PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer to the big lake... where to go?

Salmonguy
03-18-2009, 05:27 PM
I am looking to make my first trip ever to Flaming Gorge in May and I am wondering what might be the best place to target for parking the camper and launching the boat? Are there preferred areas in this giant reservoir for chasing Kokes?

Any helpful advice on where to go or where to avoid would be appreciated…

SmokeOnTheWater
03-19-2009, 01:58 PM
First things first - get yourself a map of the Gorge and focus on the Wyoming side (North End) to start. I have found the kokanee in the larger bays like Anvil Draw north to Buckboard Crossing. When you get on the water, look for a congregation of other boats and start there. I've also read alot about the species and have come to the conclusion that I'm doing things right but have yet to break the 4 pound mark. I can get on the fish and put alot in the boat but they are usually the second or third year fish. My wife loves them for the fight and flavor. Camping along the lake is allowed on the Wyoming side but Utah restricts you to camping in approved campgrounds only. I guess there are pros and cons of both but the fishing makes up for the rest. Not knowing what size boat you have I would suggest going to the Buckboard campground rather than Lucerne. Both are Forrest Service campgrounds but Buckboard has new shower facilities and is a much shorter run the the areas I've mentioned above. Good Luck and look for us on the water, Black & Tan SmokerCraft.

Kokaholic
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Smoke on the water pretty much hit it all right on the head. Not much I can add to what he has posted. I would be prepared for temps from 20 deg to 75 deg. That time of year can be really up in the air and also can change from sunny and warm one day to snow the next. Go prepared for it all. Questions? Fire them at us. Most any of us can provide you with the answers you need.

Mark

SuperD
03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
SmokeOnTheWater, very helpful first post on your part. Look forward to your reports.

Ryno
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I am looking to make my first trip ever to Flaming Gorge in May and I am wondering what might be the best place to target for parking the camper and launching the boat? Are there preferred areas in this giant reservoir for chasing Kokes?

Any helpful advice on where to go or where to avoid would be appreciated…

You can camp along the shores of Flaming Gorge, anywhere you can get your vehicle. The best access is uplake in Wyoming, as you'll see from the maps. Smokeonthewater stated that camping was restricted to the campgrounds on the Utah end of the reservoir. I assume he meant "legally", and he may be confused. The reservoir is managed by the USFS and their regs encompass both sides. The Utah end of the reservoir is mostly canyon (sheer vertical walls, sandstone, etc.), so it is pretty difficult to camp on shore, but where you can access the water it is allowed. For instance you'll see campers in Antelope Flat, Linwood Bay, Stateline, Jug Hollow, and the back of Sheep Creek. If your looking for a developed area, Antelope Flat, Cedar Springs, and Mustang Ridge all provide USFS developed camping with close proximity to the lake. In May, you won't be far from great fishing at any of those sites. You'll find a lot more trees and scenery further downlake, but as indicated by the other responses, the fishing can be phenomenal uplake in May. Koke fishing usually gets hot in the middle of May, lakewide.

Check out the following link for some good camping/recreational info on camping at the Gorge: http://www.recreation.gov/

Hope it helps, Ryno

Bduck
03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Swim beach area is another area you can get close to the water. Lucerne has developed camgrounds. I think in loop D in the inner part of the loop has electrical hookups. Those are the ones that are hard to get. You can get some boat in camping areas on the Utah side, such as outside of Horseshoe Canyon. While you looking for a place to camp, especially on the Utah side, be sure you take in the scenery. Why its called Flaming Gorge. From a boat its a whole different view.

Lundman
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
BEWARE of the WIND --- the wind doesn't blow at the Gorge - it sucks!!! That's why boat size is a concern... the 4 foot white caps can come on fast and test your sea legs in a hurry...

For Scenic value check out HorseShoe Canyon & the Sheepcreek area - they are also good place to wet a line and GET OUT OF THE WIND....

The HUB is a great place for a cold BEVERAGE and a bite to eat. It's closer to Manila and the Utah side of the lake.

if you park/camp on the shore line you still need to purchase a park pass and the best buy is the 7 day pass. We usually purchase our at the grocery store in manila. Also in the grocery store is a GREAT homemade ice cream parlor - we usually get one for the trip home..

Hope the tib-bit s HELP