PDA

View Full Version : Daiwa Sealine or Shimano Tekota

redmanjr1
03-22-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm in the market for a couple of new rigs. I've pretty much decided on two of Vance's koke rods but need to pick out some reels. I have two Abu Garcia 5500LC's That I like okay (they are set up on some other rods I have) but would like to try something new. I think I've got things narrowed down to a Daiwa Sealine SG17LCA or a Shimano Tekota TEK300LC. I've done a lot of research on these two reels and both get very good reviews. I like the Shimano for its overall quality and great drag but it is spendy and I've read that it may be to big for kokes. I can get two of the Daiwa's for about the price of one of the Tekota's so that is a definite plus in itself. The Daiwa also seems a little smaller and may be a better fit with light/ultralight setups. I have also read that the drag is pretty good also. I don't mind spending more for quality especially in a reel. Does anyone have any hands on experience with either or both of these reels? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob

clamkin
03-22-2009, 02:41 AM
I'm in the market for a couple of new rigs. I've pretty much decided on two of Vance's koke rods but need to pick out some reels. I have two Abu Garcia 5500LC's That I like okay (they are set up on some other rods I have) but would like to try something new. I think I've got things narrowed down to a Daiwa Sealine SG17LCA or a Shimano Tekota TEK300LC. I've done a lot of research on these two reels and both get very good reviews. I like the Shimano for its overall quality and great drag but it is spendy and I've read that it may be to big for kokes. I can get two of the Daiwa's for about the price of one of the Tekota's so that is a definite plus in itself. The Daiwa also seems a little smaller and may be a better fit with light/ultralight setups. I have also read that the drag is pretty good also. I don't mind spending more for quality especially in a reel. Does anyone have any hands on experience with either or both of these reels? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob

I have both and use both for kokes. You can't go wrong with either. Matter of fact, landed our biggest koke today on the Shimano. The biggest king boated today was on Jared's new rod paired with the SG17.

redmanjr1
03-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks clamkin. Comparing both drag systems, which do you think is best?

Bob

Kokaholic
03-22-2009, 08:35 AM
How much are these two reels that you are looking at? I would take a look at the Teca reels I have both Shimano and The Tecas. They are both nice. Check these out at The Kokaneemart site. Ric sells these and he is one of our members and advertisers. They are great eels for the price. you wont go wrong.

From what I have been told, Teca makes Shimano reels.

http://store.kokaneemart.com/prostores/servlet/Categories?category=More+Good+Stuff%3AReels

Full_Monte
03-22-2009, 09:40 AM
If you are Googling "Teca", it's actually spelled "Tica". I bought a CM150 based on the recommendation of HiTechKoke, who has been a one-man band on this subject. He's probably tired of talking about it. If you want smooth, it's likely you won't beat a Tica. Mine has 13 ball bearings in it. I also have some other reels and have mostly preferred Shimano in the past. I haven't priced a similar Shimano, but I bet they would go for about twice what the Tica cost.

clamkin
03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
My Sealine reels have been tweaked with new drag discs by Alan Tani, so they are very smooth. The Tekota hasn't been taken apart since coming out of the box, but with some striper trips into the brackish Delta it's about due. Both drag systems are smooth. Both have landed trout and aggressive stripers to low teens in weight. I keep Power Pro 30(8 lb mono diameter) on the Tekota, which is why I can use it in a crossover fashion.

I have 3 Ticas as well. Very smooth gearing, especially if you take them apart to grease/oil the appropriate gears and bearings. But I haven't upgraded the drags in any of these yet. That's on the list.

Bduck
03-22-2009, 02:29 PM
My Sealine reels have been tweaked with new drag discs by Alan Tani, so they are very smooth. The Tekota hasn't been taken apart since coming out of the box, but with some striper trips into the brackish Delta it's about due. Both drag systems are smooth. Both have landed trout and aggressive stripers to low teens in weight. I keep Power Pro 30(8 lb mono diameter) on the Tekota, which is why I can use it in a crossover fashion.

I have 3 Ticas as well. Very smooth gearing, especially if you take them apart to grease/oil the appropriate gears and bearings. But I haven't upgraded the drags in any of these yet. That's on the list.
What model Ticas are you using?

redmanjr1
03-22-2009, 03:07 PM
How much are these two reels that you are looking at? I would take a look at the Teca reels I have both Shimano and The Tecas. They are both nice. Check these out at The Kokaneemart site. Ric sells these and he is one of our members and advertisers. They are great eels for the price. you wont go wrong.

From what I have been told, Teca makes Shimano reels.

http://store.kokaneemart.com/prostores/servlet/Categories?category=More+Good+Stuff%3AReels

Thanks Kokaholic. I can get the Daiwa for $89.99 and the Shimano for $179.99 but have been holding out for a while because I think there could be more fishing sales on the horizon. :D I have looked at the Tica's and like the looks of them but am really set on buying only a line counter reel. I guess I can't go to wrong either way and will probably make my final decision at the store when I can put each on a rod and in my hand. Thanks again.

Bob

redmanjr1
03-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Clamkin, where does one buy upgrade parts for reels to make improvements like you did? I would love to be able fine tune my stuff to the maximum extent possible.

Bob

SuperD
03-22-2009, 03:37 PM
here is a site with high grade replacement drag washers:

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

As far as reels go, if you are looking for a line counter for kokes, check size and weight between both. Personally, I feel like my tekota 300 lc is my best overall reel but a little big for kokes. The Daiwa, if smaller would be my choice if kokes were your primary fish to target. Personally, set backs are so short I don't see the point of a line counter. The Tica would be a great choice for a non line counter koke reel.

wahoohunter
03-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi redmanjr1-
I've been using two SG17LCA's for a couple of years and like them a lot. I'm going to change out the drags this year just 'cause I want to-no probs.
But....I was in a shop a couple of days ago and decided to take a look at an Okuma. Never thought I'd buy an Okuma, but I did. It's a Convector CV 15 D.
When I picked it up, I gave it the usual couple of cranks and it seemed smooth enough even though there are only two ball bearings (and 1 roller), but I'm not going to cast it anyway. The anti-reverse was instant and there wasn't any play before engaging like there is with the Daiwa's. It has a METAL SPOOL. Two handles-a paddle and a knob type single. Nice size-about the same as the SG17LCA. The drags are multidisk "Carbonlite"-a definite step up from the Daiwa's felt.
I'm really looking forward to trying it out.
All in all, the reel has a good feel to it-you might want to take a look at these also.
Oh yeah, I gave $74.95 for it.

redmanjr1
03-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I went to Cabela's a few days ago to look at reels and got a look at the Shimano and Daiwa's among a bunch of others. They didn't have the size in stock on the Sealine I wanted so I couldn't get a very good feel for weight and balance. The Tekota and Sealines both felt like very nice reels but one that really got my attention was the Okuma Catalina. It's a machined aluminum body that feels very light (but solid/strong) for its size and is very smooth with absolutly no backlash. It's more money than the Sealine but less than the Tekota at $140. Again, they did not have the size in stock that I would buy (the CT-15D). Anyone ever use one of these reels? I've seen posts from folks who have used the Okuma Convector but not the Catalina. The Catalina gets very good reviews and I think I may go with this reel. I'll probably do it soon because of the triple points deal going on with Cabala's Club if ordered online.

Thanks,
Bob

wahoohunter
03-28-2009, 09:32 PM
The Catalina is the most impressive reel I've seen lately.
Sadly, it's out of my price range so I got it's little bro, the Convector.
I handled the size you are looking for-the CT-15D. To say the least, it's very impressive. Very nice size and it should go well with any rod it is paired with. The reel seat is even held on with screws, not rivets! No way you will go wrong with getting one of those on-line.
Just a sweet, sweet reel. Pull the trigger-get it!!!
If I could afford it, I'd be on it like stink on doo-doo. tongue2

redmanjr1
03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks WahooHunter. Between you, BDuck and a few others on this site I'm going to go bankrupt!! laugh hyst I've pulled out my tacklebox and I think I'll re-tie some rigs tonight.

Bob

Bduck
03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks WahooHunter. Between you, BDuck and a few others on this site I'm going to go bankrupt!! laugh hyst I've pulled out my tacklebox and I think I'll re-tie some rigs tonight.

Bob Hey Wahoohunter, Mission accomplished! thumbsup laugh hyst

redmanjr1
03-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Well, just placed my order for the red lamiglas koke rods (2 ea.) tooexcited I'll go for the reels in about 2 weeks. Cabela's is supposed to have a fishing sale around that time and may get lucky in having what I want marked down. Things are starting to come together. Now if the weather would start to cooperate. thumbsup

smokepoles
03-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I have used a couple of the Convector CT15D for a couple of years. No problems, plenty strong, dependable drag. The aluminum frames on the Catalinas would add strength the larger sizes, but not at all needed in the 15 size.

redmanjr1
04-17-2009, 01:41 AM
The red koke rods came in about 2 weeks ago and I picked up my Catalina's (man, they are sweeeeet) two days ago. I'm ready when ever the weather wants to cooperate. Thanks to all for the info and advice. I think I have a couple of great rigs right now.

Bob