PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Peak 2009

fishinotis
03-22-2009, 11:21 AM
The fishing has started-really nice fish for this early in the year-caught one 17 incher and 3 in the 15-16 inch range. Using the old reliable Double Dees flasher and a pink wedding ring or a Kokanee killer worked best and as always some shoepeg corn. Look forward to hearing your results and tactics....

Bduck
03-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Good report. Where are you at? tongue2

redmanjr1
03-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Fishinotis, thanks for the report. I'm in Mountain Home but have never fished LP (I usally fish Anderson Ranch). Where is the best place to put in your boat? Thanks,
Bob

Fallriverguy
03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=fishinotis;6254]Using the old reliable Double Dees flasher and a pink wedding ring or a Kokanee killer worked best and as always some shoepeg cor

Were you using the Double Dee's in-line or off the ball?

fishinotis
03-24-2009, 03:16 AM
The best place to put in is at Spring Shores as that is where the fish are most of the time. I use the Double dees in line because there is so little drag with them. The fish are big enough that you dont have to worry about them not kicking loose from the downrigger. We also use trolling weights when we dont want to use the downriggers and they seem to work just as well unless the fish are real deep.

SteelieNut
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Sounds like Lucky Peak has some kokes worth chasing! I just landed a couple jobs in Wallace, ID. Is LP near there?

redmanjr1
03-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Wallace is about 9 hours north of LP. That would be a drive, even for those big kokes.

Bob

SteelieNut
03-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Guess I won't be doing that. Where is LP?

redmanjr1
03-25-2009, 11:00 PM
LP is right near Boise. Near you there is Coeur d'Alene Lake and Pend Oreille Lake. Coeur d'Alene Lake has Salmon to go with the kokes but I think the kokes are pretty small there if I remember right. Pend Oreille Lake is large and deep with a lot of Macks. Used to be a great kokanee lake but I think the macks have ruined that. South of you near Orofino is Dworshak Reservoir and that is a pretty good koke fishery. Those fish are also a little small compared to a lot of lakes you have fished but still a great time. I've fished there quite a few times. Lake Roosevelt in Washington is definitely a doable fishing trip (about 1 1/2 hours west of Spokane). That is some great koke and walleye fishing. Other good fishing near you in a whole bunch of different lakes is crappie, bass (small and large mouth), northern pike and trout). Well, that is about all I can think of for now. Good luck in Wallace. Northern Idaho is absolutely awesome.

Bob

SteelieNut
03-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info. That makes a 6 month stay in Wallace a little more nicer to think about.thumbsup

HappyHooker
03-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Well maybee I should have just fished lucky peak when I headed up to Arrowrock yesterday. I drove past spring shore on my way and it looked like a nice area to troll, I have never fished there (fairly new to the area). Thanks for the report, I'm glad to hear they are starting to bite.

coty449
05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I fished Lucky Peak for several hours on Thursday. I almost had the lake to myself. Very few fishing. Caught my limit with 2 rainbows and 4 kokes. It was slow although I lost over a half dozen good sized kokes. Three of the kokes boated were in the 17-18" range weighing 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lb with the other 14".
I was suprised because most of the fish were fairly deep even with surface temp of water 46-47 degrees.
Claude- Meridian

Bduck
05-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Good first post Coty449. Looking fwd to more. thumbsup

Firstmate5210
05-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Hello all koke enthusiasts. My grandpa got a boat 5 years ago and we are teaching ourselves how to fish the kokanee in l.p. one problem we've come accross is what time to go out there... in the past we would have the boat in the water about 8:30 in the morning and the fishing was great! but it seems the last two years we weren't getting many bites at all.. should we be out there at sunrise or not go out till the afternoon? it's about the only thing we haven't really figured out.

coty449
05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm an enthusiastic however I've got much to learn. One thing I have learned is the kokes have a mind of their own, especially this early. Generally I think the guidelines indicate early AM then afternoon is best. My experience this year has been very mixed at Lucky Peak. For example: on Tuesday we left home in Meridian at 5:30 AM so we were on the water before 7:00. Caught 1 in first 30 minutes then 2 hours later caught 2 then 2 hours later when we gave up, we had not had another strike other than a squaw fish. Ran into one guy who had 4 fish (kokes?) but most had zip or less than we had. The previous trip we started a little later and in 4 hours had 7 kokes and a bow. It was slow and spotty then with most caught later in AM.
I'm beginning to think getting up at the crack of dawn is for the birds and not really productive now. From my experience in previous years when ever the kokes really turn on the fishing is good about anytime. It would be interesting to hear what it's been like from others. Claude

superx2
05-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Last year we were consistantly hooking fish after 10am or so. First few trips we launched the boat at first light but didn't do well until later on in the morning.

DragginBalls
06-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Well I think the morning bite is very good up there right now. My brother and I went on Sunday and limited both of our boats to the count of 30 in 4 hrs. We were off the lake at 11:30 before the crowd showed up. Lots of people fishing that lake anymore.

coty449
06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
They certainly weren't biting today during the same period. No one was catching fish around Spring Shores. Lots of fish but no action, downrigger or otherwise. Anyone been to Anderson Ranch lately?

sthoge
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
LP is right near Boise. Near you there is Coeur d'Alene Lake and Pend Oreille Lake. Coeur d'Alene Lake has Salmon to go with the kokes but I think the kokes are pretty small there if I remember right. Pend Oreille Lake is large and deep with a lot of Macks. Used to be a great kokanee lake but I think the macks have ruined that. South of you near Orofino is Dworshak Reservoir and that is a pretty good koke fishery. Those fish are also a little small compared to a lot of lakes you have fished but still a great time. I've fished there quite a few times. Lake Roosevelt in Washington is definitely a doable fishing trip (about 1 1/2 hours west of Spokane). That is some great koke and walleye fishing. Other good fishing near you in a whole bunch of different lakes is crappie, bass (small and large mouth), northern pike and trout). Well, that is about all I can think of for now. Good luck in Wallace. Northern Idaho is absolutely awesome.

Bob

Pond Oreille is like Priest lake now, you have to release any Kokes caught. Real nice of the F&G to plant the Camloops Rainbow trout for so many years. They discovered over the years that doing so has devistated the Koke population. Now Kokes is closed and there is NO limit on rainbow or Makinaw in that lake. In fact they want you to keep any of those species you catch. CDA lake does have kokes in it, so does Spirit Lake, however as said they are small. The limit on Spirit is 15 and what we caught last week, only averaged about 6 inches in length.

luckykoke
06-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Ikes, that doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully they can get things turned around for you up there. Down here F&G is having a difficult time with the Squaw fish in Arrowrock. We were up there last week, caught some nice kokes, but also caught a ton of Squaw fish. We are heading out there tomorrow morning so I can post a report if anyone wants. Good luck to all that battle the rain this weekend.
Lucky

DragginBalls
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
I would be interested to know how Arrowrock is doing. The action yesterday was bad. My boat got skunked and my brother caught 8 at LP. Ewwww. I think the water rushing through has them goofed up, any opinions on that.

coty449
06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Went to LP this morning and fished out of Spring Shores. Naturally I had to go early. Started fishing at 7:30. I should have slept in. First 2 1/2 hours 2 fish and few strikes. Fish were seen at all levels but concentrated at what appeared to be around 50'. Surface water temp 63. Only had one release at 50'. Fished from 50 to 25' using large copper dimpled gang troll off of ball with dodger/lure 2' above and 5' back of end of troll. Caught all fish at around 30'.
Ended up fishing till almost 1:30 to get my limit of 6. All were 15-16" weighing 1 1/2 to a couple pushing 2 lbs. Finished product 6 1/2 lbs of beautiful Koke filets.
All were caught on a home made version using the Macks Smile Blades (chartruse and red) and chartruse and red beads with 2 or 3 trailing hooks (Gami) and shoe peg corn. Had a strike with a chartruse Pixie but didn't land it. Lost several fish at the boat. My netting when fishing alone leaves a lot to be desired.
I used my rubber band DR release using no. 18 bands. I used the last I had. Haven't been able to find any at local office supplies. No. 19 band is worthless, very difficult to break. Any suggestions on a good release?

Mojo
07-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Headed out for Leaky Peak in a few. I post a report when I get back.

Mojo
07-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Well it was a great day. Got to fish with my wife, and we limited out in 4 hours. Most fish were 17 inches, but we kept a few 14' fish because they were bleeders. All fish were at 25-30 feet or 5 colors. Most were caught on hoochies behind a dodger. 1.6 on the GPS.

My suggestion is fish when thewake-boarders are not on the lake. Today was nice.

oneeye
07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Mojo, what colors were you swinging? We were doing pretty well with green apex's behind green/glow dodger and couldn't get anything to hit on the hoochies. What boat were you in?

SteelieNut
07-02-2009, 06:31 AM
It's sure nice when things come together for a great day. Great report! Any pics?thumbsup

Mojo
07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Steelienut, no pics. I never even thought about it till after I had filleted them all.

oneye, pink, chartreuse, and glow all produced for us. I think we caught fish on every color hoochie I had out. Last week, glow with pink spots was hot, yesterday it was one of the slowest colors.

Mojo
07-02-2009, 09:46 AM
oneye, My boat is an old dark gray (almost black) alumaweld V-Sled. It's a 22 footer with a 200hp Merc and a couple manual big jon downriggers. It was just me and my wife yesterday.

oneeye
07-02-2009, 12:59 PM
I'll look for you next time, I'm in a white 20' CW tan top with a light tower almost a ringer for one of the patrol boats until I hook up the DR's and set the rods.
How long a leader you using on your hoochies ?
I might go fish a little before work friday morning if my trailer plug shows up today.

3RivrFishr
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
oneye, My boat is an old dark gray (almost black)

almost black? laugh hyst

It looks like a pirate ship that just lit off a cannon because of the smoke from the merc.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww144/raskerjr/DSCF3352a.jpg

Just kidding MoJo, its a great boat. Lots of fish blood has been spilled in it.
I'm done pestering you here...for now.

Glad you and MaJo got some quality time and some quality fish. Whats the limit at LP?

Mojo
07-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Ron, I'm the charter member of Team Smokin' Merc (Me and Jeff Jarrett). By the way, I almost remember the day that picture was taken... :)

Limit is 6 fish at Leaky Peak. I got 2 bags of fillets brining right now. As soon as I get back from float tubing Magic tomorrow, the smoker is on!

Mojo
07-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I think this was one of the results of that memorable day.

DragginBalls
07-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Waterskipper and I are headed up today to see if we can get them. He is taking his son and I am taking 3 guys that have never been. I will report back tonight!!!

3RivrFishr
07-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Whoever took that pic is a dang fine photographer! I dont remember a lot of details but I have this epic cluster recorded for posterity:

http://www.steelheader.net/photopost/data/500/DSCF3359b.jpg

That was a great day. What I remember of it. I wont forget how good those venison steaks were at Southforks' house.

Heres another from that adventure:

http://www.steelheader.net/photopost/data/500/DSCF3370b.jpg

Good times my freind...wish we could do it more often. Promise I'll leave the 100 proof at home! thumbsup

Might go fish Dworshak Monday. Not too many N. Idaho guys on here but I know a few who will be soon.

DragginBalls
07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
O.K. I ended up with 22 fish from 7:30 till 3:00. The fishing seemed to be way better for us than many others. We were fishing 41 ft. deep. We had 16 over 17 and 6 under. We threw several small fish back. We had one 19 incher.

kodiak1
07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Congrats, DragginBalls. We were fishing in the same area as you. I told my wife you must have had some newbies on board!! We were in the blue and silver Hewescraft with Penn downriggers and two Yamahas on back. We did pretty well ourselves, but all smaller fish, with most in the 14" range. We caught most of them at 30', and I am now guessing the big guys were deeper. What rigs were producing best for you today. Again, way to produce a good day for some first-timers. Mike

DragginBalls
07-04-2009, 09:27 AM
I was using Green apex behind double D's in the morning. All the years I have fished LP green in the morning is the way to go. I also had uv pink apex behind sling blades. At lunch we put on UV purple and a couple of pink hoochies behind the sling blades. We caught five fish between 1 and 3 all being the large version.

DragginBalls
07-04-2009, 09:32 AM
What were you and the wife fishing with Kodiak? Good to hear someone else had a good day. Waterskipper, my brother, got his 12 fish limit as well. He had some of the bigger fish as well. Did you see the guy that dropped his Troller off the back of the boat? It is in 146 feet of water. Bad day for them.

kodiak1
07-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, we were right there when it dropped. Maybe 30 feet away. That was painful to watch. I normally post on BigFishTackle, and described it on that site. A fellow who goes by IdahoRon responded with one of the funniest post I have ever read. You should check it out. We were fishing with either Jock Lloyds with a wedding ring with the green and red beads, or a dodger with a chartreuse hootchie. We picked up all our fish at 30 feet, but I have been somewhat frustrated at L.P. this summer. In past years, we have typically been one of the first off with limits each morning, but this year we are losing more fish, yesterday our fish were smaller (12-14 inchers), and I have resorted to experimenting with rigs. Oh, well, I will get back on my game eventually!!! Sounds like I was on top of the big guys yesterday. Anyway, kudos to the grandpa whose grandson let the motor drop, for not killing him on the spot. Mike

oneeye
07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
We didn't get up to the lake monday til 12:30 limited out by 5:00, all were 16 and two over, released a couple smaller ones. Got the chance to try out my new Daiwa heartland koke rods, most fun i've ever had koke fishing. Used a ooo/pink dodger and pink squid trimmed down to 2". 31' down. We had two doubles pretty good action all day then I decided to donate my net to the lake. getting those last two in the boat was interesting. Guess it beats losing my kicker!

coty449
07-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Anyone do any fishing lately? I was wondering if it's done?

DragginBalls
07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I have been going pretty regularly and it is still pretty good. You need to hug the banks a little more if there is a lot of boat traffic. Fishing between 30 and 40 on the downriggers. Pink hoochie or pink uv apex been the best. Double D's or sling blades for the hoochie. Green in the mornings just like always.thumbsup

coty449
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Dragginballs: Thanks for update! Where are you buying your tackle?

DragginBalls
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Howards in Nampa has some Radical Glow hoochies that have been the best performers. He has a few apex's. Sportsman usually has a good selection of apex lures but I havn't been in for a while. I went yesterday evening and it was tough. We turned back 4 or 5 sardines and kept 11 fish. We only caught one big one and the rest were 14" fish. Pink uv or straight pink and the purple uv apex caught most fish. Hoochie got the big one. Good luck!!!

kodiak1
07-31-2009, 12:25 PM
I have always wondered about many of the 2" hoochies being a bit large for kokes, esp. the smaller ones. And now that the big ones seem to have shut down in prep. for spawning, I ordered some of the new extra-small hoochies that are now out on the market. They are only 1 1/2"s and have gotten great reports. I bought mine online from Shasta Tackle. Also picked up their new UV pink mid-size sling blade to put in front of it. Always a sucker for new products!!! Any way, if you can't find it here in the valley, try Shasta or Kokaneemart.com. Mike

DragginBalls
07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
A friend of mine went up yesterday morning and they caught 8 big fish. They are not the 18 1/2" fish but they are all of 17. These fish seem to be just starting to get a small amount of color, as well as the ONE that I got in the afternoon. Mike, let me know how the small hoochies are working for you when you get back out. I have been catching a lot of fish in the trolling motor covelaugh hyst Most of the fish seem to be on the banks right now. 25 to 35. Mike

BlueBack79
08-04-2009, 11:32 PM
anyone heading up weekend? we will be going EARLY sat. morning. have only been to the peak a couple times this year. is anyone still fishing the narrows? we will be in a 19' smokercraft with a couple honda's (115 & 9.9) and downriggers.

kodiak1
08-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info, Mike. Yes, it will always be the trolling motor cove, won't it!!! I would head up, but I am heading out in a few days to go try and catch their bigger cousins, out on the Olympic Pen. There are 6 million pinks coming in this year, twice the size of the previous largest run since records have been kept. Since the coho should be coming in about the same time, hopefully I will find at least one vulnerable salmon out in the salt! I will definitely let you know how the new gear works. The Sling Blades arrived today, but the hoochies are on back order. Apparently, they are a red-hot item. Mike

DragginBalls
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Be prepared for slow fishing unless something has changed from Monday and Mike I am jealous of you. I usually try to go to Neah Bay but with work being slow I have to skip. Hope you get into them up there!!!

kodiak1
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks, we'll sure try. Just like Lucky Peak, with larger waves and larger hoochies!! Neah Bay has been hot for big kings of late. We prefer the quieter waters of Sekiu. Wish you could head out there this year. LP could pick up. Remember, the Sept. and Oct. fishing was good last year. Mike

oneeye
08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I may be able to help you out with the hoochies. ordered a bunch in bulk a month or so ago. What size are you looking for?

kodiak1
08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, mine have already been paid for; just waiting for the backorder to be filled. Have they worked well for you? Thanks so much for the offer. Mike

Excaliber
08-05-2009, 06:42 PM
They really shut off the last trip( Sat). We worked really hard for 10 and they were all smaller fish in the 10-14 inch range. We hooked a couple bigger ones that came off when they jumped.

Most fish were caught at 20'. There were big schools shallower and some were in the 40' range.
last saturday we had one that was 19" with several over 16". The biggest one looked like a Gorge fish. They all but dissapeared last trip.
We were seeing fish stacked up big time heading up towards the bridge. We worked them over but they wouldn't bite. Maybe they just don't bite once they head up the creek arm?

oneeye
08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
We fished monday from three til seven @ 27' with fifteen in the boat seven were nice fish (turning pink though) sixteen and over, with one still silver. the others were smaller fish. used a larger silver w/ silver tape dodger and pink or orange hoochie. from the bridge out.

oneeye
08-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Kodiak, if your hoochies dont come in in time look me up and i'll trade you out when yours arrive. I'd hate to make a trip and not have enough hooch !

kodiak1
08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks, Oneeye. Nobody nicer than fishermen!

Firstmate5210
08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Me and my grandpa hit LP today.. that was a mistake. The storm up there was terrible, there was mudslides and rock slides the whole way down the hill on the way home. The fishing wasn't much better. one squawfish is all we caught. we sure couldn't figure it out this year.. we tried a bunch of different depths, lures, colors, paterns.. nothing.. this was the worst year we've had.. any tips out there??

Mojo
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I'd start with speed. At the Peak, I do best trolling the high side of 1.5 to 2 mph. I caught fish all year from 25 to 35 feet consistently. If you do not have a downrigger, I would run a 2 oz trolling sinker on 15 pound test braid, then about 16 inches of mono to your dodger, then 10 to 15 inces to your hootchie or spoon depending on dodger size. I did really well on 4 or 5 different brands of dodgers. Send our 4 different ones first thing in the morning, and switch the other rods to the one that is getting all the fish. This season corn outfished gulp or power maggots, but not by much. I learned that lead line is great for hooking fish, but lousy for letting you land them. Kokanee can use the resistance of lead line to pull free.

There is my Lucky Peak Koke tutorial Ver 1.0 :D I'm sure there are others that have much to offer, as I only fished it 6 or 7 times. We did really well almost each trip, with one weather exception.

coty449
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I fished out of Spring Shores yesterday from about 10:30 to 2:30. It was hot, hot with very little wind. The two of us boated 7 brights, 12-13" and one red 17". As Mojo recommends troll speed was from 1.5-2.0 MPH. Caught all fish at about 25'. Deeper settings caught nothing. The 5 caught on DR, 4-5 pulls back from ball, set at 25', were all caught on a 3 0 copper shiny dodger, short leader (12") and a small 3/4" length green and white spin and glow, 3 green beads front and back with two Gami hooks and shoepeg corn. On weighted lines caught a fish (using 3 0 dodgers) on a chartruese hoochie with Mack's chartruese smiley blade, a purple headed crappie tube with red smiley blade and a 3/4" pink spin and glow. Of the weighted lines the one with the most strikes was the pink spin and glow. Dodger color didn't seem to make much difference.
Fish were very scattered, not near the shore, so when you find fish stay in that area. I spent more time in non-productive areas than I should have.
Fish were fairly aggressive and hooked well, with few lost even though, at times, one would have thought I was trying to beat them off with the net.

MMDON
08-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Anyone left that is still fishing L.P.?

kodiak1
08-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes; I have been wondering the same thing, MMM. Just got back from salmon fishing on the coast, and am now ready for their smaller cousins!! Hope to hear from somenone. Mike

kodiak1
08-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Well, since my wife wanted to take a ride this morning, we headed up to LP to see if anyone was fishing. There were two boats in the narrows, and one didn't seem to be doing very well, possibly due to a lack of d.r's, but the other boat w/ two fishing pulled two fish out in the 10-15 minutes we were there. They were down by the bay on the east side of the narrows, coming from S. Shores. Both fish came from the same spot, approx. the middle of the narrows. I think we are going to head up next Tuesday and give it a try. Hope this helps, MMM. Mike

coty449
08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I fished from 7 AM till 10 today out from Spring Shores just in the canyon narrows heading to LP dam. Had only 4 strikes catching only 2 12" kokes. I used a 3 0 dodger with the small green spin n glow/green beads and shoepeg on the DR fishing 25, 30 and 35 foot. I had no strikes. On another line I had a 4 Oz. weight with a 3 0 dodger and a chartruse Apex and shoepeg. At 23-25 2' pulls (and a steep angle in the rod holder-probably resulting in a 25-30 foot depth) I had one strike, not hooking. After quite a while with no activity I replaced the dodger on the weighted line with a medium string of pop gear and had, fairly quick, 2 strikes, hooking and landing one. On the DR I replaced the dodger setup directly off the ball to a setup with a large pop gear string off the ball and the dodger 5' above and about 7' back. After a while I caught one at 30 foot ball depth.
Also tried during trip: chartruse hoochie/spin n glow rig and a Pixie, dark green. No action on these.
Then nothing till I had sense enough to come home.
During the time I was there I saw only two boats trolling. I saw no one catch anything. Based on my experience the fish are just not very excitable needing more glitz and flash or something???? Dodgers alone doesn't appear to be enough. Regardless of what you might use expect it to be slow fishing.

MMDON
08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all of the info. I hoping to hit Ririe this weekend! Maybe the bite won't be a finicky???

kodiak1
09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
My wife and I hit L.P. this A.M. and limited in four hours. They were scattered depth-wise, with fish coming from 20, 25, 30, and 35. No one depth dominated, but 25' produced most of the fish in the last hour. The lead core also produced well at 3 colors, which is pretty close to 15 feet. Both Jack Lloyds with w. r.'s and Shasta Sling Blades with their new 1 1/2" mini-hootchie, both the blade and the hootchie in UV pink, produced equally. The fish, considering they are next year's class, are nice-sized. Mike

skipm
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Mike,

Thanks for that report. I am taking Friday off and thinking about heading up there. What area were you in? I will be putting in at Spring Shores.

Thanks!

Jeff

kodiak1
09-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Thats the place to be!! Ignore the boats fishing up towards the bridge. Stay in the narrows. Best fishing was around the point and south down the narrows to the large cove on the east side. If you have downriggers, start off at somewhere between 20 and 35, and put a lead core down 3 colors. Strangely, they seemed to come up a bit during the day. Ignore the schools in the 50 to 65' range. They just aren't interested in hitting, for some reason. We tried for them, and ran right through large schools, but to no avail. Good luck Jeff, and I look forward to your report on this site. Mike

kodiak1
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
L.P. was tough fishing today. My wife and I began about 7 AM and didn't have a single bite until about 9. Graphed very few fish, so figured they either had left the area (narrows) or were on top. About 9 they began jumping, and there was a moderate bite. Concentrated in a small area. We caught fish on the surface, 15, 20 and 25 feet. Didn't seem to matter whether we were pulling a Jack Lloyd with w. r. or a Shasta Sling Blade with hootchie. Ended up with one limit. Had a 19" very red spawner hit mid-day! Surprised me that any were still in there. She was in very good shape and fought like crazy. The only two other boats we saw had little success. One had one koke and the other had not so much as experienced a strike. Had lots of bites. They were hitting very light. Perhaps the fact that they are dropping the reservoir 2 1/2 feet a day might have something to do with it. Mike

upriver
10-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Has anyone been on LP recently? With the nice weather coming in for the next week or so I was wondering if anyone is going out or has been fishing lately?

Excaliber
10-31-2009, 02:24 PM
We just got back from fishing LP for trout off shore. We caught 12 in a little under two hours with a big bonus Yellow Perch but no Kokes.

upriver
11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I think I'll try trolling sometime this week. I'll post if anything happens...