PDA

View Full Version : What I've been up to

Kokanee Kid
04-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Besides herassing the stocker trout at the local pond, I have just been buying time for our kokanee season to get started. So I was looking for a shimanno curado 100 from ebay. After seeing the last one I was interested in sell for $175, I called it quits. Went and got a tica, heard some good things about them plus got it for %15 off.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/Chuck-the-duck1/pics040.jpg
I also been messing with some tackle. I'm real excited about a dogger I'm calling "The Disco Dogger". The pic does not sow up well, but if you look at the right side of the reflective tape you will see what i'm talkingabout. As well as spin-n-glow squid, and hot shots.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/Chuck-the-duck1/pics041.jpg
And last year I made a pancake downrigger weight mold. I was shooting for #5 and ended up with #5.5 weights. They have a stainless steel eye and aluminum fin. I have messed around with a rubber coating with poor results. But the weights work great.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/Chuck-the-duck1/pics042.jpg

Kokanee Killer
04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
looks like your ready to go,, hope we can fish kokes soonthumbsup

Petty4life
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
cant go wrong with that tica.

Kokaholic
04-12-2009, 09:16 PM
You will like that Tica. Besides, Tica makes Shimano. Go figure.

They say that the tica series like you have runs neck and neck with the Shimano Calcutta. Who knows.

twisted lines
04-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I have messed around with a rubber coating with poor results. But the weights work great.

Find sombody that powder coats; I had mine done for about $7.00 each and the finnish holds up great!

Silver Streak
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Nice pancake weights that you made. How did you make the mold?

Polar Bear
04-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I picked up a few 60 and 70 hotshots the other day at Cabelas for $1.88 each .....look like they might work

Kokanee Kid
04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Silver Streak: The mold was made out of aluminum on a cnc lathe to make the bowl shape. The rest was done on a conventional mill, pin holes for alignment, slot for fin, pour hole, etc. And while I was at it I made a second mold for the #5, and then make a #12 mold too.

Bduck
04-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Kokanee Kid, Those pancake weights are nice. Did you pour while mold was cold? If so, try heating it up prior to pour at or near lead melt temp and the finish should come out smoother. Just a thought. Good job on your mold. :)

Kokanee Kid
04-19-2009, 01:01 AM
The mold was pre heated, the problem is two things. First off, the quality or pureity of the lead is not top notch. Lead that is more pure pours better, period. Number two, I can not pre heat the mold enough with what I have and keep it hot enough to make a differance.

But I do know this, they help me catch fish, and that is what counts thumbsup

Bduck
04-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Your right about purities of the lead. Getting the preheat is not exactly easy. I did some smaller sinkers here while back and was wandering who pour those after I got done. They looked like junk. Evan the smaller jobs can turn into a disaster sometimes. Your weights do look good and far from what I did. thumbsup

Full_Monte
04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Sometimes pouring hot lead into the mold will get the mold up to temperature.
You can always take out your first weight and re-melt it for another pour while you pour the second one. Just make darn sure there is NO WATER on the mold when you pour, or you will get an explosion you won't believe and maybe a face full of hot lead.

RAHFISH
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
KK--Great job on the lures and weights! I intend to tie up some of the squid with spin-n-glow for our upcoming 'humpy' season on Puget Sound.

I have been to Sep's site and could not find a finish like the one on your dodger. Is this homemade or I just missed it. Any help in the area of color or tape finish would be appreciated.

Do you ever fish any of the Kok lakes up north of Seattle, like Stevens, Samish, Baker, etc?---Thx---RAHFISH

CCA, PSA

Kokanee Kid
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM
The tape I have put on the seps is aftermarket, got it at sportco in Fife. Like I said, the pic. does not do the tape any justice at all.
It looks like a disco ball thumbsup

I am a south sound kokanee fisherman. Never been up north, yet.

Kokonuts
04-22-2009, 10:21 PM
The tape I have put on the seps is aftermarket, got it at sportco in Fife. Like I said, the pic. does not do the tape any justice at all.
It looks like a disco ball thumbsup

I am a south sound kokanee fisherman. Never been up north, yet.

For more tape, check out the Auto Parts Stores. Look for the tape in 5 ft.x 5" rolls instead of the little pieces you get at the fishing dept., its about the same price.

thumbsup............Kokonuts

P.S. For a little more action on the hoochie, cut off the tip of the hoochie & push it up on the Spin & Glow with a little glue. Now it will spin with the Spin & Glow.
The color combos are endless.

Kokonuts
04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Find sombody that powder coats; I had mine done for about $7.00 each and the finnish holds up great!

Thats a good Idea! How much does the Powder Coat fill the imperfections?

I am still making some pancakes using a small cast iron frying pan for the mould. I pour the two halves & use some 1/8" plastic for the fin. The trick has been getting the two halves the same. Once I have the height right I cut a slot in one side of the pan to that heigth. Then use a couple of 1/4 x 20 bolts to hold it all together.