PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Direction

SilverBullets
05-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I've read it's better to troll away from the sun rather than directly towards it, and it's best to troll at right angles perpendicular to it. Have you found this to be an asset to your catch rate? From what I've experienced it definitely helps out. When the sun is directly overhead there's not much you can do, but before noon and after... trolling towards the North or South seems to make a big difference. What's been your experiance?

halojm
05-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I agree. Especially early in the year when the fish are still in the upper water column 15-35 feet. I haven't noticed much diffeence later in the year when you have to go 50 and below for them.

Dropshot
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Plus from first light (or a little before;)) I use green flashers, either flashlites or green tape on standard cowbells, then later in the morining switch to brass or silver or red. Green seems to be the key at dawn.

SuperD
05-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Trolling in circles seems to cover all the bases. thumbsup

Propnut69
05-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Trolling in circles seems to cover all the bases. thumbsup
Lol aint that the truth,I have been known to troll in circles before.

HiTechKoke
05-11-2009, 09:05 PM
That's why boats steer clear of me and I stay away from them...as it is usually me and some kids and I have my hands full so I am all over the place. I do subscribe to the perpendicular to the sunrise theory though but my boat doesn't trust me all the time! :-)

Full_Monte
05-11-2009, 09:12 PM
When I move my weight to port, my boat steers to starboard. Before downriggers with 5 ft. booms, I never used to be part of the "drunken sailor" crowd, and wondered why some people couldn't keep their boat traveling straight. movie89586 Now I'm putting on a show myself...

Bduck
05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
The wind is always driving the boat for me. fencing

SuperD
05-12-2009, 12:14 PM
....and wondered why some people couldn't keep their boat traveling straight.

Another trolling technique to constantly remind ourselves. Lots of turns induce strikes as lures are changing speeds in the turns.