PDA

View Full Version : Pipeline Trick

Pac-a load-pete
03-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Thought I’d mention a trick that works for me at the pipeline, ranch or hideout. If I’m having a hard time getting bit I’ll put a Pink Taz 120 feet behind the downrigger and drop to 40 feet depth. After five minutes I pull the line out of the release and let the lure rise to the top. Repeat this on each downrigger dropping the ball 10 feet further each time till I consistently get bit. Seems to work great when the bites off.
Hope this work for those that try it.
Pac-a load

HiTechKoke
03-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I like that advice... I love doing that as a good way to end up the day as well. I'll drop the downriggers way beyond the Koke depth and then pop them off and drift them up to the top while cleaning up the boat and then just keep an eye on the rod for the take. A good way to impress the kids when it works. :-)

SilverBullets
03-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I've done something similar when the bite is slow... Sep calls it vertical hunting...this teases the kokanee to strike. Raise and lower the downrigger to change the depth, speed, and action of the lure.

Fallriverguy
03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
I have tried this but not with as much method or detail, more like what HTK mentioned. I have yet to have it produce.

BTW, what is a pink Taz?

SuperD
03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine hit the up button on the downrigger and forgot to pop the line out of the clip first. On the way up, a 28 lbs Mack hit his spoon. We called it downrigger assisted jigging. laugh hyst

SuperD
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
BTW, what is a pink Taz?

I believe it refers to the lure, tazmanian devil, seems to popular at FG.

FishHunter
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
I believe it refers to the lure, tazmanian devil, seems to popular at FG.

They are great lures. It was one of the first koke lures I ever used and it is in my top 5 for kokes and trout. It is the first lure I put on each day at Blue Mesa in Colorado because we have such great luck with them.

SilverBullets
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
They are great lures. It was one of the first koke lures I ever used and it is in my top 5 for kokes and trout. It is the first lure I put on each day at Blue Mesa in Colorado because we have such great luck with them.

Do you run these behind a dodger with the same leader length as a apex? Also, do you re-rigg with double hooks?

SmokeOnTheWater
04-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey All

Thought I'd share a tip about using Tasmanian Devils because it worked like a charm for me at the Gorge last year, all year! For those of you not familiar with them, the lure is plastic with a hollow lead core. Much heavier than an apex of the same size. They come rigged with a treble hook attached to a steel wire that runs through the lead core of the lure. Pull the wire out of the lure and free the hook then throw away the wire. Tie a leader (I use 12# fluorocarbon) directly to the treble and thread a plastic or glass bead onto the leader. The bead allows the taz to rotate easier on the leader material. Then thread the taz in the same direction as it was packaged (wide end is the head of the lure). Attach the leader to a flasher/dodger at your desired leader length, 18"-36" worked great for me since the taz has an eratic action all it's own. Dribble your favorite scent down the hollow core and begin your troll.

There is just one catch though. You MUST check the leader material under the lead core for abrasion periodically or you'll likely break off when the kokes hit. I believe that's why the manufacturer installs the steel wire through the lure, abrasion resistence.

Why go to all this trouble? Here's what happens. Most seasoned Kokanee fishermen talk about the softness of the mouth and by allowing the heavier lure to slide away from the fishes mouth prevents them from throwing the hook easily. Trust me - IT WORKS GREAT! ;)

Lundman
04-01-2009, 01:48 AM
At the pipeline most folks know the 3 or 4 points where the kokanees are stacked up. I used to fish these points and that started my kokanee addiction. The key was to drive right at the wall then turn sharp and go hard away, then start the 'S' turns... or the slow 'S' turns -- this almost always caused hookups... Unfortantely most will be smaller fish - under 16" - with the occasional larger fish -- this is a good way to start the kokanee learning curve.... ;)

That was three years ago -- I have since moved onto targeting bigger fish in new areas and don't fish the pipeline much anymore...

Once you can catch the little fellows then you can fine tune your offering and expand your horizons...