PDA

View Full Version : Fg 5/8 & 5/9

Lundman
05-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Got a late start Thursday night about 8:30 pm - got to Buckboard Camp Ground around 1 am after a couple stops - Walmart Evanston & Mavarick in Mountain Home. A very large racoon was runnning through the camp ground looking for a late night snack. The temperature was about 25 degrees and the wind was blown about 10 to 15 mph. I have an 8' Lance camper in truck bed for survival and I was glad I had bought the -20 below sleeping bags.

Got up Friday morning to Sunny and a steady breeze and the high temp for the day was 42 and the worst part was the fishing just plain sucked. We trolled for 9 am to 2 pm and only had 3 hits - caught two of them - one pup mack & one rainbow both under 3 pounds (good eaters). The wind picked up for the afternoon to 10 to 20 and cold.

Everyone we talked to (about 10 other boats) said they had been skunked or caught one trout. They said the wind was nuking all day Thursday. So I guess we did as good as anyone but it was one cold & windy adventure.

Headed to Manila to the Hub for a burger and beer and watch the LA & Houston Game. It was a Good decision to recharge our mojo or maybe thaw it out!! After that we headed down to camp at swim beach and it was dead calm. Full Moon was out and it was a prefect night. Woked up to frost on the boat and a prefect Sunny and calm day. Not warm but warmer than the previous day.

Headed to Luceren to get coffee and headed back up lake to go fishing. Launched and within 5 mins had what turned out to be the biggest fish of the trip 20.5 inches. In the next hour caught 4 more quality fish and had a few drive by's... We tried a couple of other spots since cruising around on glass conditions wasn't a problem but never got into the fish. So we headed back to the first place and I tried my afternoon tactic and bang - got our last two fish within 20 mins.

Loaded up and headed back to the Lucerne fish cleaning station after talking to a couple other folk who had said the fishing had shutdown about 10:30 to 11:00.

We cleaned the fish and headed to Starvation for Saturday evening and Sunday morning walleye fishing and it was a freaking heat wave on that side of the mountains - 58 degrees in Vernal thumbsup

No walleye but overall a great learning trip and had to thank the wife for spending Mother's day weekend at the Gorge instead of Lake Powell.
:eek:

Bduck
05-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Nice catch Lundman. What hard core stuff did you throw at them?movie89586

halojm
05-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Nice fish and great looking water. Hope it stays calm for this weekend. Last years derbys didn't have the best water and temps I've ever fished in. But we still caught a lot of fish.

SilverBullets
05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Great report Lundman, thanks for sharing! Those are some nice looking fish right there!thumbsup

Lundman
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Since we were pre-fishing for the Buckboard tourney - I'll just say I don't use any baits or scents. Fish were caught on a variety of colors but I had no luck on anything solid orange. I fished two rods stacked (4 total) and was catching fish at both levels. We talked to several people that had bad luck - boats broke down, trailers broke down, and no fish in the live well. It taken me about 6 years to fine tune the setup I use - most through trial and error - I have taken several folks out and got there limits so the wife & I can continue to fish the next day. I really enjoy watching people catch fish that they would never be able to catch. Plus we have several people that have diabeties that have very limited diets and fish is always on their menu.
This will be the first kokanee tourney I have entered - all the other tourney's I have entered I finished one place out of the $$ - part of the reason I entered was because I took a friend's family out and they caught some nice fish. They were traditional gang trolls with wedding ring & worm folks. I'll just say the only reason worms were in my boat on this trip was because we were going walleye fishing at starvation.
Later in the year if you want to meet up there I can show you how I fish - it's not rocket science but as you all know - if you believe what you have on catches fish then that's 3/4 of the battle.

Kokaholic
05-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Nice fish Lundman. Were you pre fishing for the Buckboard tournament already or did you mean the Villa Tourney this weekend?

FishHunter
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
My brother fished the same days, except he started out of Lucerne on Friday morning. He caught 4 kokes in the first 45 minutes and nothing after that. He moved up to Buckboard Friday afternoon and spent the rest of the day catching 3 to 4 pound rainbows from shore.

Saturday he went north out of Buckboard and got one hit all morning, but didn't get it to the boat. He talked to several guys at the marina when he was leaving and they didn't do much better.

Lundman
05-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Nope Buckboard tourney - last year we didn't get our entry form into the Villa tourney early enough (only 3 weeks early) and missed the boat - so this year we tried the Buckboard. We're team 54, so if you here "Team 54 where are you?" you know we got lost somewhere.

I am still trying to find new areas where the fish hang out and wanted to at least have 5 areas to fish during the tourney. I only have 4 now and unfortuantely only 2 of those areas had fish this past weekend. I will pre fish at least once more before the tourney - I have my eye on a couple more places I want to drag a line through.

Kokaholic
05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Ok, Alot can change between now and the buckboard tournament. lots of continued pressure, weather changes and warming up. I would do your best to hit it again a day or two before the tourney. good luck