PDA

View Full Version : Ochoco Reservoir 4/20/09

SilverBullets
04-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Decided to go after some rainbows today while waiting for Paulina to open up for the kokanee season in a few weeks. We got out on the water late and missed the morning bite (if there was one). Anyway, Dad and I ended up with a couple each. I was impressed with the size...a 16", a couple 17", & a 18". All were healthy and fat. We went through a variety of lures before we found a apex they seemed to enjoy and got all between noon and 1:00...with a bunch of hits before and after. It was a beautiful day...alot of sunshine and no wind. Apex's were tipped with a piece of worm, and bathed in carpspit gel. Dodger of choice was the Seps watermelon. Fished 130' back and down 20' otw. It was a tough day, didn't see any other nets out.

Fallriverguy
04-21-2009, 04:54 PM
:eek: Boy what you learn about some people. I did not think you ever wetted your boat for anything but Kokanee. It sounds like you and your dad had a good day even if the fishing was a little slow. I have always heard the fish at Ochoco were nice fatties. I was a little surprise you used an Apex. laugh hyst

SilverBullets
04-21-2009, 11:18 PM
:eek: Boy what you learn about some people. I did not think you ever wetted your boat for anything but Kokanee. It sounds like you and your dad had a good day even if the fishing was a little slow. I have always heard the fish at Ochoco were nice fatties. I was a little surprise you used an Apex. laugh hyst

I really had to dig through the tackle box to find a Apex. :rolleyes: We usually go after rainbows before the kokanee season. Normal years early at Ochoco the fish aren't nearly that big...past years they are normally around 12"-14"...biggest so far was a 22" last year. With the Apex, I only put a small piece of worm on the first hook of the double hook set-ups. I've tried a piece on both hooks, but you loose too much action.