PDA

View Full Version : Fish Skinner Opinions

Dropshot
03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with the Townsend Fish Skinner? I was visiting with a veteren koke head at Odell last summer and he was going on and on about how great it was.

When camping I like to process my fish as much and as quickly as possible in camp. I even keep an extra vacumm sealer in the motorhome and I was thinking the fish skinner may make everything a little easier and maybe quicker.

bobco
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
they work just fine, I use one when I know I'm going to can the kokes, other wise if smoked or on the grill the skin stays on. you can achieve about the same results with a needle nose pliers but sometime you get a little meat to stick to the skin .

redmanjr1
03-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I've always left the skin on mine when I smoke...I find that it helps keep the meat more moist. Do you guys have a different process?
Bob

bobco
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I've always left the skin on mine when I smoke...I find that it helps keep the meat more moist. Do you guys have a different process?
Bob[[/I] I concure for smoking leave the skin on, the only reason to ever skin a koke is to can them IMHO.....

SuperD
03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
And if you are going to can them, leave the skin on until you've smoked them for about an hour and a half.

Kokanee Killer
03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
i will skin a catfish,but i also find the meat stays much more moist when leaving the skin on the kokes especially while smoking them,they do not dry out as much,even when they are red at spawn time i still leave the skin on to smoke them and they taste as good if not better than the silver kokanee of summerfencing

bobco
03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
And if you are going to can them, leave the skin on until you've smoked them for about an hour and a half.hummm so you smoke them before you can them?

SuperD
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
hummm so you smoke them before you can them?

You can smoke them just enough to add flavor and get the meat / skin to come apart. You don't want to do a full smoke or they'll get a little too dry in the canning process.