PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Koke's...

Troutski
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Is it just me or has the Koke fishing been hard starting this year in Oregon, it seems like the little beast are very slow on the bite this year. I know Spring is still trying to win the battle with Winter, I will say this the Kokes being caught are few and far between; but they seem to be a bit on the heavy side. Would appreciate any input from out my way. I mainly fish GP and O'Dell and both are still in sleep mode. The Lake Trout are up and awake so my instincts tell me that the Kokes are waiting for the water to warm up a bit...please tell me this is true or maybe they just know the sound of my Merc;)

Chuck

Fallriverguy
05-12-2009, 08:26 PM
The other day Odell kicked out limits for a couple of guys in little over an hour. It sounds like GP may be picking up and Wickiup has been fabulous.

jzell
05-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Welcome aboard Troutski....and welcome to the seasonal ups and downs that is kokanee fishing.

Troutski
05-13-2009, 02:21 AM
Welcome aboard Troutski....and welcome to the seasonal ups and downs that is kokanee fishing.

Very nice to be here, not to mention just being a member is fantastic. Have you ever done any Koke fishing at Waldo Lake up on Hwy 58 ? Some of the best I have done consistently in Lane County. Most people use Odell and Crescent...my first catch came on Wickiup and from there to Paulina, after that you could say I was HOOKED. I do spend my summers at GP but this year I have on my to do list; Suttle,East and Odell for sure.

Chuck

jackycolen
06-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Even for me 2009 was tough year, either the climate was not good or fishes might have gone somewhere. Even odell which is best for fishes , never had much luck with that too.

eric71m
06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
IMHO... Koke fishing as a whole is better than last year, the fish are definatly bigger. They do seem to be a bit more finaky this year. If you dont have the right presentation, they are hard to get, but if you search there are a few of us that have quite consistant success. I think the biggest thing is to be willing to change gear, maybe, hundreds of times to try to get the right combination. I have fished sided by side against Kokaneekid and got out fished hands down, and was using things that I know work, but to no avail.
Odell lake same thing jigging... I jigged side by side with Moknots in my boat and was outfished... that o so just right twitch/jigg... LOL and I didnt have the exact same colors as he, but close... the next day out with my wife, she couldnt buy a fish and I couldnt keep them off my hooks, double fisted jiggin.
Welcome to the wonderful world of kokanee fishing... alway more gear to buy, as it goes "I don't have one of those"...

Tight Lines!

Bullitt
06-30-2010, 11:22 AM
FWIW - fish will be fish. Last Saturday at GP seemed like a bunch of fish were caught (you see some of the reports on this site). Sunday was a different story. Buddy of mine went on Sunday and got 4 for the days effort. He said he talked to several boats than only a had a few fish and comments were made by several boats about slaying fish the day before. Go figure.

I hope to explore a few more lakes this year like Paulina, Wickiup, and Simtustus. Right now, GP is hard to beat.

Rikker99
06-30-2010, 12:15 PM
And friday was even better than saturday - go figure

Lip Ripper
06-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Even for me 2009 was tough year, either the climate was not good or fishes might have gone somewhere. Even odell which is best for fishes , never had much luck with that too.

09 was one of the best years at GP that I have seen in years for big Kokanee. There was several weeks that I came home with limits and people that fished with me also took home limits. 13'' to 17'' fish were standard for last year. This year has been fabulous fishing I have been catching them since the last of February. Also limiting out twice this week in both trips. Today I used two home made lures and they caught fish all day, that's the only thing that I used. One thing about Kokanee fishing is that you need lots of Patience's. signfishin101chromefish101

kokaneekid
07-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Is it just me or has the Koke fishing been hard starting this year in Oregon, it seems like the little beast are very slow on the bite this year. I know Spring is still trying to win the battle with Winter, I will say this the Kokes being caught are few and far between; but they seem to be a bit on the heavy side. Would appreciate any input from out my way. I mainly fish GP and O'Dell and both are still in sleep mode. Chuck

I would say Oregon kok fishing has been FAST FUN & FANTASTIC. Green Peter has been on FIRE, and the Odell reports have been great. I have never wanted to call in sick so bad in my life. I'm having a hard time staying home and I'm thinking about kok's 24/7. Too many FISH in Oregon and not enough time to catch them all.

Fish On kokaneekid

Fishin-RN
07-01-2010, 11:48 AM
I've had a fantastic year too. Fished only GP this year but in 6 trips i've pulled over 100 fish, all nice, deep kokes. I usually fish Odell, detroit, suttle, merwin as well. Last year I was frustrated but I"ve had several wonderful mentors, starting with my father, Lip ripper and even talking to other guys out on the lake I learn new tricks EVERY time I fish.
So after a year of patience and persistence last year I have spent some money on my own tackle, i make alot (virtually all) of my spinners and hand tie my own hoochies. I add tapes to my flashers and it's all been paying off, little by little. Keep at it troutski, and to anyone who can't afford $4 hoochies and $3 spinners, spend on the UV slingblades and good hooks (words of kokaneekid) and buy spinner blades and beads in Bulk and experiment! signfishin

kokaneekid
07-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I have fished sided by side against Kokaneekid and got out fished hands down, and was using things that I know work, but to no avail.

The only person I'm fishing against is myself. If I would have had more than two of those lures I would have hooked you up.. My problem is I don't have enough tackle on my boat and you'll find something that is killing them but I will only have one or two of that exact thing. This winter I'm planning on getting really set up for next year. The only person I know that has enough tackle is my dad, but he's been collecting it for 5 million year. I think most of my inheritance has been given to kokanee tackle companies. I'll looking forward to fishing on the lake with Eric again the cell phone thing worked really good it's kind of like being in two places at the same time. We'll have to do it again.

Fish On Eric.... kokaneekid

Cannon
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Fishing for Kokanee is much like fishing for Steelhead. It is an obsession. You start out by catching an occasional fish. Some people give up after a couple of "learning years." Kokanee Kid has a distinct advantage over you in that his dad is an accomplished Koke angler. Be patient, invest your money wisely in your tackle. Tie your own spinners and hoochies. Spend your money on good electronics and downriggers. The better the electronics the more accurately you can target kokanee. Downriggers are a must but you can go cheap and still catch lots of fish. Not so with a fishfinder. Experiment with bait oils. Definitely get some UV liquid from ProCure to mix with your bait and put on your lures and hoochies. Kokanee is a time game, the more time you spend being a student, the more fish you will catch (if you are not sleeping in class!). Lurk and listen on the forums to other more successful anglers and pick up tricks and sooner than later you will be in the groove!

sawdustsavage
07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
signfishin Dang it, I must be a fast shopper. On my second gajilion and haven't put one in the water yet. I geuss I'm not over the boats weight capacity yet. If I am the wife may not get to fishlaugh hyst. Seriously I am convinced Kokanee are going to take a fair amount of tackle. Unlike stealhead or salmon. I did very well on both with hooks sinker swivels and good eggs. I believe this addiction wont be that economical.laugh hyst Come to think of it I must be spending my kids inheritace as well.