PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee slime and cracked hands

Fallriverguy
04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Does anyone else find that Kokanee slime dries out their hands? After a day of Kokanee fishing and handling fish my hands get very dry and my fingers crack to the point they even bleed. This past weekend I tried washing them thoroughly after each fish, but that did not help. I am about ready to wear gloves all the time.

SuperD
04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
While gloves seem like an obvious solution, they just drive me crazy and I can't use my fingers the same way. Try getting yourself a jar of shea butter hand cream. It is fish scent friendly and will help keep your hands moist. If I had to bet, I'd bet the hard water is having more to do with drying your hands out than the fish slime.

AFDan52
04-06-2009, 06:21 PM
These are all good points to think about.

Kokonuts
04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Does anyone else find that Kokanee slime dries out their hands? After a day of Kokanee fishing and handling fish my hands get very dry and my fingers crack to the point they even bleed. This past weekend I tried washing them thoroughly after each fish, but that did not help. I am about ready to wear gloves all the time.

I never caught that many at one time, so I havnt had that problem!......laugh hyst.......Kokonuts

Kokanee Killer
04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
try this stuff called zimms crack creme it works, my hands get dried out bad while fishing too,but a copious amount on before bed time wear gloves to bed and let it soak in overnite,,, it really works you can get it at pretty much any drug store cvs,rexall etc.

SmokeOnTheWater
04-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Did you ever consider the possibility you might be allergic and that you may be experiencing some sort of allergic reaction? I would mention this to your doctor. Do you you experience this problem when handling other species of fish? Do you develop this skin disorder at one particular lake?? There are alot of variables to consider.

Full_Monte
04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I fished commercial salmon in Alaska for a short time (on vacation, if you can believe that), and learned what the pros up there do for cracked and bleeding hands. They use Bag Balm, which is available at tack & feed stores and Costco.
It comes in a square green tin and looks like Vaseline. The product is used in the dairy industry to make the teats of milk cows heal up between milkings.
Farmers discovered that it works well on human hands as well. It will heal hands overnight, including small cuts that can hurt.

When you apply the balm, it feels real greasy until it gets absorbed by the skin, which can take 20 minutes or so. I usually use it just before bedtime, and will put cotton gloves on if I can't wait for the greasy condition to dissipate.

daffy
04-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I worked construction before getting the job I have now... I had the same problem with my hands on a dewatering job I had when I worked on the Jackson Lake Dam. Dont bother making an appointment with a doctor, it is normal with hard water and having dry skin... I havent had a problem for years. All the advice you got here is all that you need... One thing though do you towel dry your hands after getting them wet at the lake? I find if I do that and once in a while apply lotion or oil to my skin when they do get dry (at the lake) it takes care of it. Also the Bag Balm is terriffic stuff like the others said apply lots at night and put gloves on wil really work... Have a good one. LBD

Bduck
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I fished commercial salmon in Alaska for a short time (on vacation, if you can believe that), and learned what the pros up there do for cracked and bleeding hands. They use Bag Balm, which is available at tack & feed stores and Costco.
It comes in a square green tin and looks like Vaseline. The product is used in the dairy industry to make the teats of milk cows heal up between milkings.
Farmers discovered that it works well on human hands as well. It will heal hands overnight, including small cuts that can hurt.

When you apply the balm, it feels real greasy until it gets absorbed by the skin, which can take 20 minutes or so. I usually use it just before bedtime, and will put cotton gloves on if I can't wait for the greasy condition to dissipate. Being a mechanic, I have this problem all the time and when I go fishing it seems to get worse. Full Monte is on with the Bag Balm. I usually buy the Udder Balm which comes in regular or medicated. I tried both and it works. Available in tack & feed, IFA stores, etc. thumbsup By the way, it can probably put his & her KY out of business. laugh hyst

Neptune
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I have this same problem when fishing/catching lots of fish of any kind. I use Stokolan cream. I put it on once after a good day of fishing and my hands are good to go.

Another thing that helps is making sure you dry your hands after handling the fish and rinsing your hands. Basically your hands are chapping...

Good Luck

Fallriverguy
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. thumbsup I don't dry my hands after washing them but will do so now. I'll so try the bag balm the night before I go fishing to see if I can hydrate them before hand. Another friend suggested that I use a wet towel to handle the fish to avoid the slime.

TroutScout
04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Neutrogena Emulsion. Norwegian formula, long lasting dry skin treatment works well for me. Walgreens or Walmart.

Kokanee Katcher
08-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I see that you are from Oregon and I've had great results from using a product manufactured in Sisters Oregon. It is called "Working Hands Creme" and it doesn't have the odor of the Bag Balm or the stickiness; really takes care of small cuts also. Good stuff for dry, cracked heels that I get during the duck hunting season. 1-800-275-2718