PDA

View Full Version : Hell Hole Reservoir

Bduck
03-29-2009, 11:52 AM
The last time I was at Hell Hole was back in 83'. I didn't realize there were Kokes up there until I saw it on the list. As I remember, I didn't do to well up there. Has anyone tried fishing it? Seems like it was kind of a long drive up and little to no camping. The name of the lake fits it well. movie89586

Kokaneemart
03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Bduck,

Hell Hole is actually a very nice lake and has some excellent kokes in it. When I was a kid (in the 60's) it was a new lake in a very remote and rough canyon on the Rubicon. In the years before that my Dad and his friends used to hunt bear in it as it was an area that had many bears and it was a place that the Parks dept would release the bad bears out of Yosemite Park.

We have done well there trolling for kokes along the East side of the lake, by the dam and by the water inflow on the West side. The kokes can run @ 15 inches in a good year. The camping is at the top of the hill away from the lake as well as boat camping in the back of the lake.

It has some really nice German Browns and some macks in it. Also, 2 nice streams feed it and they are full of nice raimbows. Overall...its a really nice, remote lake and very unique for Calif. lakes.

Bduck
03-31-2009, 03:29 AM
Bduck,

Hell Hole is actually a very nice lake and has some excellent kokes in it. When I was a kid (in the 60's) it was a new lake in a very remote and rough canyon on the Rubicon. In the years before that my Dad and his friends used to hunt bear in it as it was an area that had many bears and it was a place that the Parks dept would release the bad bears out of Yosemite Park.

We have done well there trolling for kokes along the East side of the lake, by the dam and by the water inflow on the West side. The kokes can run @ 15 inches in a good year. The camping is at the top of the hill away from the lake as well as boat camping in the back of the lake.

It has some really nice German Browns and some macks in it. Also, 2 nice streams feed it and they are full of nice raimbows. Overall...its a really nice, remote lake and very unique for Calif. lakes. Thanks Ric, appreciate the info. Sometimes when a place doesn't leave a lasting impression, its hard to remember how I saw it. I only went there once. Its been a very long time since I was there. I do know that part of Cal. is picturesque. That part of it I remember some. I did know there were browns and rainbows there, but unaware of lakers and kokes. It would be great if I could visit that place again under different circumstances. But like I said, its name sure fits it. That is lodged in the back of my archives. :rolleyes:

SuperD
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
I took my wife there once and she has vowed to never go back. We got a little lost trying to get out of there and had brake smoke billowing out from the wheelwells on a few of the down grades. I'd like to try it again but it would definitely have to be on a "guy trip".

Bduck
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
I took my wife there once and she has vowed to never go back. We got a little lost trying to get out of there and had brake smoke billowing out from the wheelwells on a few of the down grades. I'd like to try it again but it would definitely have to be on a "guy trip". Your right Super D. It would definitely have to be a guy trip. Lots of beer. laugh hyst