PDA

View Full Version : Trolling system

Petty4life
05-01-2009, 07:09 PM
What kind of trolling system do you use? Rod from main motor steering from the helm, Remote troll, troll daddy or anyother system.

I picked up a used remote troll and went to the factory and picked up a new cable and switch.

Ironhead
05-01-2009, 07:13 PM
TR-1 Autopilot

SuperD
05-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Steering from the helm

Digi-Troller
05-02-2009, 12:36 AM
We use a Panther remote troll. Its the cheapest we could find, and has not dissapointed us at all. Its great to be able to hand the remote off to someone else when a fish hits your pole. Its also great to be able to drive from under the canopy when it gets real hot. I'll get an auto pilot with my new boat, but thats probably 10 years away! lol For now, the Panther remote is getting the job done.

Kokaholic
05-02-2009, 12:52 AM
I also picked up a used remote troll. Repainting and such, Now I need to just find me a good used kicker. 4-6 horse is what I want. Anyone got one that they want to get rid of or know is a good deal that has been taken care of?

AFDan52
05-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I also picked up a used Remote-Troll unit and it will be mounted with a Yamaha 9.9 Kicker with Electric Start with Remote Control.thumbsup

Kokonuts
05-02-2009, 09:48 AM
This year I added a small folding seat in front of the Main Motor so I can control the trolling motor. Works great!
Now I am going to add a second F.F. so I see it better while sittng there.
I still have the connector rod so that I can steer from the helm., but I think I like this way better. thumbsup Kokonuts

Full_Monte
05-02-2009, 11:13 AM
What trolling system? My trolling motor is my main motor and my "system" is my left arm!:cool:

ImHooked
05-02-2009, 11:24 AM
I use a TR1 autopilot on my Yamaha T8. It will run zigzags, figure 8's, loops, etc and also can be networked with your GPS to follow a preset course. It is a great system.thumbsup

IH

Bduck
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Troll-Daddy. I have a Troll Master Pro II throttle control on my Merc 9.9 kicker that allows you to set your trolling speed. My main is a Merc Cruiser IO with a troll-a-matic troll plate. If one breaks down, I'm not dead in the water. Bduck will keep on paddlin'. :rolleyes:

FishHunter
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I picked up a used Remote Troll a couple of years ago off KSL. I don't use it to steer much anymore, just use the steering wheel and the main motor acts as a rudder.

SmokeOnTheWater
05-03-2009, 12:58 AM
We use the connector rod and it works very well when taking new friends fishing. I don't know what it is but everyone wants a chance to drive the boat which I really don't mind as it gives me a chance to do other things like catch a fish or two. There has been a time or two when we get a snag and a simple quick disconnect of the tie rod allows me to have complete control of the situation and be in easy reach of what is snagged. Once free, simply reconnect the tie rod and let the others go back to fighting who's going to drive next. It's actually quite relaxing. When it comes time to move or hang it up for the day, that's when I get behind the wheel.

halojm
05-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I've used a remote troll for years. Best part about them is you can still control the boat with one hand, handle the fish with the other if needed. They are the only way to go if you fish by yourself. Not that my boat is ever empty, but once in a while it's just me and the wife and last thing she wants to do is fish. So as she sleeps I try to manage two poles and drive. Gets to be fun at times especially when both rods release. Rodeo time.

3RivrFishr
05-30-2009, 12:44 AM
I really want a TR-1 but its not in the budget. 4 years ago I bought a reconed Panther for less than 200 bucks but never installed it. Not much good for side drifting and useless for backtrolling when the river is puking out at 50,000 CFS during springer season. I just installed it tonight and will enjoy it next week while chasing kokanee during my unpaid weeklong furlough.