PDA

View Full Version : siwash or treble

Polar Bear
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
hooks on your spoons ?????single siwash or treble ????which hook up better???

Kokonuts
04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Ive been using the 2 hook set up on wedding rings & hoochies. (Siwash)

For Jigs its Treble Hooks only. I like the way u usually get 2 hooks in with them. But I am thinking of making up some Wedding Rings & Hoochies with trebble hooks to try out.

thumbsup..Kokonuts

SilverBullets
04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
hooks on your spoons ?????single siwash or treble ????which hook up better???

Most kokanee spoons are light, so I generally try to stick with what came on them. Changing out to a different type, size or adding bait can sometimes mess up the action of the lighter spoons. If your loosing fish with the single hook, try bending the hook a bit. As far as spoons that come from the factory with a choice of either useing a single or treble, I'd try out the single hook first.

SmokeOnTheWater
04-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree with Silver Bullets by staying with factory set-up; however, the single hook allows for easier release and substantially less damage to the fish. Yes, I release many of them. As I said in a previous post, I like the fight and being restricted to a limit of three fish, I want each of them to be a meal for two. I like BIG FISH!

halojm
04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Siwash definately. I usually go one beter and place a ball bearing swival between split ring and hook. It helps when they decide to do their death roll at the side of the boat.

Bduck
04-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Depending the size of lure, I usually take the treble off and go with a siwash. Easier on the fish when C & R. The octopus hook works well too. So much nicer than getting stuck with a treble when you got a fiesty fish.

SilverBullets
04-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Depending the size of lure, I usually take the treble off and go with a siwash. Easier on the fish when C & R. The octopus hook works well too. So much nicer than getting stuck with a treble when you got a fiesty fish.

Ive been stuck with a treble from a feisty fish, and it wasn't fun. Glad I had a pair of wire cutters and my finger was allready numb from being cold out.
On a few larger spoons I've changed out the trebles to a single hook mainly because I kept getting hits with no take downs useing the trebles.