PDA

View Full Version : Long shaft or short shaft Kicker?

Kokaholic
05-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I am in the market for a kicker for my boat. I have a 16' Deep V Tracker. I am not in a position to buy brand new. I will be looking for a decent used one. I am wondering if I should get a short shaft or a long shaft motor. Looking for some input here from some experienced folks with kickers. Thanks.

Mark

Full_Monte
05-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Uh...I hope I'm not stating the obvious...the length of your shaft should be long enough to put your prop below the bottom of the stern of your boat. If it doesn't reach that far down, you will be in for a rather slow trolling speed.:):)

AFDan52
05-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Hey Mark, I would try to figure out where your waterline is on your Transom. Then you can see how much room your going to have for your Remote-Troll. Like Monte said you want the prop to be below the Transom and remember thatthe water pick-up on the kicker motor is usually under the cavitation plate somewhere.
Just some things to think about. On your boat I would use a long shaft.

SilverBullets
05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
You need to measure the distance from the top of the transom to the bottom of the boat. The motor's cavitation plate should be even with the bottom of boat. The shaft is measured from the top of the transom where the mounting bracket for the outboard rests to the bottom of the cavitation plate. I think the short shaft is 15" and the long shaft is 20", so whatever one is closest to your transom height should do it. You just want to make sure the cavitation plate is as close to the bottom of the boat as possible so the prop is down in the water at all times.

Bduck
05-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Its important to see where your water intake is compared to where your water line is. With a deep V sounds like you need a long shaft. Also, some or most short shafts can be converted into long shafts without spending a whole lot of money.

Kokaholic
05-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Well........... thats why I have thrown this up here for input. Last thing I want to do is by a nice kicker and find out its not going to work. good points. I have yet to mount my remote troll for this reason. Dont want to mount it and then find myself in a pickle and kicken myself in the Butt!

Trophy Taker
05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Mark, when you measure the water line do it at the dock with nobody in the boat and at the lowest fuel point you would ever run. My cousin made the mistake of measuring his with the boat loaded (yes, he is intellectually challengedtooexcited). The first trip out by himself he found out the short shaft was a bit to short.

Kokaholic
05-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Thats a good point Thomas, Thanks.

TrophyBoat
05-02-2009, 11:15 PM
i have a 2004 mercury 9.9 long shaft used for sale, let me know if you are possibly interested and i can get you more information.

Petty4life
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
think about this Mark. If you mount your remote troll for a long shaft thats all you can ever put on it. but if you mount it for a short shaft you can alo put a long shaft on it your shaft would just be deeper in the water. but then what do i know

Kokaholic
05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree totally jason. I think the key to the whole thing is the mounting position. I think the key is precise mounting with knowing the water line like Tom mentioned. to make sure that no matter what motor, long or short shaft, I will be able to put either one on.

halojm
05-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Just get er done, so we can go fishin. Or you can hop on with me and maybe we can invite Jason also. Ever notice how Mothers Day always falls on the weekend you want to go fishing.

twisted lines
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I am in the market for a kicker for my boat. I have a 16' Deep V Tracker. I am not in a position to buy brand new. I will be looking for a decent used one. I am wondering if I should get a short shaft or a long shaft motor. Looking for some input here from some experienced folks with kickers. Thanks.

Mark

I have been looking at the deep Vs after seeing polar bears, and the new ones spec ELs in all the motors Extra longs just to add to your confusion.

Just get er done, so we can go fishin. Or you can hop on with me and maybe we can invite Jason also. Ever notice how Mothers Day always falls on the weekend you want to go fishing.

Hope she likes Kokanee cause it looks like that may be the only thing I have time to get her........

SuperD
05-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Since the kids are grown, we're packing the camper and headed out for the Mother's Day weekend. It took me a little while to convince her but she got on board. thumbsup

Llewellindave
06-29-2014, 04:19 PM
i have a 2004 mercury 9.9 long shaft used for sale, let me know if you are possibly interested and i can get you more information.

How used is it and fresh water or salt? Separate gas tank and how long is shaft?

SuperD
06-29-2014, 05:17 PM
How used is it and fresh water or salt? Separate gas tank and how long is shaft?

Well, you went to all the trouble to join our forum to respond so I hope you stay and participate but this thread is 5 years old.