100 ft.

I have one Okuma that is off by 25 ft for every 50 ft of line out, meaning that at 50 ft the counter is reading 75 ft and at 100 ft it reads 150 ft, etc... It does make a difference on the amount of line you put on the spool and near full is best. I check mine any time I strip off or add on a large amount of line.

It is frustrating thinking you are jigging at 50 ft where the fish are at on the sonar and actually jigging at 30 ft where there are no fish at all.

DODGER
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I guess that I'm just cheap. I don't have a line counter reel and don't intend to get one...I count out the number of pulls that I'm fishing at untill I get the first fish and then go back out to that same distance and put a half hitch in the line and insert a small piece of 50# braided dacron in the loop to mark my spot...The dacron buffers the main line from cutting into itself on the loop and is soft enough not to cause a hangup for the line when I'm reeling in or putting out so I just put my reel on freespool until I hit my mark on the way out and put it into drive when my marker is between the reel and the first guide...If the fish change their depth preference or I'm done fishing for the day that piece of Dacron pulls out without a problem and I can reel up and start again next time...Or use that same rod and reel for a bit of drift fishing on one of the rivers..

Dodger.

Kokonuts
05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Last year I bought 2 of the Lamiglass Kokanee Special rods, the blue ones. So far I really like them
I have a Shimano Curado on one and a Okuma LC on the other. I really like the LC reels except for there size, a little too big. I wish someone would come out with a smaller size.

I've also tried the clamp on LC but cant get it to work with the small line size, maybe heaver line would work.

thumbsup...Kokonuts

DCR
05-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I haven't fished any jigs yet. Would you want a little faster rod for this and maybe a spin set up?

I've fished the Lamiglas downrigger rods on my buddies boat and the Lamiglas 7'6" glass 3wt. built as a downrigger rod. Both of them are sweet rods and load up nice. Now I'm using the Batson RDR Kokanee blank built with a graphite handle and the new micro guides. These are awesome matched up with a Shimano Curado.

MackPrince
05-26-2009, 02:04 AM
For jigging I use a 6'6" medium light action rod. In the past I have tried rods that were medium action and 7' and found them too stiff, all the way to a tiny Zebco Microlite that was 4'6" (of which I blew two in half with good koke hooksets before giving up on the micro revolution). Some of my night fishing friends enjoy the traditional yellow glass Eagle Claws between 5'6" and 6' because they are sensitive enough for the kokes soft mouths and easy on the budget.

I've seen some nice 6'3" med/light rods lately specifically designed for vertical jigging, but I still need a little more fun $ to try one.

DCR
05-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Mark,

What I'm looking at is a 7' 2-8lb. light action. This blank has a little softer tip and a little bit of backbone in the handle section.

Also I see you live in Vancouver. I spend a lot of time in Kalama and Woodland in the summer fishing steelhead. I'll be down for a few days the weekend of June 19th. if you can get away for a afternoon to do some fishing let me know.

jc55n5
08-28-2009, 09:00 AM
JZELL, what's the part number of the lamiglass you are using?
thanks,
Jerry