PDA

View Full Version : first trip to merwin

sweetpea
05-03-2009, 03:23 PM
well got a new tr1 autopilot installed on my boat had to try it out. so on friday may 1st went to test it out. thinkin it was the best investment for the boat so far besides the fishing gear. very rough day on the water. wind was the worst i have seen in a while. but a buddy and me both got our limits in about 4 hrs. lost a bunch of fish to. any ideas on how to keep the kokanee on the hooks. think i might try changing single hooks to treble hooks.

*Rip'n Lip*
05-04-2009, 11:56 AM
were you using downriggers? how deep? what type of Lure (wedding ring), Color? Corn? Ford Fenders, School of Minow's, Brass or silver :) Give us the skinny.......

Thanks!

jzell
05-04-2009, 04:10 PM
This time of year they are within the 10 to 20 ft area, maybe as deep as 30. They should be in the usual places around the lake and just about anything will work. Pinks, oranges, reds, greens. I leave the DRs at home and just long line or use very minimal inline weight. I'd move around a lot until I find a producing spot and I'd be changing colors until I found what was best for that day.

How's that for a somewhat vague answer.tongue2

sweetpea
05-04-2009, 07:21 PM
yes they are close to the top. i use ford fenders and it seems lures are just a personal choice. look for where the eagles and osprey are taking fish. thats where they are.

sweetpea
05-07-2009, 07:18 PM
ok second trip to merwin on wendsday. got on the water about 2:00. had a few fish on early then it slowed. changed spots and depth. running anywhere between 15 to 40 pulls from the reel to first guide. trolling a ford fender with 2 oz weight and mostly spinners and wedding rings. fished 5 hrs ended up with 9 fish between a buddy and me. will be back on the water friday morning with two other friends.

Birds Nest
05-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the great report Sweetpea how is that TR1 working out for you? I really want one for my boat!

sweetpea
05-07-2009, 10:36 PM
the tr1 is one of the best investments i have purchased. you know it gets windy up at merwin...... this thing really makes it easier to steer and when you have fish on and netting and such you dont always have to tend to the boat. and the remote steering and idle control is really nice. anyone who trolls a lot should get one if they can. looking into linking it to a gps soon.