PDA

View Full Version : The Big to Little Question....???

Neptune
04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
All,

I have a body of water in my neck of the woods (Lake Koocanusa) that is teaming with Kokanee. The lake is 93 miles long(in the US, it extends into Canadia stomper). There are literally Millions of Kokanee in this lake, but the biggest I have ever caught is about 12".

Now the Kokanee are eaten by the Kamloops Rainbows and the Bull Trout in the lake, along with the Squaw fish and Suckers.

Not many people around these parts are willing to give much info on big Kokes in that body of water.

The real question is do you all think I'm wasting my time trying to find the bigger fish?

Thanks!

SuperD
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
There are literally Millions of Kokanee in this lake

I would say, yes, you are wasting your time looking for the bigger fish. There are many lakes here in CA that have populations of Kokanee that will only get so big based on habitat and total numbers of fish. For tablefare, I'd catch easy limits of 12" ers all day long.

MackPrince
04-02-2009, 11:32 PM
There may be some larger kokes in Koocanusa, but with the competing trout and pikeminnows as predators the koke size will largley depend on the plankton supply. My home lake was similar with mackinaw as predators and mature fish were 12-14".

Bduck
04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't rule out the possibility just yet. Have you tried talking to fish & game? Sometimes on their fish surveys, they come up with surprising numbers on whats happening in a reservoir. Flaming Gorge is a large reservoir and hold a large population of different species of fish. I have always been told that the larger kokes are on the Wyoming side near Buckboard and some down around the pipeline area. Propnut69 would be a good one to pm since the Gorge is his back yard. With the reservoir as large as your saying it would be difficult to pinpoint the honey hole. As you say, its sometimes hard to get a local to open up. Got beer? thumbsup Thats just my opinion. Hope you find the answers your looking for.

Neptune
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
From the variation in replies, it sounds like my quandary is universal but not absolute... ;)

Are there any techniques that specifically target larger Kokes that I should try?

Kokanee Killer
04-03-2009, 11:11 AM
From the variation in replies, it sounds like my quandary is universal but not absolute... ;)

Are there any techniques that specifically target larger Kokes that I should try?
try deep jigging,, seems to get the larger kokes for me especially prespawn when our kokes are schooled up tight ,just my observation though i am sure some of the great guys on this board have tactics that work for you too

Fallriverguy
04-03-2009, 11:48 AM
If the lake is over populated then finding larger Kokanee will be difficult. There are two lakes in Oregon that have natural reproduction. Both tend to have smaller fish. One of the lakes has seen the population decline and subsequently the fish have increased in size. 10 years ago you could not find a big fish.

Lundman
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi Neptune - I've fished Flathead & Lake Mary Ronan for kokanee through the ice many years ago and you could actually see the schools of kokanee swimming under the ice and most fish were in the 10" to 12" range.

As far as Lake Koocanusa I would go to where the kokanee spawn in the fall and see what size the fish are - are there many big kokanee spawning? If so what is the percentage? Of course the State Game & Fish could probably provide this information.

Then at least you would know what percentage of the population you are targeting.

Good luck and hope that 20" is in your future... U of M Graduate

HiTechKoke
04-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Going to the spawning grounds is a good way to tell post fact and also a lot of fun. I can tell you that people were very surprised to see some unusually large Kokes come up for spawning at Tahoe this year.

sparky
07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I will be visiting your fine lake in just a weeks time. I will be based out of Rexford. Can I get a few tips as to what you use to successfully troll for Kokanee on your lake? I was going to start with Flash Lites as an attractor and different colored wedding rings. I have many other Kokanee teasers, including jigs. What seem to be the most productive colors? I planned on down rigger fishing, only if required.

What will be be my starting depth to begin with? Any there any areas around Rexford that are productive, or should I just use some topograpy maps and locate the feeder creeks? I promise I won't kill too many. Is chumming allowed? I have not acquired my Montana license or regulations yet.

I have fished Kokanee from Lakes Chelan, Wenatchee, Kachess, Kacheelus, Baker, and Washington (mature Sockeye). For Sockeye bare red hooks with pink yarn flies behinnd a "0" dodger kills a lot of fish. Lately, and krill imitation seems to catch them -- from bare blue, black, and pink hooks.

Oh, and how do I catch a few giant trout? Long lining flies at twilight?

Sparky

Neptune
07-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Sparky,

I have had success with trolls and wedding rings, small apex in fire and ice, Kokanee red, and Kavorkian(this may also get you a Bull Trout or Kamloops). The reds and oranges seem to work best for me.

When you come out of the Rexford Bench launch, head North around the first point on the right and there will be a big Bay. If you leave in the morning you will probably see a bunch of boats anchored, they are jigging for Kokes. I have found that in Koocanusa you catch larger Kokes trolling than jigging. That whole bay holds thousands of Kokanee. Your limit is 50/day!!!

PM me with more questions if you have them, I'd be glad to help!

sparky
07-10-2009, 10:40 AM
This is a fall Chinook from the Humptulips river on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. I hope to catch a Kamloops about this size.

sparky
07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Are fluorocarbon leaders helpful when trolling or jigging?

What is preferred -- gang trolls or dodgers?

What do the jiggers like to use? I would like to learn it to apply to Lake Chelan, one of my favorite fisheries. I bet I can get some hot lures in Rexford. Gotta support the local economy. Plus I "collect" lures. Hundreds.

Do you ever use Green Giant shoe peg white sweet corn as an enticement? It is very popular in Washington and California.

MMDON
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I would say, yes, you are wasting your time looking for the bigger fish. There are many lakes here in CA that have populations of Kokanee that will only get so big based on habitat and total numbers of fish. For tablefare, I'd catch easy limits of 12" ers all day long.

+1 While you may catch the rare hold over fish, with Kokanee you get what the lake produces. Over crowding causes stunting just like goldfish in a bowl. Might as well enjoy what the lake provides rather than obsessing. thumbsup

sparky
08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Fellow slayers of the lil Kokes,

Looking for the super secret chumming recipe. I am told the basic ingredients are oatmeal and cherry jello. I would think rock salt and a scent might be involved. Any help? I want to try it on Lake Kachess here in Washington.

I am not looking for the keys to Libby Dam, just a little help fellows.

If you dont want to post it publicly, sne me an email at --

smooresm at comcast dot net