PDA

View Full Version : Lead Core

Polar Bear
04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Do any of you guys troll any lead core ? what size 12 or 18 pound??/
how about any Dipsey Divers???

SuperD
04-21-2009, 05:20 PM
There are a couple extensive threads on lead core versus downriggers that you might want to search on this forum and read. At one time or another, we've all used those methods because we had to. However, for most all of us that have used downriggers, we won't be going back to the "old days" any time soon.

MackPrince
04-21-2009, 09:03 PM
I run lead core.
The main difference between #test ratings is the strength of the braided nylon around the lead not the diameter of the core. I've had good luck with both15 and 18 lb. This is much more strength than a koke requires, but they get results.

SuperD
04-21-2009, 09:17 PM
The main difference between #test ratings is the strength of the braided nylon around the lead not the diameter of the core.

That is a change from the past. When I used to use lead core, I used 18 lbs because I could get my leader up inside the sheath of the lead core easily. The 12 lbs was smaller diameter core and I'd drive myself crazy trying to splice it to my leader.

MackPrince
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Good catch SuperD.worthy12

I should clarify that for sizes 15+ the core stays the same. The 12-14# is a smaller core. The heavier core helps the 15# and stronger lines sink faster than the lighter 12#. The benefit of this is that less line needs to be let out to get the lures down.

Here's a weight comparison: The weight of the line (core and case) is measured in grains (gr) per 10 foot section: 14# - 46 gr, 18# - 110 gr, 27# - 114 gr, 36# - 118 gr., 45# - 124 gr, 60# - 131 gr.

dunnigan jim
04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Like SUPER D said ,Iused lead core for yrs before i got my first downriggers . Been useing downriggers for over 15 yrs now and can even imagine why i used lead core. I still have my lead core rods and reels (can't seem to get rid of them). I think it's because my dad taught me to fish useing them many yrs ago.

binthere50
04-22-2009, 03:58 AM
There is something about the clicker screaming when a nice trout hits a lead core trolled lure that still makes it fun....sort of like albacore fishing. Riggers
are the way to go, but I still troll leadcore in Eastern Sierra lakes as that sound
can wake you up fast when a Crowley Lake "bow" screams the line off!!....Mike

SuperD
04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Mike, we leave the clicker on and drag loose when we're using the riggers. Don't give up the reel scream for heavens sake. laugh hyst

Bduck
04-22-2009, 10:50 AM
I went over to downriggers years ago but kept leadcore around for a little while. Leadcore was good in the spring when fish weren't as deep. Oh yes the clicker. I had my fair share of heart failure especially when you were caught dozing. I've pretty much given up on the core now. Lakes are alot deeper here where I'm at now so I need the downriggers.

SuperD
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Bottomline, if you're budget straped, lead core will help you put some fish in the boat. That's the reason I started with lead core and saved for the investment in downriggers. When you are fishing 5 or 6 colors of lead, that a lot of weight for a little kokanee to pull around. Not much fight or sensetivity fishing that way but we do what we gotta do.

Polar Bear
04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
oh I got the riggers , just wanted to get some more lines out

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/ploarbear/DSC02540.jpg

SuperD
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
It's called stacking. laugh hystlaugh hyst

Polar Bear
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I guess that would let me bang out 4 more lines

Kokonuts
04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I guess that would let me bang out 4 more lines

WOW!................Thats a great looking set up Polar Bear!

I've got one Cannon Mag 10 & one Scotty manual for the other seat! I'am saving for another Cannon Mag 10!

twisted lines
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Nice!!!!!!!! and yes there are still people that drag lead, and it still works, sometimes better then the riggers!

DLM
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM

With that many downrigger balls and lines in the water that 50 horse must be the perfect trolling motor;)

Bduck
04-23-2009, 12:14 PM

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/ploarbear/DSC02540.jpg Polar Bear, How many lines can a single person fish with where your at? Here in Ut. we have to purchase a second rod permit to use a second rig. I think Cal. is the same.

binthere50
04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
SuperD....I don't give up the scream anymore!...When I started fishing riggers
a few years ago, I used spinning reels, so no clicker. Now all my rigs
are screamers!.....I don't know why, but leadcore still outfishes the riggers
sometimes at Crowley lake for trout....I swear..it's weird but true?....

SilverBullets
04-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I've been going (dare I say) trout fishing :eek: lately waiting for the kokanee lake to thaw out. We've been useing the downriggers, but this next time out I'm now armed with a couple rods with leaded line also. I'm going to drag a fly around and give it a good jerk every now and then and see what happens. Will report back on the non kokanee board. thumbsup The first time I caught a kokanee was with leaded line years ago before we got downriggers. It really took away from the whole experiance. It was almost like you were just reeling in the line...didn't feel too much of the fight. Also, it was a real guessing game trying to figure out what depth we were at.

Polar Bear
04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
here in Pennsylvania it is 2 lines per person , Maryland Has 3 lines per person so I can bang out either 4 or 6 lines at a time , but just for kicks I was trolling a secluded lake in which there is seldom anybody there I had out 4 riggers with stackers 2 planer boards each side and 1 copper rig down the shute 13 lines total then I went through a school of bigger rainbows and had 7 lines pop at once and I got 5 of the 7 and was giggleing like a little girl the whole time , and I never did anything like that since . my go to setup is 2 riggers and 2 dipsy divers

Polar Bear
04-23-2009, 07:03 PM
With that many downrigger balls and lines in the water that 50 horse must be the perfect trolling motor;)

in gear I can go down to 1.1 in the wind , dead calm 1.7

jacksonlaker
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I have not heard any mention about using snap-weights. This is mainly a walleye technique but it works great for trout or kokes. For those who are wondering, snap weights come in various sizes from 1/2 oz up to 2oz or more. You let out around 40 feet of line, then clip this weight on to your line using a small offshore release with a pin in the middle of so you dont lose it. I then let out another 40 to 60 feet of line and put in a holder or on to a planer board. A dodger/spoon combo with a 2oz snap weight will get down around 30 feet at 1.5 mph. When you are fighting a fish, you reel in up to the weight and release the weight ( easiest to do this without help !! ) and then continue to fight the fish without 3 lbs of lead core. You can buy a whole set at Cabelas. Just one more thing to add to the arsenal !!

SuperD
04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I have not heard any mention about using snap-weights. This is mainly a walleye technique but it works great for trout or kokes. For those who are wondering, snap weights come in various sizes from 1/2 oz up to 2oz or more. You let out around 40 feet of line, then clip this weight on to your line using a small offshore release with a pin in the middle of so you dont lose it. I then let out another 40 to 60 feet of line and put in a holder or on to a planer board. A dodger/spoon combo with a 2oz snap weight will get down around 30 feet at 1.5 mph. When you are fighting a fish, you reel in up to the weight and release the weight ( easiest to do this without help !! ) and then continue to fight the fish without 3 lbs of lead core. You can buy a whole set at Cabelas. Just one more thing to add to the arsenal !!

A lot of guys just starting to frown on dropping lead into our fisheries.

SilverBullets
04-23-2009, 11:19 PM
A lot of guys just starting to frown on dropping lead into our fisheries.

With that setup the weight is attached to the off-shore clip. When you reel in you just unclip the weight and put it in the boat to use over and over.