PDA

View Full Version : Lake Berryessa 4-18-09 - Another nice day!

HiTechKoke
04-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Hit Berryessa again but this time with 3/4 of the family. We had a hard time keeping all the lines down for a good 3 hours as we C&R'd lots of trout. The Kokes were hidden in there but harder to find this week.

Carbon copy as far as lures from the previous report with the RMT UV Spinner squid and a Pink Hoochie mama was doing the main damage although one big Koke came off of a Chartreuse RGT.

In the end we kept 5 nice Kokes that went from 15.5 to 16.25. The big Koke was a female as well which was interesting. Also kept a nice 17 inch King. We had to get through about 20 trout up to 17 inches a few dinker Kings and Kokes to get to the fatties but that was still fun and we LDR'd a bunch too. My big fish of the day broke me off after about a 8 minute fight, guessing it might have been a large King.

All fish in the 20-35 foot range from the greater Big island area and I had my usual variety of the usual Procure Kokanee scents mixed up on all the presentations.

On with the pics...

Jenna and I with a couple of slugs..

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/img_1559_std.jpg

Another fattie...

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/img_1565_std.jpg

The damage...

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/526/medium/img_1567_std.jpg

Kevin

DC18FT
04-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Atta boy Kevin. Those fish are gonna be real nice in a few months!!!!

Bryon

HiTechKoke
04-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Hey Bryon - These higher end fish are some of the biggest fish I have seen this early. They are not in high quantity it seems and some of the 12-13 inchers are starting to show as well. It is still early though but you wouldn't believe the size of the fillets right now, they are stuffed with plankton and depositing it in the boat after being caught!

redmanjr1
04-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Very nice HTK! I'm getting very jealous as I haven’t had a chance to get a line wet yet this year. Those are some very decent sized fish for this early. Way to go!

Bob

binthere50
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Lol...I've been reading quite a bit about those red sticks....how do you like them?.......enjoyed your Flaming Gorge trip videos from last year, planning to go in July.
At least I'm threatening to!........Mike nice fish!

HiTechKoke
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
The red JJ rods got a big workout the last few weeks and I am sold on them as they have the perfect give needed the upper 3/4 and a strong enough base to let you apply the muscle if you need it.

Definitely get yourself to the Gorge as I doubt you will be disappointed. Glad you enjoyed the videos as we had fun taking them in short clips and we all had an excellent time poking fun at each other along the way.

Kevin

binthere50
04-22-2009, 03:52 AM
Kevin, if you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain a little on some Gorge stuff.
There is no excuse for not knowing everything before a trip like that.
I like to show up prepared about facility's, gear, and some little subtle stuff
that usually make the difference between wasting a lot of valuable time or not.
Would that be something you would be interested in helping with?.....
Much appreciated...Mike
I fish steelhead, ALOT, so if your ever
in need of info, I like to think of myself
as a go to guy for that!....

HiTechKoke
04-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Kevin, if you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain a little on some Gorge stuff.
There is no excuse for not knowing everything before a trip like that.
I like to show up prepared about facility's, gear, and some little subtle stuff
that usually make the difference between wasting a lot of valuable time or not.
Would that be something you would be interested in helping with?.....
Much appreciated...Mike
I fish steelhead, ALOT, so if your ever
in need of info, I like to think of myself
as a go to guy for that!....

Hey Mike - Go ahead and pick my brain on the Gorge all you want as that is what this board is all about as well. If you want to call me that is fine too and I can give you my cell via a PM. I am by no means a Gorge expert with only 1 trip under my belt but there are plenty of guys here that know a ton more about it and will share their information.. I was fortunate to go on a trip with my wife with Jared Johnson as our host who grew up fishing the Gorge and we had the time of our lives catching Kokanee and I certainly got spoiled.

Kevin

Kokanee Killer
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
great fish looks like you had another great day with the kids, i posted my pics from the same day too,last steelie trip of the year check them out on the non kokanee fishing threads pa steelhead 4/18/09 did real well polar bear new kokanee forum and master troller in his own right fished with methumbsup

SilverBullets
04-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for another great report HiTech! Looked like a beautiful day to be out on the water. Our kokanee fishing is getting close up this way...can hardly wait! thumbsup

SuperD
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
we had a little barometer drop today but plan on being on Berryessa tomorrow. If I get 1/2 the fish HiTech got, I'll consider it a great day.

HiTechKoke
04-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Let us know how it goes SuperD - I may be up there again Sat.

Kevin