PDA

View Full Version : Small Lake, Big Kokes, Few Bites

kokebruzer
05-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I fish on Cascade Lake on Orcas Island in the San Juans, the deepest part of the lake is 65 feet and averages bout 25-35 feet, with the "shallows" under 20 feet. I will normally troll a red wedding ring or two-tone dick nite with a Jack-O-Diamonds. I just don't seem to be getting as much hits as the other guys on the lake. Cascade Lake has a gas motor restriction on it so I am using a Minn Kota 30 Lbs. thrust motor and trolling on the second setting out of five.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

DLM
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
How far back behind to boat is your rig? In shallow water, or in deep water when the fish are on top, you should have a minimum of 50 feet of line out. I usually run 100. If you don't have enough line out the boat could be spooking the fish and by the time they regroup your lure has passed.

That's my 2-cents. I am sure you will get more input from folks that fish the shallower lakes.

dunnigan jim
05-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Yup as dim says run your line out to 100' Check your speed 1-1.5 usually works . Check leader lenght from dodger 8" to 12" seems to work here in ca. so far. Good luck

Kokanee Kid
05-16-2009, 12:53 AM
That is a great set-up for kokes, I used to use the same thing before I got downriggers. I attatched a lead ball to the rudder to get up to 35' deep. The problem is that the jack o dimonds kills alot of the fight.

Do you have a fish finder? Thats the way to see where the kokes are. Then you can figure out how to get your gear to the fish. That = more strikes!
Im more than happy to share what I know if you would like, just send me a pm with your # and we can talk kokanee thumbsup