PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Smoker Owner?

DLM
05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Is anyone out there using a Bradley smoker?

I just purchased one and would like some info on how you use it with kokes, such as pre-heat time, how long do you apply smoke, tempertures, etc.

I have checked the Bradley forums and it seems like nobody there knows what a kokanee is, other than it is a beer to drink while you are smoking ribs.....

I have found some info on cooking trout fillets so I assume it would be about the same for kokes but hearing from an experienced Bradley user would be helpful.

I already have a good brine recipe, just need info on the smoker.

HiTechKoke
05-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Let us know how it works out as I have been seriously thinking of moving into a Bradley smoker for more convenience overall if it will do the job for my precious Kokes!

dunnigan jim
05-08-2009, 12:07 AM
dim congrats on your bradley smoker . I got one when i was up in B/C 7 yrs ago. I liked the auto feeder ,smoked alot of salmon in it . I used trout untill i got use to it . I let a friend use it 3yrs ago and it was stolen from him. The only problem I had was it was difficult to find the biscuits a few yrs back. My buddy replaced it with a smoky mountain cooker (not the same). When I got mine the dealer in vancover b/c showed my how to start out with different meats , I even smoked a ham in mine turned out great. pm me your ph # and i can maybe give you some pointers he dealer told me. jim

Full_Monte
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm interested in this because I haven't bought a smoker yet. I've done a lot of research on it, though. I've looked at the Bradleys. Here's what I've learned about smokers so far:

a. Source of heat must match your needs. If you are smoking at the catch lake, you will likely want a propane or charcoal briquette model. For home models, propane, natural gas and electricity are the usual heat sources.

b. The cost of flavor chips is relatively high. It costs no more to produce smoke for a 5-rack smoker than a 2-rack smoker. Therefore, a tall smoker is more cost effective on chip usage, assuming you can put enough meat on all the racks to fill it.

c. Some "smokers" are really combination smokers and cookers. A smoker usually creates smoke at a cool temperature, usually 200 degrees or lower. (Edit: I just read a book on this, and "cold smoking" is done at 85 degrees F.) A cooker can cook while it smokes because it operates at higher temperatures.

d. A good smoker allows you to control the temperature at which you smoke your catch.

I haven't decided on a smoker yet. I'm still looking. Any suggestions are appreciated.

CurlysLures
05-08-2009, 05:56 PM
We recently bought a Traeger smoker grill. These are awesome. They are all electric and have an auger that feeds your wood pellets automatically for you. I like them because of the versatility they have. I have never tasted a better ribeye than one cooked in the Traeger. We also smoked Kokes last weekend in it amazing to say the least. I would recommend looking into one

Kokaholic
05-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a Louisiana Grill that is simular to a treager. pellets are fead from a hopper into a burn pot. You purchase the pellets in the wood type/flavor you want. I have done ribs, Tri tip, burgers, Pizza and even did cookies on mine. There is nothing like them. They have a fan system that makes it work on the same set up as a convectional oven. Mine also has a reo stat that allows me to adjust the heat just like you can on an oven in your home.