PDA

View Full Version : Wickiup 5/2 and 5/3

Fallriverguy
05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
The fishing Saturday at Wickiup was the best I have experienced. I stared fishing at first light and had my limit by 2:30. I picked up a few fish on a variety of lures, but the money lure was a pink/white Hoochie Thing behind a 5 inch RMT UV dodger. Below is a more detailed summary from Sunday.

I had to go back Sunday to see if the fish were still on the bite. I launched the boat at 5:30 in building snow showers and headed back to the Davis arm and stared fishing in 35 – 20 feet of water. The chartreuses hoochie and green Wild Thing dodger that worked the day before in the morning was the first to get water time. Getting a handful of strikes in 20 minutes confirmed it was a good choice. The hot bite lasted about 45 minutes. I had a heck of a time keeping these fish hooked. There were lots of LDR. These fish would hit and be jumping or tail walking across the water and be gone. This trend continued almost all day long. I am fairly sure I lost more fish than I landed.

The Hoochie Thing that worked so well the day before caught some fish, but not like the day before. I also picked up fish on radical glow tubes, a green wedding ring, and red, pink and orange hoochies. I used a variety of dodger that include the bigger sling blade type, crystal basin wild things and 0000 Seps watermelon dodger. The lures were either tipped with corn or maggots, or a combination of the two, but at day’s end I was back to just maggots.

Again I fished shallow and caught most fish in less than 30 feet of water and lots came in 16 feet of water. Since it was dark and gloomy I fish mostly at 5 feet with a 50 foot set-back. At one point it was snowing so hard I could not see the shore in any direction. At least the wind did not kick up while it was snowing.

I stopped fishing about 12:30 with 19 fish. The biggest was 16.25 inches and most were between 14 and 15 inches.

Here is the result of processing the catch from Saturday.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/fillets1.JPG

This is Sundays catch.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/board_meeting_090503.JPG

Bduck
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Great report FRG. I like your filets. Looks like its been a busy weekend for alot of fishing reports. thumbsup

jzell
05-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Always a good report from Brian.

I think the one on the lower right got hit the hardest. :rolleyes:

jz

SilverBullets
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Great report Brian... Heck of a batch of kokes for being this early in the season. That's hard core kokanee fishing in a snowstorm! thumbsup

HiTechKoke
05-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Great looking fish and they look fat! Guessing you were by yourself I guess it would be hard to get pictures of you reeling them in during the snowstorm. :-)

Kevin

ImHooked
05-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Nice job FRG!!! That's a dandy bunch of kokes.thumbsup

IH

Fallriverguy
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Great looking fish and they look fat! Guessing you were by yourself I guess it would be hard to get pictures of you reeling them in during the snowstorm. :-)

Kevin

I was fishing solo. Not only would it have been hard to get a picture in the snow, I am not sure I had enough dexterity or feeling in my hands to snap a picture.

Mickey Thomas
05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Great looking and healthy fat Kok's, maybe a road trip is in order

Bduck
05-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I was fishing solo. Not only would it have been hard to get a picture in the snow, I am not sure I had enough dexterity or feeling in my hands to snap a picture. I know what you saying about feelings in the hands. You can pick up a minature tripod for your camera. I'm always going solo. The tripod alows me to set up on timer and gives me a couple of seconds to get the pose. Sometimes the bigger fish give me a fit where I get a good shot of my backside up in the air. Give it a try. When you start viewing some of the pic's, you'll be saying WTF. laugh hyst Its fun.

twisted lines
05-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the tips FRG I will try to Cull the little ones for you laugh hyst Told mama all I needed was water and beans, Im having Koks for lunch and dinner for four days... Hope the resturants stay open late if things don't work out. And I hope she is happy with fish on Sunday tooexcited

river hunter
05-07-2009, 07:39 PM
ill be hitting wick. on saturday... it will be the first time for me fishing the main lake. any ideas to where to go? which arm would be best? or would i fish near the dam?

Fallriverguy
05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
The Davis arm where it opens up into the main lake on the South side of the channel in 35ish feet of water is where I started. I then moved East staying out of the main channel. With the weather being more sunny the fish might move deeper later in the day this weekend.

river hunter
05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
thanks for the info FDR, i just found out that ill have a open seat avaliable if anyone wants to join me? send me a pm with a number to call

river hunter
05-08-2009, 05:43 PM
thanks for the info FDR, i just found out that ill have a open seat avaliable if anyone wants to join me? send me a pm with a number to call

nevermind my buddy descided to come along after all

twisted lines
05-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Well FRG with a little help from my friends My first trip to Wickiup was good except for climbing out of the bag At 25 degrees, Its going to take a little more practice to only catch the little ones I did catch two so I ate them for lunch and dinner, now I have 9 like this and bigger; to put in a new brine! thumbsup

Fallriverguy
05-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Good job TL! That is a nice fat healthy Kokanee. Let me know if you like the brine. Did you loose many?

river hunter
05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
got there at 730am. done alright, didnt really know what to use but managed to hook a few, lot of fish near the surface. this weekend might head back up there now that i know how to fish for the little sob's, might take the flyrod with the intermediate fly line and troll wooly buggers with a calibaetis nymph dropper in the back.. noticed some jumpers over there.

twisted lines
05-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I think I lost three on Friday and I lost three on the first jump & one on the third jump at the net, Saturday brine amazed me how much liquid it pulled out, wish I would have added pepper I like it hot! but didn't want to change it at all. cant wait for the dip now...

meyersdan
05-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Congratulations Brian on those Wickiup kokanee! Thanks for the report, and it gives me some ideas to try and Green Peter when that starts improving in a month or so.

Fallriverguy
05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey Dan,

Good to see you on board. GP hopefully will have good sized fish like last year.