PDA

View Full Version : Are you buying more on the internet lately?

Dropshot
04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Are you shopping more on line than you used too? I am and here is an example of why.

I have been in the market for an inflatable life jacket and did a lot of price comparisons.

The model I wanted was $251.00 at a Portland retailer. (could not find it in Salem).

I searched the internet and found it for $208.41 with free shipping.

Before ordering on-line I asked the store if they would match the price. They said they do not match internet prices. I asked if they could come down on their price at all and they said no.

I understand that stores have overhead that some internite sites do not, however, in todays economy I cannot pay 20% ($43.00) more for an item just to support a local business. I would pay $10 or maybe $15 more, but not $43.

I would think that with so many sporting goods stores going out of business (Joes, Sportsmans Warehouse, Boater World, and some Marine West's) that the remaining stores would be a little more price conscious.

I used to shop on-line for those things that I could not find locally. Now I go on-line for most everything.

SuperD
04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
And playing devils advocate, that just makes more of our local stores go out of business. I try to keep an even balance and am willing to pay a little more some times to support the local guy and get my stuff quicker.

Bduck
04-29-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm always looking for the better price that I can find. Like SuperD says, its quicker to get it locally even if you pay a little more. I have been seeing alot of mark up just before items go on sale. Its sad when an item gets marked up, 10 percent off sale, and costs more than the regular non-sale price. Its turning into robbery. Those who do this, deserve to be run out of business. I won't do business with these guys. I would rather pay $8.00 in shipping and waite a week to get it. Most of time you can get free shipping. Its no wander our economy is in trouble. Nobody is buying.

DLM
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
And playing devils advocate, that just makes more of our local stores go out of business. I try to keep an even balance and am willing to pay a little more some times to support the local guy and get my stuff quicker.

I think that is what dropshot was saying also, he would not mind paying more but $43 was a little much.

I am finding myself shopping online more also, but I always check locally first. Being from and growing up in a small town I understand the importance of buying locally. The moms and pops of every kind in our town are gone, beat out by competition from big chain stores. Now the big chain stores are in competition from the internet.

There is nothing keeping the local business's from offering their product on-line and some do.

dunnigan jim
04-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I had a small independent retail store(26yrs) and matched the bigger stores pricing on most items. When someone told me they could buy cheaper on the net ,I told them to go for it. When they had a problem they wanted me to help contact the manufacture on a claim. The dealer on the net told them they only sells the material and it was up to the customer to contact manufacture. I contacted my rep and he took care of the problem. That guy became one of my BEST customers after that. Todays market is that non of the stores will warranty the items you buy ,unless it is broken when you take it out of box. I have shopped alot on the net for things I'm not in a hurry to get and great deals. I usally buy from a place i know has a store so that if i do have a problem they are more likely to help out with the problem. my 2cents

jekern1015
04-30-2009, 02:54 AM
I shop online for mostly the more expensive stuff like reels and rods and other things for the boat. I buy the small dollar items locally. Everyone wants a piece of my paycheck so I try to get the biggest bang for my buck. I have also bought used equipment off of e-bay.