FishHunter
05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I fillet mine also.

Bduck
05-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Filet, also.

bobco
05-02-2009, 06:54 PM
if going on the grill fillet and leave skin on, cook on grill skin side down until done , don't over cook. if canning i cut the head and tail off, remove fins and skin.

SilverBullets
05-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I leave the guts intact and fillet the meat off. After the brine process I put them in the smoker skin side down.

redmanjr1
05-03-2009, 03:18 AM
If they are smaller I'll leave them whole to grill or smoke and if larger I'll fellet.

Bob

SuperD
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Read the thread a little farther down on this forum about "Bleeding Kokanee". It is a very important part of the cleaning process, regardless of whether you gut or fillet.

skookum9
02-14-2010, 11:51 PM
I am new to this site and just discovered these recipe pages and had to comment. I've seen some pretty good advice given on here and since this is one subject I am very finicky about, I have a slight twist of my own about it.

First, on the subject of bleeding, I've never done this with kokes but it seems like a great idea, for two reasons. The first is that with silver salmon I have noticed that the meat stays fresher longer. If you eat it right away I'm not sure you'll notice any difference, but leave it in the fridge a few days and it will noticeably stay fresher longer if you bled it when you first caught it. On this basis, I can only assume the same is true with koke's. But when you're pulling them in fast, it's hard to want to stop and do this. I now use a homemade strainer basket that I custom made to fit inside of a 5 gallon bucket that may help me to solve this problem. I'm going to try it for sure. The other reason it's a good idea is because of cleaning. When you fillet a fish, if you bleed it first it will get rid of a lot of the slime that makes them so slippery and hard to hold still while cleaning.

My next step is dependant on how I intend to cook them. If I'm going to grill or smoke them, I like to scale them first because I will leave the skins on so I can put them skin side down on the grills. If I'm going to season them, roll them in corn meal and fry them, then I will fillet them first and skin them afterward, completely avoiding the scaling process. Skinning is much less messy and usually faster and easier to do. With the exception of access to a garden hose with some pressure so you can just blast the scales off.

I read where someone suggested gutting first and then fillet. Unless the law prohibits the filleting, and some places it does because of length/species rules, I find that gutting them first is both a waste of time and also makes the filleting harder. I definately fillet with the guts still inside because this is easier to do and eliminates an extra step. Not everyone fillets the same and some people have a much better technique than others. Typically, I can fillet a fish in less time than most people can gut them anyway. It takes me about 1 minute per fish when I am in practice, a little slower when I'm off my game. Granted this does mean almost a half hour for a limit of koke's, and about that much more for the skinning or scaling process, but still faster and better than gutting them.

If I chose not to scale them, my next step is to skin them. It seemed hard when I first learned to do so but I learned the right way and now it's pretty easy. I hold down on the skin with my thumbnail on one end of a fillet, usually the tail end, and slide the knife in between the meat and the skin just in front of my thumbnail. Then with a slight sawing motion and pressure to keep the knife flat against the fillet board, I slip the knife all the way through to the other end of the fillet. It takes a little practice to get it right but it is a lot easier and cleaner than scaling.

I know this post was started a long time ago but I just couldn't resist putting in my two cents worth. Is there a better way? Probably, but this is the best way for me that I have found. I'm not a big fan of a fishy flavor, and I cook for others that are even more so that way. Prepared this way, I've yet to meet the person who didn't like them, even though they think they don't like fish.

KOK head
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Here is one of many ways to clean a kokanee I have found this a awsome way to clean smaller koks and get a good amount of meat out of them !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLeHEwJK9uc

MackPrince
07-06-2010, 01:45 AM
That's a good video.

I prefer mine to be dead or at least freshly colecocked before doing any slicing.2cents

I normally start at the rear vent, zip up to between the front fins. Slice down from behind the head and gill plate through the backbone. Slice the sides, grab the head, and pull. All that's left is to thumb out the inside along the spine and remove any lining.

trollmonkey
07-06-2010, 11:11 PM
101shock1101101shock1101
Here is one of many ways to clean a kokanee I have found this a awsome way to clean smaller koks and get a good amount of meat out of them !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLeHEwJK9uc

Dude, cleaning live fish ain't right.We apply the "FISH MAULER" ,my billy club,to the fishes head, then ice them. I filet and grill kokes ,got to try smoking them.101shock1101

ZONKER
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I enjoyed watching the youtube. The number one thing you have to have is a sharp knife. This is when a steel comes in handy to keep the edge on the blade. You can buy pretty cheap steels but when you get one the smoother the steel the better, if you have a steel and it is ruff you can put a inch of vinegar in the bottom of a long necked pop bottle and let it set down in the bottle above the vinegar over night. You then take steal wool and rub up and down the steel to smooth it. You can keep doing that until your steel is as smooth as it will get. A good steel will make a good knife work wonders.
ZONKER

Excaliber
08-02-2010, 05:50 PM
We fillet our Kokes,even the small ones. I like to stick them in the freezer to get them more solid and they fillet so much easier and the slime isn't that bad either.

DLM
08-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Not to highjack, but, I got my Townsend fish skinner delivered last week, tried it this weekend and WOW does that thing work great. It does not look like it should, but it sure does.

lowe1648mt
08-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Not to highjack, but, I got my Townsend fish skinner delivered last week, tried it this weekend and WOW does that thing work great. It does not look like it should, but it sure does.

I have been using the townsend skinner for thirty years. I like it and it works great.
When my old one grew legs at Yale res. in June, I promply bought another one on E-BAY. Glad to hear someone else gave it a try.

MackPrince
08-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Lowe-
Bummer I saw you skinner and put it on the post by the picnic area when I left the BBQ. I wasn't sure if it was one of our groups or a day use persons with where I found it lying off to the side of the path.101duh101

lowe1648mt
08-06-2010, 01:22 AM
No problem, I replacedit the first chance I got when I got home. I did go back too Yale Park the nexst day, but the hosts had not seen it and I did not find it at the picnic site. I just hope some one appreciates the find.

ZONKER
08-09-2010, 12:57 AM
I am very interested in the townsend skinner. What can you tell me and where can I go to learn about it? On the internet it just comes up as a pork skinning machine.
Looking forward to your imput
Thanks

lowe1648mt
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
If You are interested in the Townsend skinner, I have used them for about thirty years. they work slick. No mess ,no fuss. If you go to E-Bay type in Townsend Skinner. The site will list Skinners for sale by bid or buy now. I you want , You can buy new or used. The new ones come with directions.
All You do is remove the finns , guts and head .Then You place the skinner at the head end of the fish and crank the handle . THe skin is peeled off and the meat is left behind. No need to scale . And then if You want, You can filet. You could probibly filet first then skin, but I have never tried it that way.

DLM
08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I fillet first then skin and it worked just find.

hobie01
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys, you have made up my mind on the townsend skinner. I have been looking at them on ebay but didn't know for sure if they would work on trout and kokanee, or just on pan fish and bass with the thicker skin. You have put my doubts at rest!!

Dennis

Old School
01-24-2012, 12:10 AM
I BBQ 95% of my kokes and like cooking them whole. My typical routine when I catch one is to bleed 10 or so minutes on a stinger, then gut, bag, and ice. When I get home I rinse and finish cleaning and prepping to go right on BBQ, then blot them with p. Towel and vacuum seal/ freeze. The quality keeps for a long time and when defrosted after 6+ months they look fresh caught.

I am totally open to trying filleting and smoking and canning etc, but just haven't gotten to it.

I do like taking leftovers and boning/ mixing with Italian bread crumbs/ Panko and egg and pan frying salmon pattys.

kelson
06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
For me there is only one way regardless of how you will prepare them for consumption.....and this goes for all my salmonids.
Bonk, bleed, gut, gill and on ice in no more than 5 minutes. We owe it to the fish to ensure they are cared for properly. It never ceases to shock me when I see fish in the round laying in the bottom of a boat for the duration of the trip or in a bucket of water.
K