PDA

View Full Version : Making Kokanee Lures?

Petty4life
07-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I know there are a couple guys on here that own tackle companys but is there anyone that makes there own design of kokanee lures?

KokaneeReaper77
07-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't know if it counts or not but i do make my own squid rigs buying the body seperate saves some money and you can add glow beads or a wing flasher if you want the biggest advantage is useing heaver leader then what they come with from the store i am going to start making my own spinners for koke's hear in the near future very easy to make and alot cheaper.

Petty4life
07-19-2008, 12:07 PM
lets see some pictures

KokaneeReaper77
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I still need a camera but when i get one i will be happy show you guys some. how about you petty post some pics of your secret home made lures LOL

Petty4life
07-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I still need a camera but when i get one i will be happy show you guys some. how about you petty post some pics of your secret home made lures LOL

ive got some ive made but i have a hard time testing them when im catching fish with tried and true lures. LOL I just saw a prototype lure yesterday that i had a hand in developing

KokaneeReaper77
07-19-2008, 01:04 PM
here is something i heard I have not tried yet but here it is. apex style lures you can make them real easy with apoxy? i don't know for sure if it is apoxy or not if any one knows how for sure let me know

JIGGIT
07-19-2008, 10:43 PM
the quest for the majic lure. ive been whipping up some of my own as well. real chrystal gemstone beeds. hand tied squids. as far their own stuff. i dont think so. when they can order peices and just assemble or paint and throw on a shelf. ive been pondering the idea juat for another right off. can you say research and developement right off. thumbsup

Propnut69
07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I have made a few in the past with limited success...Back in the day.I used to make my own pop-gear. Now I tweak a lot of the lures I use adding my own personal touch to them. I do enjoy making up different squid combo's ,adding different beads,and different color inserts into the bodies.

HookJaw
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I know most of you will laugh your heads off when you see this, but it really works!
So I make pop-gear for a little hobby. It tears up the trout pretty good and believe it or not, the kokes like it too.

Here's some of the patterns I have been making, I'm going to try a few at the Gorge this weekend and and see if I get any takers. Slayed em at causey last week with both the green glow and the Koke Killer.
Check it out! If anyone is interested in making some, let me know and I'll lead you in the right direction.

Quit Laughing!!! It works!thumbsup

Petty4life
08-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I know most of you will laugh your heads off when you see this,

No laughing here Matt, Those look pretty good.thumbsup

Kokaholic
08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Me neither. they look pretty dang good. As long as they assist in catching fish, bring them on.

BigIceHole
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I would be interested in learning how to make the koke killer, and green glow. Could you send me a PM

Kokehead
08-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Well I guess I'll spill the beans, I have a few secret custom home-made jobbers, and really kick some butt with them, especially causy, and the berry. LH2 has used them to testify.

Looking4silver
08-05-2008, 02:21 AM
so how can we purchase a few of these. I am filling boxes. I did talk to someone(kokehead?) at the willard tourney and he did mention reapers squids

JIGGIT
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
i have sone questions about uv? how is it applly it or is it a mix in product? would love to find a spray on uv brightener.

Petty4life
08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
i have sone questions about uv? how is it applly it or is it a mix in product? would love to find a spray on uv brightener.

all of Pro-cures gels now come with uv in them now , you can also just buy a bottle of uv unscented gel.

Kokehead
08-05-2008, 09:47 PM

I have a bottle of uv spray that I will give you up at the berry get to gether.

Lunkerhunter2
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, they make UV spray and gel for that purpose. One is called Fool-A-Fish and i forgot the other one. I have been using it on macks(oh oh, i just spilled the beans) and they LIKE it!tooexcited

JIGGIT
08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
COOL THANX GUYS. IVE BUILT A FEW KOKE SPOONS THAT I WANA HIT WITH IT. AND OYA CANT SPILL THE BEANS.laugh hyst

JIGGIT
08-14-2008, 01:28 PM
well ive got some real intersting koke lures built now. i designed 4 differnt types of lures.3 types per design action baits/ spiner baits/ squids/ and a thing i call a ball biat. built the action lures spinners and a ball bait so far. its been alot of fun. ashley came down last week when he came by i showed him the first style designs and 1 proto type of the action seiries. his eyes told me what i wanted to know. thumbsup. i beleive the action seiries will catch most types of fish. trolled or casted... now its onto the squids. how about the rest of ya. any one using their stuff yet? and how is it working out? ken

MackPrince
08-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I've been making glow hooks for years using a leadcore wrap on the shank to make a body for the paint both jig and baitholder style. There are no do-it molds that make a similar body so I just do it by hand. Powder paints glow a little longer than vinyl, although the vinyl's softness seems to help weary fish bite.

Like Reaper, I've also taken to making my own size and set-up for squid skirts using double hooks.

Here are a few sample photos. I apologize for the blurry cell phone quality.

SilverBullets
09-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I just joined up, and saw this thread. I also enjoy making my own lures, and customizing store bought tackle. The way I look at it, the more attraction the better. My downrigger weights look like disco balls, having around 6 different holographic tapes completely covering them. I also add tape to lures to change their appearance. Giving the fish something different seems to help. I have made hundreds of lures, and gotten into hootchies as well.. I have found useing pom-poms instead of beads inside the hootchie body's cures the rubber skirt melting into beads problem, and they also hold scent well. While making spinners, it seems contrasting beads can really attract these fish. It's funny how a certain lure knocks em dead for a while, then they won't touch it. Some day we'll figure these kokanee out!

Petty4life
09-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I just joined up, and saw this thread. I also enjoy making my own lures, and customizing store bought tackle. The way I look at it, the more attraction the better. My downrigger weights look like disco balls, having around 6 different holographic tapes completely covering them. I also add tape to lures to change their appearance. Giving the fish something different seems to help. I have made hundreds of lures, and gotten into hootchies as well.. I have found useing pom-poms instead of beads inside the hootchie body's cures the rubber skirt melting into beads problem, and they also hold scent well. While making spinners, it seems contrasting beads can really attract these fish. It's funny how a certain lure knocks em dead for a while, then they won't touch it. Some day we'll figure these kokanee out!

Would love to see pictures of your creations...tooexcited

SilverBullets
09-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Would love to see pictures of your creations...tooexcited

Petty4life... Thank you for the warm welcome! I wish I had a way to show you pictures, but I don't own a camera that can do that, and if I did I don't have a clue on how it's done. I guess I'm old school, sorry. I mainly look at different lure web sites and try to come up with something close and tweak it a bit. I use components from a variety of suppliers, and also incorporate some things from steel-head tackle into a few of my creations. The pom-poms I mentioned can be purchased from craft stores, and are threaded on the line with a needle. Also, I change lures like wee-tads and apex's with paint, glitter and holographic tape also found at the craft stores. In my experience, it's good to even have a selection of lures with the same color but a shade different, as there are days where just a shade difference will put fish in the boat. I have found that most days by using homemade lures that the fish don't normally see out performs store bought tackle by a large margin.

Petty4life
09-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Here are some I've been working on.
I took a couple RMT hyper plaid dodgers and painted them with orange and chartruce translucent paint. the other 2 are just something im playing with with a crushed clear tape
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=519

Petty4life
09-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Here are some glow humdingers i stripped the tape off and painted them with the same translucent paint and it glows threw the colors so it gives it the ac/dc effect, orange, yellow, base glow and pink. picture sucks
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=518

SilverBullets
09-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Those RMT dodgers and Shasta Humdingers look GOOD! I went to a kokanee seminar about a month ago put on by Gary M. of Shasta Tackle. He just put out some new U.V. dodgers that use a very interesting tape on them. I got a couple and have had great success with them. The tape goes from blue to purple to pink as you move the dodger. Hopefully the tape can be purchased by it self, as I cleaned out the tackle box's the other day and counted 95 dodgers...I swear I don't remember buying that many! I think I need to re-tape instead of buying any more! Ya right, who am I fooling. I will probably buy another 100 to store on the other side of the boat to keep the boat level.

Kokonuts
09-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I am new to this site & Love it!
Winter is going to be starting soon here in the Pacific North Wet, so I'll be working in the shop trying to make up some "STUFF" for next spring.

My question is would anyone be interested in a "Make & Trade" type of thing to see what works & whats hot.

I dont want to make any waves with the companys that sell ( I also have a boatload of tackle from them) but just have a little funn durning the winter.
Thanks, Kokonuts thumbsup