PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a second fish finder

Kokonuts
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I need some help mounting a second FF at the rear of my boat. I installed a seat so I can run the trolling motor but cant find a good location for the FF. I have the DRs & pole holders mounted on each side.

Any suggestions, pictures would be great!

Thanks Kokonuts

Trophy Taker
05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Could you post some pics so we could get a better idea of what your working with? Is there enough room to use a Ram mount on the side of the gunwale or transom?

Kokonuts
05-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry about not having pictures. My problem is that I have room on the gunwale but the mount wont tilt up unough so that I can see it.

The unit I am using is the Eagle 320. I dont know if I can get a different mount for it. I should have checked that first!
KOKONUTS

Trophy Taker
05-03-2009, 08:30 PM
If you get a Ram mount with a second ball, you can use your existing finder mount and connect it to the Ram mount. Then mount the second ball at the gunwale. Then you just release the tension on the tension screw and disconnect your wires and reconnect at the rear. This will give you alot more options than just your standard mount.

Click on this link and take a look at this:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0013692010090a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=Ram+mounts&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

SuperD
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
T_T nailed it and took the words right out of my mouth. Are you getting the same unit so that it is compatible with your other transducer? Or are you going to try to run two? Personally, I would be nervous about the chances of interference with 2 and try to use a splice harness on your existing transducer.

IdahoMan
05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I went through this same issue 2 years ago. I wanted a second FF at the rear of my boat. I installed a Lowrance and all to excited to go try it out. I was quite disappointed with the results. I could not run both FFs at the same time. The cockpit FF was a Humminbird and both interfered with each other. Each worked great when the other was off. What I was trying to achieve was basically having a second monitor of my FF at the rear of the boat. I then installed a RAM ball mount and all the necessary connections to transfer the FF between both locations. This was ok but still was a pain because I needed it in the cockpit for depth, going to location, and locating fish. What I ended up doing was moving my mount in the cockpit to the center where I can see it from the back of the boat. I also upgraded this year to a Humminbird 1197c si.

I also have the advantage of having a TR-1 Gold system so I don't have to be at the kicker motor controls when fishing. I understand you wanting the FF at the controls and thought I would pass along my findings to help you make a decision. As for mounting the RAM system works great.

Kokonuts
05-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I have a H.B. up front and just bought an Eagle 320 for the rear. I never thought about interferance between the two. I was planning on using the Eagle transducer seperate from the HB.

Thanks for the help!.............Kokonuts