PDA

View Full Version : Boating in Utah Waters

Bduck
04-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Had a conversation with a DNR officer today and Utah is getting very serious about the quagga/zebra mussel problem. There is a questionaire about where your boat has been. This questionaire will be displayed in your vehicle properly dated & signed. Those who fail to comply with will be issued a ticket. This attachment is what has to be filled out.

Kokaholic
04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
We have had to fill them out at the gorge this last year for the Villa Tourney. I think its a good thing. doesnt take that long. There is a web site somewhere that you can go to that you can fill out that form and print it off and have it done before you go and not waste time at the ramp. I hope another member might remember it and post it up.

Petty4life
04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
i dont mind filling them out but it a bunch of crap they issue tickets if you dont. I have yet to se the papers at the ramp.

Bduck
04-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I think its crap too. Is this a way to generate some revenue so they can fund a project unrelated? Or new jobs in being gate guards at the state or federal parks? This is usually what happens with your money.

SmokeOnTheWater
04-11-2009, 02:30 AM
This looks like the same questionaire as last year. I agree with Kokaholic! They don't take long to complete and if boaters are honest we'll keep the waters free of the mussel problem. I would hope that the F&G take even a more agressive approach on the ramps like swabbing the bilge, livewell and trailer and if the test is positive, nail-em on the spot. Let's send a strong message to the entire boating community.

Guess what though, some unaware water enthusiast will not be 100% truthful after driving 200+ miles to launch their watercraft. Probably be a recent visitor of Lake Powell especially after this Spring Break weekend. I'll be optimistic though!?!

Hey - Will a burbot choke to death on a mussel?????????

Bduck
04-11-2009, 09:18 AM
It is the same questionaire. But its like any other form, its gonna go thru changes. Those questions on just Arizona & Calif. are no longer an issue. It is now struck home. Red Fleet Res. & Electra Lake are infected here. We do need onsight inspections and decontamination stations. Here's a chance for some one to come up with a product, safe to the environment of coarse, to decon. your boat. A millionaire in the works. :rolleyes:

Kokaholic
04-11-2009, 11:29 AM
If we dont ALL take a little bit of responsability to do the right thing, This, Like many other little things are going to destroy and take away our fisheries. Lets look at a few things like, The mussels, Burbot, The talk of the pipeline that will more than likely go in and take water from teh gorge over to Colrado. Its these things that are eating away our oppertunities out there.

If all it takes is 30 minutes at the ramp for them to do a quick check on my boat to make sure I am ok to launch, Then I will live with that. If what I here about these mussels is true, Its not going to be pretty!

FishHunter
04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Colorado came up with the same type of thing in 2008. A certification has to filled out and kept on the dash of your vehicle at the lake each time you go so the DOW can see it. If you have traveled to another lake in the last 8 days prior to fishing a new lake, there are boat washes at some lakes that you must use to wash down your boat before entering the water. It is not bad, just takes a little planning to go to the boat wash before getting on the water. I am all for it to protect the waters we fish and recreate on.

Kokaholic
04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree. Then I can see them jacking the price up to use the facilities to maintain and care for the washdown. And is it working each time you get there. Lots to consider.

Full_Monte
04-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Here is what is happening with inspection fees in California:

http://www.kcra.com/news/19110868/detail.html

It may be what's in the future for all states with potential quagga mussel problems. I never saw a government that didn't take an opportunity to get more taxes and fees.

Koke Addict
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
It looks like Utah DWR has finally updated their website and posted a Self-Certify Certificate we can print out and take with us. Saves some time at the ramp if you fill it out before you go.

Here's the address: http://wildlife.utah.gov/mussels/PDF/self_certify.pdf

I'll work on making it a fillable .PDF form. Fill it out on the pc, print and sign.

bobco
05-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Colorado came up with the same type of thing in 2008. A certification has to filled out and kept on the dash of your vehicle at the lake each time you go so the DOW can see it. If you have traveled to another lake in the last 8 days prior to fishing a new lake, there are boat washes at some lakes that you must use to wash down your boat before entering the water. It is not bad, just takes a little planning to go to the boat wash before getting on the water. I am all for it to protect the waters we fish and recreate on.
thats all history now, manditory inspections of all boats before launch now is the norm. Taylor Park is the only lake not inspecting that I know of. Blue Mesa has closed all but Stevens Crk, Lake Fork and Elk Creek. Launchng only from 5:30 am to 9:30pm, anybody caught launching at any other spots or off hours will recieve tickets. OH boy here we go what a pain this is going to be, I'm all for protecting the lake but if you have to line up and wait for 30 minutes tempers will flair!! How are we going to fund this? I see boating costing allot more in the near future, you know me and you are going to pay for it!