PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Kokes hooked up

sickday
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
I managed to make it out fishing last Saturday on the gorge. Tried for a few macks, and couldn't find any takers, so I put on the koke tackle. I did manage to catch 3, but it took me the rest of the day. I would hook up, but the kokes would make one run or some head shakes and I would loose them. I don't like snubbers, so does anyone have any suggestions to keep the kokes hooked up.
Aaron

redmanjr1
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Sharp hooks can make all the difference in the world. Also, are you trying to set the hook? If so, don't. Kokes have very soft mouths and you can jerk the hook from their mouth. Try not to force them to the boat. Let them run if they want just don't let any slack in the line. Heavy tackle, stiff rods can also hinder. The heaver the tackle the harder it is to finesse them. Light or ultra light is the way to go. And the last thing I can think of are the use of double hook rigs. This helps when the fish shakes his head the second hook will penetrate the outside of his face/cheek. Hope that helps.

Bob

Kokanee Wizard
04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
My success rate went way up with the use of a light medium action rod. The rod bends over the last third of the rod vs just the tip for a fast action rod. With a medium action more of the rod comes into play and the rod acts like a shock absorber or snubber. I also like to stop reeling when I feel a head shake and only reel when they're not shaking. Hope that helps...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/rodaction.jpg

SilverBullets
04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
If you do a search for a thread titled "improving loss ratio" there's alot of great information there. thumbsup (Anyone know how to post a link to a past thread?)

Petty4life
04-26-2009, 10:57 AM
If you do a search for a thread titled "improving loss ratio" there's alot of great information there. thumbsup (Anyone know how to post a link to a past thread?)

Click here
Improving loss ratio (http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?t=1347)

devil boat
05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
All the advice about light tackle, 7' rods, tight lines, etc. is great, but the most important thing I have found is to "bow" to the fish.

When you see your line lengthen out (indicating that your fish is coming up to jump), get ready to lean toward the fish quickly, extend your arms and point your rod tip right at it......"bow" to the jumping fish. That little bit of extra slack in your line will decrease the resistance against the koke's soft mouth and prevent the hook from ripping out.

Hope this helps...and don't forget to get them in the net......