PDA

View Full Version : RMT dodgers

sickday
05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
What has been the best producer for dodgers the 4.25" or the 5.5". Will this be different now vs. the summer. I caught a limit last weekend on the 5.5" rainbow dodger with the pink uv squid. Trolled around 1.5 mph. Fish seemed to be shallow around 15' as it was raining heavy.

Aaron

SuperD
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
I talked to Jared on the phone about this very subject last week. He told me he uses the 4.25" until about early June and then switches to the 5.5".

halojm
05-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I guess I've been one of the lucky ones when it comes to the RMTdodger. I've been able to test most before they go on sale to the public the following year. I can tell you that if a dodger does not produce up to our standards then they do not get marketed. As for me personally, I like the bahama mamma and the hyper plaid on sunny days. The new watermelon UV that hit the shelves this year has been te go to so far from people that have tried it. I agree with the smaller one being used until the fish go a little deeper then switching over to the larger.
Rob
Director of Regional Sales
RockyMountain Tackle

Propnut69
05-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Because i have only gotten on the water once this year so far,i haven't had much luck with the watermelon dodgers yet.I'm sure that will change in the future. My most productive dodgers have been the hyper-plaid, in both sizes,and the the bigger blue Bahama. With the pink and rainbow RMT squids behind them. I think the new pink hyper plaid dodger will also be a top producer this year. As the day progresses i tend to fish with the serpent spoons more then i do dodgers and squids. I have found this to work also later in the season.

SuperD
05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
With Berryessa being on fire in our neck of the woods, I can say that it hasn't mattered if it was 4.25" or 5.5", the fish have been just attacking anything in the right color.

Trophy Taker
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I rarely use a single 4.25" blade as I primarily fish squids and prefer the 5.5" . If I do use a single 4.25" its with a spoon/lure and only as an attractor. I do however use double 4.25" in the spring with my squids and the last two years anything pink or orange has been the ticket.

Digi-Troller
05-06-2009, 01:50 AM
I also use the smaller dodgers early season, when fishing closer to the surface. As the season progresses and the kokes move deeper I switch to bigger dodgers. This has led to a lot of success for me. I started doing this when I read that the deeper you go the bigger your dodger needs to be... in order to combat the increase in pressure. Down deep it takes a bigger dodger to get the same vibrations as you'd get near the surface with a small dodger. When I read this, it really seemed to make sense. My results have confirmed this theory in my mind.

As far as colors go, my favorite RMT dodgers are: Hyper Plaid Pink, Nickel Crushed Glow, Bahama, Blue Fire Ice, 50/50 Pink Chart, and the UV Splatter Series. I've also heard great things about the Watermelon Dodgers, and the New Kamikaze Frog patterns. Can't wait to try them out!

SuperD
05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
For those that switch, what depth do you use as the switching point? 25', 30', 40'?

FishHunter
05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
For those that switch, what depth do you use as the switching point? 25', 30', 40'?

I usually switch when a majority of the kokes I catch are running deeper than 30'. I don't make it to the Gorge until mid-June each year and it doesn't take me long to switch to the larger dodger. On Blue Mesa, I will run the smaller dodger until late June most of the time.

Digi-Troller
05-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Usually around 30-35 feet is where I start to switch over. I try not to get caught up in hard and fast rules though. Let the bite let you know what to use.

Lundman
05-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I'll throw my narrow narrow Dodger point of view into the discussion.

I only fish two lakes for Kokanee (The Gorge & Strawberry). I go BIG and vary the length of my leader. The 8 1/2 inch dodger has been my goto size.

The dodger is an attractor and I think larger is better. Also a larger dodger gives your trailing lure more action.

I know once you find a successful combination that works and you target larger fish then you start to try various leader lengths for the type on lure your using.

For example I started out fishing the Apex and the leader is pre-tied and the leader length in my opinion is MADE for a 8 1/2 dodger. I found that the majority of the kokanee I caught were not the larger fish (20" plus) and so I don't fish the Apex any longer because I hated catching 10 smaller koke's that I had to released because if they are hooked deep, I had to keep them and with the limit only 3 fish I wanted to target the larger keeper fish.

I had to tell you what's been working for me and I do have GREAT success with larger dodgers with many 40 fish days and I'm the guy that usually doesn't start fishing until 8 or 9 a.m. I also have a catch ratio on most days of 40% to 50% larger fish.

Just my 2 cents....

TRUBBS
07-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Sorry If this is a complete newbie/dumb question but, I seen on another forum where a member was saying if using RMT dodgers that you first must bend a small "S" into them?
is there any truth to this? if so, anyone have a picture of how the new "S" bend looks?
I obviously know how to make a s bend, just want to get a idea on how much bend to actually do so i don't do to much.

mtncat1
07-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Sorry If this is a complete newbie/dumb question but, I seen on another forum where a member was saying if using RMT dodgers that you first must bend a small "S" into them?
is there any truth to this? if so, anyone have a picture of how the new "S" bend looks?
I obviously know how to make a s bend, just want to get a idea on how much bend to actually do so i don't do to much.

no it's not ness to put any bend in the rmt dodger some people do put an s bend or just bend the rear of the dodger a little. I fished them both way and do just as good either way. bend em if you want a little more action . but it's really not ness.