PDA

View Full Version : Blacklight UV test

DLM
03-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I bought a blacklight today to test some of the lures, hoochies, tubes, pro-cure uv gel, paint and tape that I have been playing with. Wow. What an education in just a short test.

This picture is some of my apex lures. The only one that is actually uv is the green one on the left. All the others are just standard or fluorescent. They all just jumped alive when I turned on the light. The red and orange glowed almost as much as the geen uv. The others glowed but to a lesser degree.

Then I tried some uv hoochies from RMT. They also exploded with color and brightness. Some of these are pink haze and some have no color, look white in normal light. They came out more blue in the picture than they did in real life.

HiTechKoke
03-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Cool pics.... The Pink Double Glo Hoochies really light em up under UV. I always have a cheap U.V. Flashlight around at the sports shows to see the U.V view of the tackle.

Kevin

Bduck
03-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Amazing!!! Makes you wonder if they lite up you boat at nite time. Good job.

Petty4life
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Amazing!!! Makes you wonder if they lite up you boat at nite time. Good job.

there not glow so at night it wouldn't lite up they need uv light to look like that.

SilverBullets
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Great post dlm! Thanks for sharing. A question I have is what is the advantage of all this new uv tackle when fluorescent lures glow just as much under uv light? The only advantage I see is in the clear products that glow uv now. Why not just make the clear products fluorescent colors since they glow the same under uv light? Am I missing something here? I guess maybe the fish see them both a different way? I'm just a little confused...they say fish are attracted to uv light, but seeing your pictures shows both fluorescent and uv lures looking the same under that light. Seems to me a fluorescent lure would have more attraction on cloudy days when less uv light is available.

DLM
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
The only thing I can think of is maybe the UV lures are visible from further away than the fluoresent. I will test this out if I get time this weekend.

One thing I did test last night was some Anise gel that was supposed to be UV. I put it on a flatfish that I first confirmed was not uv in any way. I was afraid I put too much gel on it, more than I needed, but under the light it was barely reflective, and very streaky, in a light yellow color. I will do further tests on this also.

Neptune
04-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Just to add a little more mystery to this whole "UV" lure trend...

Ultraviolet light is absorbed in most bodies of water within the top of the water column, to 20 feet or so. This leaves no UV light penetrating below that...

the comment about fluorescent lures is spot on, they are a better choice for fishing deeper....

DLM
04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Just to add a little more mystery to this whole "UV" lure trend...

Ultraviolet light is absorbed in most bodies of water within the top of the water column, to 20 feet or so. This leaves no UV light penetrating below that...

That was the conventional train of thought several years ago. If you read "What Fish See" that came out 10 years ago that is exactly what was put forth.

However, I have read several scientific research papers recently that show uv rays penetrate hundreds of feet, of course this depends on the clarity of the water.

Neptune
04-02-2009, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=dlm;6827]That was the conventional train of thought several years ago. If you read "What Fish See" that came out 10 years ago that is exactly what was put forth.

However, I have read several scientific research papers recently that show uv rays penetrate hundreds of feet, of course this depends on the clarity of the water.[/QUOTE

It is true the UV has the potential to penetrate further than visible light in water, but the max depth measured is 320 feet. And that is in Crater lake which has top water that measures at a clarity level that is higher than "Pure Water", scientists are still trying to figure that one out... Anyways, the point is that Fluorescent colors are accentuated by UV light and work without it also, so why limit yourself on visibility options by going with a strictly UV lure???

DLM
04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
[quote=Neptune;6853Anyways, the point is that Fluorescent colors are accentuated by UV light and work without it also, so why limit yourself on visibility options by going with a strictly UV lure???[/quote]

I agree 100%. I always buy uv, glow or fluorescent when available. But let the buyer beware. Some claims by tackle companies are less than accurate. I strongly urge one and all to purchase some type of blacklight.

I have found some of my tackle, that does not even represent itself as fluorescent, glows brightly under the blacklight.

By the way, I picked up a couple white glow in the dark gibbs the other day. When charged with any kind of light glow green/chartreuse, not white. I don't know if this will matter to the fish or not.