PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Books ???

Kokanee Killer
03-27-2009, 10:04 PM
other than kokanee by dave biser,,,is there any other great kokanee books out there??i have lots of college study books from my school days,but these are strictly biology and icthiology based,,i cant find any like bisers book though thanks kk.violin

redmanjr1
03-27-2009, 11:52 PM
The only other one that I have found is not Kokanee specific. It's called "Trolling Truths for Trout, Kokanee, and Landlocked King Salmon" by Sep and Marilyn Hendrickson. It's an okay book, gives some good tips but I think Dave Biser's book is probably the best out there. Look at it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Trolling-Truths-Sep-Hendrickson/dp/1571883096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238212307&sr=1-1

Bob

SilverBullets
03-28-2009, 11:38 AM
In the Pacific Northwest we have a magazine called Salmon Trout Steelheader. Check out www.amatobooks.com Every year there are some very good articles on kokanee fishing. They pretty much take it to the next level with the new tactics and tackle that have come out since Dave Bisers book was published. This month's has a kokanee artical on uv tackle, hoochie rigging, and corn sustitutes. Also, like redmanjr1 mentioned, Trolling Truths has alot of good information. A few other books that would be worth checking out are... "The Troller's Handbook" by Ray Rychnovsky, "Trolling Top to Bottom" by Mark Romanack and "Downrigger Fishing Secrets" by Dick Pool.

SilverBullets
03-28-2009, 01:54 PM
A couple web sites to check out for some good information...
www.hotspotlures.com click on "tips and tricks" to get to "Deadly Trolling Techniques"
www.captaindownriggins.com click on "rigging" to get to "Deadly Hootchie Rigging Secrets"

Full_Monte
03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
A couple web sites to check out for some good information...
www.hotspotlures.com click on "tips and tricks" to get to "Deadly Trolling Techniques"
www.captaindownriggins.com click on "rigging" to get to "Deadly Hootchie Rigging Secrets"

Thanks, Silver Bullets...good info.
I notice that he rigs his hooks pointed in opposite directions. Do many Koke fishermen do this? What's the thinking behind it?

SilverBullets
03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I notice that he rigs his hooks pointed in opposite directions. Do many Koke fishermen do this? What's the thinking behind it?

I've seen koke fisherman tie all kinds of ways...straight, opposite, and at a 45 degree angle. I suppose everyone goes by their own way of thinking on this as far as how the stinger hook does it's job. I go by the line of thought that since the fish is normally hooked on the front hook, the trailer needs close to the same direction to dig in...

Kokanee Killer
03-28-2009, 09:54 PM
thanks red man jr and silver bullets i have been a subscriber for a long time to sts,bill herzog has done some great kokanee articles,i wish dave biser would update his book though, sorry this is my second reply did this thread get moved or am i seeing things

redmanjr1
03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Great web sites Silver Bullets. Ive been building a lot of different documents on fishing/trolling tips (not just kokes) and these sites have helped add to that library. Thanks,
Bob

CaptDownriggins
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM

Thanks to all who viewed my site- welcome!

To answer the question of the way the hooks are rigged this particular way...

When trolling for salmon at faster speeds the hoochies tend to roll with the rotation of a flasher. This offers one hook point in any direction, or angle of attack, of the fish's strike..

With a dodger and side-to-side action vice rotation, I would recommend keeping the hooks "in line" and opposing (bending) the stinger hook in the opposite direction. This will really open up the bite area significantly.

SilverBullets
03-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Welcome to Kokanee Fishing Forums CaptDowriggins! thumbsup After clicking on your website a few years back I found it to be extremely interesting. I know your hoochies are developed for a different species than what we typically rig for here and want to thank you for explaining the rigging differences. Those knots on your rigs are a work of art. Any plans on coming out with some smaller sizes? Again, welcome...great to have you here! worthy12
When you say bend the stinger hook in the opposite direction, do you mean bending the front hook to the right and the trailer to the left?

CaptDownriggins
03-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Welcome to Kokanee Fishing Forums CaptDowriggins! thumbsup I found your website a few years back, and find it extremely interesting. I know your hoochies are developed for a different species than what we typically rig for here and want to thank you for explaining the rigging differences. Those knots on your rigs are a work of art. Any plans on coming out with some smaller sizes? Again, welcome...great to have you here! worthy12
When you say bend the stinger hook in the opposite direction, do you mean bending the front hook to the right and the trailer to the left?

Yes! Your forward hook will already be offset to the left.. Be careful when bending the stinger hook to the right.

The hook arrangement on my hoochies will cerainly work for the smaller Koke hoochies. You'll need to move the hooks back even further. I recommend placing the forward hook's point just past the tentacles (both hook exposed). With the hooks in this position, your fish should have both hooks firmly in the mouth vice just the forward hook.

There's some really neat tricks on the "rigging" page that I have used for Kokes at American Lake here in WA. Adding yarn underneath the hoochie body is deadly effective.. Load it up with Krill or Shrimp oil (not paste). I would also recommend soaking the yarn in the juices of Shoepeg corn.

I have been flooded with emails the last few months or so requesting Koke hoochies... so I have no choice but to give the angler their wishes - IT'S COMING! Unfortunately not soon enough as salmon season is here for me and the retailers. In fact, a good friend of 30-years is getting ready to have his hands on some for preliminary testing- Bill Herzog.

What I need is feedback from you guys.. What hooks sizes and leader weight do you prefer? I don't want a bunch of overhead here in the house if you know what I mean... I'll probably run two choices of different sizes of hooks and leader weights.

Silver... thanks for the kind words on the knots.. I take a lot of pride in personally tying each and every one of them! It's my signature so to speak!

DLM
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Capt,

What do you recommend as the best spacer to use in front of the hooks to set them back to the end of the tenticles? Beads? Tubes? Or something else?

All my rigs are set up with #2 and #4 Gamakatsu drop shot hooks in red. Some put the #4 in front and the trailing hook is a #2.

CaptDownriggins
03-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Capt,

What do you recommend as the best spacer to use in front of the hooks to set them back to the end of the tenticles? Beads? Tubes? Or something else?

All my rigs are set up with #2 and #4 Gamakatsu drop shot hooks in red. Some put the #4 in front and the trailing hook is a #2.

I like the little red coffee stir straws. Very lightweight, but strong. You'll have to take an exacto knife to split them- unless you find them in single straws (very hard to find).

Kokanee Killer
03-30-2009, 10:30 PM
thread hijacked lol lolcrymeariver

SilverBullets
03-30-2009, 11:41 PM
thread hijacked lol lolcrymeariver

Sorry about that Kokanee Killer... Anyone else know of some good books or literature on kokanee fishing?

SilverBullets
04-30-2009, 06:23 PM
If you haven't already, check out the May 2009 issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine. Excellent kokanee article wrote by Bill Herzog. He went out with Jared and Corey and got spoiled at the Gorge!

Kokanee Killer
04-30-2009, 10:12 PM
yeah silver bullets i did check it out,excellant article from bill herzog as usual,i think sts is the only mag that regulary has kokanee articles,how many kokes did ya get?

redmanjr1
04-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I also picked up that issue, very good article. I think I'm going to subscribe in the very near future.

Bob

S.S. Fireball
05-06-2009, 01:44 PM
My brother got me a subscription to Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine and the illustrious 'Women in Waders' calendar for christmas last year. I highly recommend both.

Bill's kokanee article was great.