PDA

View Full Version : Paying it forward

Propnut69
07-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Last Saturday I had a chance to take a 14 yr old boy fishing on the gorge. This kid loves to fish,but his family has a ski boat,and they don't fish. This kid's dad is a friend of my son's,so after getting the who,what ,where ,why's about the boy, I decided that he should join my son ,and me on the water.
At five a,m sat morning I get to meet this young man for the first time.I must say I have had experienced fisherman show up less prepared then this boy was. He had his pole and his tackle with him and was ready to go. Because he has never fished for kokes before,he had no idea what to expect. After gently explaining to him,that his pole and tackle were good for steam fishing,it wasn't going to work for him on the boat.Not a problem I said I think I can scare up a little bit of tackle and pole for him to use:). We put in a Squaw hollow.and after a short boat ride we were where we wanted to be.

After a short explantion as to how down rigger's work,and how we are going to catch fish,it was time for the poles to be in the water. My son (Andy) was using a pink squid with a hyper plaid dodger,and I set Mark up with a rainbow squid,behind a hyper-plaid dodger. Well it wasn't long before Mark's pole began to bounce ,that boy had the pole out of the holder in a blink of a eye(I forgot how fast a 14 yr old boy can be) and fish on.

Under my excellent tutelage :D Mark had his first koke to the boat. It didn't matter that it was a sardine, from the smile on his face you would of thought it was a world record. He wanted to keep it,but as I explained to him,we were after bigger fish,and that we wanted the smaller ones to go back to gain a little weight . As the day progressed and both Mark and Andy were catching fish,it was easy to see that I had a future koke fan in the making.

Mark was asking a ton of questions,why do we do this ,why do we do that,and before I could answer he would be asking another question. It was great to see the interest that he was showing. At the end of the day I had him setting up his own downrigger,and picking out his own s lure set-up's I think that I got as much out of taking a complete novice fishing, and seeing him do well,as he did. The smile on that kid's face was worth it. It was very good for me to have to go back to the basic's to help Mark,as some things have become so automatic for me.I had forgot the why's of doing the things I do. I guess that complacency and repetition will do that to you after awhile. I didn't wet a line all day,and I think it was one of the best day's that I have had on the water this year..

kochanut
07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
good story!

Kokaholic
07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Good on ya Tim. Your a hero to that young man for that

Kokehead
07-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Thats great to see there is a strong future in koke-tangling. Good on ya Tim.

Petty4life
07-22-2008, 05:58 PM
right on Tim, when ya going to payit forward and take me fishing.tooexcited