PDA

View Full Version : How do you use (apply) fish scent?

Kokanee Slow
04-02-2009, 01:03 AM
I have read different things about applying fish attractant, or scent. Including to smear it on the lures, or inject it into the bait (nightcrawler, minnow), or use on the hands like a lotion. I hope this will be interesting.

How do you koke fishermen use the fish scents?

SmokeOnTheWater
04-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Keep your hands clean at all times especially if you're handling fuel or engine oil. Personally, I like the gel scents simply because they last longer than the liquid varieties. If you have a scent that works for you and you can't find it in a gel, call or write the manufacturer. You can buy a bottle of glycerin at most drug stores. This is clear, unscented and will thicken up any of your liquid scents but mix only what you need for the day and use it fresh. If this doesn't work for you, then you're not out much money and you haven't wasted a bottle of scent.;)

Applying it directly to your hands makes for a nasty tasting sandwich.tongue2

SilverBullets
04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Liquid scents work best for making up batches of scented corn, the gels are used to smear on lures, dodgers, and even the downrigger ball.
As far as making up a batch of scented corn, we mainly use the White Shoepeg. After draining the liquid out, add corn to a few small containers. Then add different scents, and a few drops of Anise to each. You can also sprinkle a bit of Wizard Kokanee Killer Korn Magic to toughen the corn and keep it from spoiling. I always make one batch in pink with a sprinkle of Wizard Kokanee Killer Korn Dye. Another thing to try is Pautzke's Nectar. Do all this a couple days before fishing so the scents have time to soak in...keep refrigerated, and keep cool on the boat...should last for a couple weeks. For scents, try Kokanee Special, Carp Spit, Garlic, Shrimp/Prawn, Krill, Squid, and Vanilla Extract.

wahoohunter
04-02-2009, 12:41 PM
My 2 cents
By the way, good stuff about the glycerin-I'll have to try that.
I was going to say that I fished one time with a guide for Stripers on the Sacramento River and he advocated using a Krill gel on your hands before handling anything that went into the water-to mask scent that might be on your hands (chips, smoking, etc.) Since then, I got in the habit of using it for every type of fishing, including Kokes. Pautzke's makes it in a screw top container.
Just thought I pass it on for whatever it's worth.

Bduck
04-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Keep your hands clean at all times especially if you're handling fuel or engine oil. Personally, I like the gel scents simply because they last longer than the liquid varieties. If you have a scent that works for you and you can't find it in a gel, call or write the manufacturer. You can buy a bottle of glycerin at most drug stores. This is clear, unscented and will thicken up any of your liquid scents but mix only what you need for the day and use it fresh. If this doesn't work for you, then you're not out much money and you haven't wasted a bottle of scent.;)

Applying it directly to your hands makes for a nasty tasting sandwich.tongue2 Might need to keep a couple extra beers on hand to help those sandwiches taste better. :rolleyes:

SuperD
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
About the only thing I don't like about Koke fishing is the mess it makes of my boat. It seems no other species I fish for requires so much scent be applied in the process. And of course, spills seem guaranteed. How many of you wash your tackle after every trip? Worried about scent going rancid on your lures?

DLM
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I carry a small 6-pack size cooler on the boat filled with lake water and some lemon joy for my hands and lures.

I do not use gels on lures, expecially hoochies or tubes, it is too hard to get out. For those I use regular scent which washes off much easier.

I use gel somtimes on unsented corn just before it goes into the water.

RC McKokanee
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
make sure you gas up the day before fishing. you can always wear surgical gloves until you put the line in the water, and a electric trolling motor will keep your hands away from the gas engine. i'm not sure about putting any of that smelly stuff on my hands. it might make the beer slip out of my hand