PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry silvers!

Lunkerhunter2
07-24-2008, 10:59 PM
After much talk and getting the "fever" last weekend at the pig, Kelly, his dad, and me went to the berry after some silver bullets. We anticipated not catching anything but cuttcarp or slimebows but we were WAAAAAAAY wrong! We launched from Strawberry marina and headed to haws point. We started trolling RMT dodgers and squids in the Bermuda Triangle. Not sure if we were in the right place or not, but we caught some nice kokes sporadically and some slott cutts and planter bows. It slowed way down around noon so we headed to the narrows. We got into them again for a few right at the mouth and then it shut off completely. I had never gone all the way to SC so we decided to go for a drive. Good choice!
We started trolling over 100' of water down 40' with the RMT magic and after a few small bows we FINALLY got into them heavy!!! We caught some toads and lost a ton. I lost 2 fish at the boat that would have been close to 4# and we ended up with our limits in a short 2 hours. Spped were from 1.5 to 2.1. A rollercoaster ride because my motor kept loading up about every hour and the wind gusts would come and go. Overall it was a very nice day and great company. I want to thank Kelly for getting me hooked on these fish. There is no hope for me now and i have a new found respect for the berry. I will be going back real soon. I will add the pics tomorrow. My arms are shot from fighting all those kokes today.tongue2

Petty4life
07-25-2008, 09:52 AM
good for you guys very rare to hear good koke reports from the berry,

JIGGIT
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
great job guys. i had no worries that you would find some. im a beginner and i did. but you put a hurtin on them bad boys sounds like. sound to me like you were trolling the blender of haws. those waives get nuts at 1 pm around there. as you enterd the narrows from haws do you remmember that big cliff on the north side that ran for about a mile? when i gets windy on the lake go try that cliff. we named it cutt row. they stack up very thick all the way down it when it blows. o and go check out the narrows durring elk rut right at dark back there. lol no one hunts mutch back there and elk rut bigtime on the west slopes. ken

Kokehead
07-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Ya I've caught kokes all over the place but I have not done to well on the berry, (due to I mainly fish it through the ice) I admit i was sceptical about finding kokes, man was I surprised. Like brody said, when we found them, it was all we could do to keep the riggers in the water. And I'll bet he still is crying about the two monsters he lost at the boat, I know I am;)

TrophyBoat
07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
right on guys i am very jealous, any specifics on lures that you would be willing to share.GOOD REPORT

Kokehead
07-25-2008, 08:54 PM
pink/siver 50/50 dodger and pink uv, rainbow squids. 36 feet down, best speed 1.6 carp spit by pro cure produced the best.

macscabin
07-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I did well on tues. but not quite that well. I will have to try that carp spit.

TrophyBoat
07-26-2008, 12:03 AM
your the man, i have been up there twice year in search of those tempormental strawberry kokes and all they have showed me is some arial stunts then let go.

Grandpa D
07-26-2008, 03:39 PM
It was a great trip with Kelly and Brody.
This is the first year that I have fished intently for Kokanee and with Kelly's help, it has been very rewarding.
We have found our limits and then some on several trips on Flaming Gorge and this great trip to Strawberry.
I was with my other son, Korey when Kelly and Brody smoked Porcupine.
We were there on float tubes and didn't do as well.

Downrigging RMT tackle is the only way to go fo Kokanee for me now!

Thanks again for a great day at Strawberry Kelly and Bordy,
Grandpa D.

Lunkerhunter2
07-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Anytime Dale. You 2 are fun to fish with. Do you think my boat is worthy of the Gorge??

Grandpa D
07-27-2008, 01:32 PM
You have seen my boat.
It made several runs on FG.
Your boat will be great up there.
All you are missing is air conditioning! thumbsup

Petty4life
07-27-2008, 05:23 PM
You have seen my boat.
It made several runs on FG.
Your boat will be great up there.
All you are missing is air conditioning! thumbsup