PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa 4/4

Old School
04-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Went to Berryessa with my buddy yesterday.

Capell was super calm, but main body was different story. Blew my 14 ft Klam off my normal spots. Ducked into narrows towards dam and hooked up with 2 dink kokes and 2 trout in PLs area. One more trout near dam so headed back and landed a 14.5 inch koke and lost another same size just out of net range near PLs, and a couple more trout. Fishished at 12 and headed back through the gauntet of swells again and sighed a big relief when we made it back safely to the outer cove near Capell. We definately tested my boats limits, and learned some lessens. Other then the main body swells the weather was absolutely perfect and the scenery was beautiful. Had to put on sunscreen even. Lots of boaters out enjoying the spring weather. I cant wait to get back on a calmer day.

Best st up:

Pink dodgers w pink rgt hoochie momas. 10" leaders.
can shoe p with anise ext, koke sp. and pred. on everthing.
17-20' otw
1.5 mph

Old school

camotracker
04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
right on old school. way to hang in there.thumbsup berryessa can be a windy lake at times.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

Full_Monte
04-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Way to go, Old School! I'm curious about what lessons you learned on a "bad wind day". I had some lessons to learn when I took my 15 1/2 ft. Gregor to Baja. When the weather turns bad, the wind turns up, and I'm forced to park the boat on the beach. The ride into the beach from 8 miles off shore was loaded with wave spray hitting us in the face, getting us all wet. When we made it to the beach, the waves crashed over the stern, and I didn't have an automatic bilge pump set up. I had a manual-switch bilge pump, but the pump would spin even when there was no water in the boat. I now have an automatic setup with a float switch. Another lesson learned.

Old School
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Full Monte,

Last year I never experienced chop that bad. So I didn't know how bad it would be.

Weather rpt said 5-8 mph so I knew to expect wind, but not as bad a chop as there was. Also several days prior report was very windy.

Next time if its windy I will launch out of Markley where its much more protected.

Its a long way in a 14 ft aluminum accross the main body from Capell launch to the fishing grounds, but shorter then Markley so its still ideal if its calm and its free.

I hope the weather lays down this Saturday so I can get into them. Nothing like fresh bbqd koke for Easter brunch!

Old School

HiTechKoke
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Glad to see you got your Koke season rolling...Maybe we'll see you out there Sat as I think I may try again up there for some kokes. Markley is usually calm but if it is a Northerly wind it's just an issues of staying out of the way from everyone trying to dock at the same time or drop somebody off.

On this last trip it was the windiest at the launch that I have seen, no chop though, just surface wind. I dropped the wife off at the gas dock and she walked around to get the trailer. I practiced my reverse driving skills keeping the boat stationary with the wind at my back 50 yards away from teh crowds.