PDA

View Full Version : Hittin' Koocanusa on Sunday...

Neptune
04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Boats about ready to go, and I've got the ich so bad I'm raw!!!

If I can't get in at Rexford Bench(because of ice) I just keep moving south 'til I hit open water!!!

zfk55
04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
So would I if the boat shed wasn't still deep in snow.

P

Neptune
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
So would I if the boat shed wasn't still deep in snow.

P
Two weekends ago I dug my boat out from behind a massive drift in my yard. I broke my snow blower in the process and had to move about 10 cu/yards of snow by hand...

Then the floats were stuck on the lower two carbs on my Yamaha F100 so got that fixed and now I'm ready to hit the water!!!

zfk55
04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Good fishing. We'll be checking the Thompsons every once in a while now. At Koocanusa we usually put in right at the dam on the west side.
Next year I'm covering the entrance to the boat shed so we're not fighting ice, and that's the real problem, not the snow.

P

Neptune
04-06-2009, 10:33 AM
got Skunked on the Kokanee on Sunday, but there was still ice in the location I normally catch them at....did get a nice Kamloops though...my first ever...5lbs 4oz...
https:\www.dingoranch.comfishingJeffKamloops

And great looking table fare!

http://www.dingoranch.com/fishing/Ready4BBQ.jpg

Neptune
04-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Heading back to Koocanusa tomorrow... Got a couple Lyman 1" plugs to try out in bright orange and a couple other colors...

Neptune
04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Tried the new gear and some old tried and true stuff for the kokes on Koocanusa and didn't even get a bite. Not seeing much in the way of schools on the fish finder either. Water is still pretty cold, highest I saw was 38degrees(topwater)...

Did get 2 nice Bull Trout, one 9lbs 13oz and the other 10lbs 6oz(biggest trout I've ever caught!)

http://www.dingoranch.com/fishing/KoocanusaBull1b_4_10_2009small.JPG

Neptune
04-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Headin' to Koocanusa again tomorrow...Hope the Kokes are biting now and the Kamloops are too!!!

SilverBullets
04-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Nice bull trout Neptune! Hope the kokanee are biting next time out...keep us updated!thumbsup

Neptune
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Well the water has warmed up about 4 degrees on top to a high of 42 that I saw yesterday. Only one anemic Koke all day and one little Kamloops Rainbow. Weather was much nicer than the Weather Guessers said it would be so that was great. The water has clouded up a great deal and the weather has been quite unsettled so not too surprised that the fishing wasn't stellar.

and for those of you not up in the Northern Rockies: I got 2" of snow this morning...:eek:

HoweAboutMontana
05-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey Jeff,

Have you been back up north? I am going to go up to Bitteroot Saturday to try for some, might go to Koocanusa for the derby next weekend.

Nice to find you on here, looks like a cool forum

Mike

Neptune
03-31-2010, 01:34 PM
I've heard tale of 14+ inch Kokes in Koocanusa but have never seen one...until last Saturday.

Buddy and I have been fishing Koocanusa pretty regular this spring, we've made 4 trips so far, catching many nice Bulls and hunting for the elusive Kamloops. Well last Saturday we decide to venture a few miles south of the Bridge. We were marking fish like crazy of all sizes, changing gear, presentation, speed, depth, you name it we tried it...still no Rainbows..BUT what we did find were a few Bulls(no surprise there), and One very mysterious Koke. I was changing gear on my outside Planer Board line, putting on a 4.5" "cop car" Apex and as I was letting it out the planer line I felt this thrum of tugs, then 'swish' the line went south off the release and I had a fish. It was definitely not a Bull, could tell by the pounding..then dead...kept reeling in then the pounding was back...then dead...finally got it to the boat and WOW big (for Koocanusa) Kokanee. I caught a 13.5" Koke on a 4.5" Apex that looked like it could be his little brother.

Strange thing was we picked it up right after we went through one of the hundreds of schools of fish of every size that we marked on the Sonar. My guess is that there may be a class year of Kokes that is bigger than one would expect for Koocanusa, and they aren't foraging in their normal fashion, they're eating fish!!!

If I make it back up there this weekend, I will be testing this theory out!

Good Fishing!

HoweAboutMontana
04-07-2010, 06:57 PM
101goodpost101 tooexcited

Well??????

Neptune
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Haven't made it back up there to try out the Kokanee theory... Weather was terrible last weekend...fishing by yourself can be very peaceful but its a bugger in the wind!

Neptune
05-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Anyone else fishing the derby this weekend? If so I'm staying at the Koocanusa Marina camp ground and we should have a meet and greet!

Neptune
05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Well I was completely unsuccessful at catching Rainbow this last weekend. I did catch a few Kokes, nothing to right home about biggest was probably 10". I did however catch this little fella on my Diawa Spinmatic with my Pfueger President spooled with 4lb fireline...10.6LB Bull Trout!
http://www.dingoranch.com/fising/bigbull_rz.jpg

Gotta say that Spinmatic is one hell of a rod, no issues and this fish almost spooled me. Thought we were going to have to back down on it to get it to the boat for a while there...