PDA

View Full Version : Max hook distance behind lure?

SuperD
04-28-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm trying to tie some double hook leaders to some lures. Because of my stubby fingers, the hooks are ending up about 1 1/2" behind the end of the actual lure. It might be similiar to what I've heard some guys do with Apexes but ultimately, what is the max distance you think I can get away with as far as hooks behind a lure?

FishHunter
04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I would think that 1 1/2" would be about as far as you could get away with. I have some Apexes with hooks that go back about that distance and they catch fish. I think you run the risk of foul hooking fish if it gets much further away than that.

SilverBullets
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
What kind of lure? I've done this with Apex's with good results. Since the hooks with corn have no action of their own, the distance you can get away with would probably depend on the lures action to transmit some movement to the corn. With the Apex lure I've tried 3" all the way up to 12" set backs. In the book "Kokanee" Wee Tads are mentioned as a great lure to try this on. So far, 3- 6" setbacks have worked the best...haven't foul hooked yet.

redmanjr1
04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
I have the same problem only mine are not back quite that far but further than what I want. I use a small tool called Rudy's Snell Tyer that works pretty good but can't quite get the hooks as close together as I would like. I haven't used the tool all that much so I might just need to practice and get my technique down.

Bob

Dropshot
04-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm trying to tie some double hook leaders to some lures. Because of my stubby fingers, the hooks are ending up about 1 1/2" behind the end of the actual lure. It might be similiar to what I've heard some guys do with Apexes but ultimately, what is the max distance you think I can get away with as far as hooks behind a lure?

What type of lure are you talking about?

On an Apex, I use a rubber bobber stopper between the hook and the lure so I can adjust on the fly depending on the desires of the fish that day.

SuperD
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm trying to add double hooks to some 2" Lymans, basically a Wee Tad.

This is a Lyman rigged out of the package. I'm trying to replace the treble with a short piece of mono and double hooks.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7731/pearl1450zn5.jpg

SilverBullets
04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
What type of lure are you talking about?

On an Apex, I use a rubber bobber stopper between the hook and the lure so I can adjust on the fly depending on the desires of the fish that day.

I've never used a bobber stopper...does it stay in place without too much sliding? I've seen the type that you tighten up some string around your line...do the ones with rubber work out better?
SuperD...One thing you might consider is this...Go to www.captaindownriggins.com and at the top click on "videos". Then go down and click on "salmon plugs". With this way of rigging the lure slides on the line like a Apex or Wee Tad....something to consider.

Dropshot
04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
What about a stinger hook. You can get them in single hooks or treble. Basspro has them in 2 and 3 inch size that would clip on to the existing eye.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/image/article/july06/stinger%20hook.jpg