PDA

View Full Version : Kokes on the surface

SuperD
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Many of you have been catching Kokes a lot longer than I have but in my short past with Kokes, I've stereotyped them as fish that tend to be deep. My last time out, I had a fat 17" Koke pull the line out of my hand while I was trying to put the line in the clip. I immediately thought it was a pesky rainbow. When I looked behind me, I could see the missle coming out of the water behind the boat. I've always thought it was a kick to have the line pulled out of your hand but it seemed extra special being a fattie Koke.

portofthesea
05-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Years ago when I first started fishing Flaming Gorge my Dad and I would drag steel line for macks and put my young boy out the back with just a spinning rod. He did quite well, actually several trips he was the only one that kept us from going home with the skunk. He had to be near the surface because he was rigged with just a light lure.--Gary

HiTechKoke
05-06-2009, 12:22 AM
It's definitely been fun at Berryessa this year to have big Kokes (by California standards) near the surface and a number of them rocket out of the water even before the getting to the rod. Reminds me of Gorge action. We've had a number through the hooks and one did about a 10 foot tail walk too.

Digi-Troller
05-06-2009, 01:36 AM
The surface tail walks are the best! Man I need to do some koke fishing ASAP! We catch a lot very close to the surface in early season. We even catch quite a few later in the season, early in the morning. Definately worth dropping a flat line out the back because you never know whats going to happen!

Neptune
05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
In my neck of the woods 25ft and shallower is where you catch Kokes all the time!

I've set the rod down many times to reach out for the clip and turn back to the rod to see it just "thrumming" away...Fish On!!

ceejay77
05-12-2009, 01:27 AM
true I have had most luck in the shallower sections what time of day are you getting the most action.fish have feeding habits and feeding times just need to work that out.

Fallriverguy
05-12-2009, 02:33 PM
I fish shallow all the time in the spring. So far this season I have not fished below 15 feet. At times I'll run a dodger and hoochie behind the boat with no weight. All year I'll watch the boats running ball trolls inline with no weight and when they start catching fish mid day I'll fish shallower. I have noticed that at various times during the day Kokanee with move up the water column to feed. That is if the water temperature is not too high.